Highlander Hacks

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2008, 05:02 PM
Enthusiast
Smile Highlander Hacks

Well, I finally found the car I was looking for. A nice new 2008 Highlander Hybrid. Now I need to find out how I can get some hacks for it, like the navigation, the EV mode, etc. Anyone know a good place to start?

Old 06-26-2008, 06:28 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Highlander Hacks

The 2008 HiHy already has an EV mode button.

Old 06-26-2008, 08:13 AM

How about a 5000 watt inverter/genset mounted on a tag-a-long single wheel, swivel wheel trailer..? The genset could be used to charge, more efficiently charge, the hybrid battery when traveling on the hwy when no regen capability is available, generally speaking.

You could probably even have a control circuit that kicks, starts, the genset just before the hybrid battery discharges to the level that the ICE will begin to be used to recharge the hybrid battery.

Size the genset correctly according to the maximum charge rate of the hybrid battery and the genset engine could always run ONLY at Maximum RPM, its most efficient FE.

Old 06-26-2008, 08:27 AM
Enthusiast

Yea, I know it has the EV button, but 1 mile at 25 MPH?

Old 06-26-2008, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by KarlWireless
Yea, I know it has the EV button, but 1 mile at 25 miles per hour?
That is mostly a limitation of the battery. A hack isn't going to improve that.

Here is an example of when the EV mode might be useful:
Your vehicle is not warmed up and you gave to cruise around in a parking lot with some traffic. Without EV mode, the engine would kick on after a few seconds and would be running unnecessarily while you scoot around at low speeds in the parking lot. With EV mode, it will delay the engine kicking on. Then you could rely just on the battery until you get out on the main road and the engine is actually required.

If your vehicle is warmed up and in Stage 4, does the EV mode serve any purpose?

Old 07-04-2008, 11:11 AM
Enthusiast

This does not work on my 2008 HiHy. After parking overnight (temp about 70), the ready light comes on then the engine starts in about 15 seconds. Attempts to activate EV mode result in "EV mode not available" message. I would really like for this to work because the first mile after I leave my house is all downhill.

Old 07-05-2008, 05:46 PM
Enthusiast

Agreed, I have the same issue. I'm sure there is a way to set the system to simply use the battery until drained, rather than just going on and off like it does.

Old 07-11-2008, 12:36 PM
Peakoil

I have two miles of downward travel and always make sure the battery is mostly used up when I get home and use the engine warm up time to charge the batteries. Wonder is an engine block heater would be easy fix to this situation?

Old 07-19-2008, 10:08 PM
04 prius 350,000km

Originally Posted by veeber
This does not work on my 2008 HiHy. After parking overnight (temp about 70), the ready light comes on then the engine starts in about 15 seconds. Attempts to activate EV mode result in "EV mode not available" message. I would really like for this to work because the first mile after I leave my house is all downhill.
if you had a EBH installed, (even in weather conditions above 70 F) do you think that limitation can be defeated?

Old 10-06-2008, 06:47 PM
08 Highlander Hybrid Ltd
Default Re: Highlander Navigation Override

There is a link to get Navi override
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Toyot...mZ290266003768

Quick Reply: Highlander Hacks

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands