Intermittent Tones

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2006, 03:47 PM
Enthusiast
Default Intermittent Tones

When I turn a corner or go down a steep hill, I occasionally get a ding-ding-ding tone. Same tone as when the door is ajar or the seatbelt is not secure. This has happened 9 times in the past month. The tone goes away after 5 seconds to one minute. I always wear my seatbelt and the door is never ajar. I have 2500 miles on my base Hybrid. Anyone else have this problem? Any ideas what it might be? Will take to the dealer as soon as I can.

Old 08-13-2006, 05:19 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Intermittent Tones

Same thing here when I turn real fast.

Old 08-13-2006, 06:53 PM
Active Enthusiast

Hmm... I wonder if it's the HiHy' VSC (Vehicle Stability Control) giving you false-positives (i.e. set too sensitively). It's supposed to "ding" when it's activated...

http://www.autobytel.com/content/sha...cle_id_int/654

Old 08-14-2006, 08:05 AM
Charged

Yup, it's your "traction control" notifying you that one or more of your wheels is slipping. The OEM tires that come on the Highlander are four individual piles o' crap. They'll slip-n-slide at the slightest provocation. Now unless your stability control is indeed giving you false positives, you have three choices:

1) Live with the dinging
2) Start driving like Grandma
3) Upgrade to better tires with a wider profile and realistic grip

Old 08-18-2006, 02:56 PM
Enthusiast

Hello all,

I suspect that it is the weight sensor in the front passenger seat. This issue has been discussed here on another thread, but basically if you lean on the passenger armrest, it's easy to cause this. On the rare occaision it happens to me I ignore it anymore.

Also, I have found the "Michelin Energy"s quite capable on my Hihy. Do the slipping folks have badyears? I almost never hear from VSC.

Happy hypermiling
-Rodney

Old 08-18-2006, 03:13 PM
joe540ci

moneypenny what tires came on your hilander ? I have michelin energy.

Old 08-19-2006, 05:49 AM
Automania Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rodney12
.....Also, I have found the "Michelin Energy"s quite capable on my Hihy. Do the slipping folks have badyears? I almost never hear from VSC.

Happy hypermiling
-Rodney
I have the Michelin's on my HH and they are great in the summer, but terrible in the winter. There is no traction to speak of on wet snow. Living on a hill I just ordered a set on Michelin Alpine's and wheels to install for the winter. As my wife pointed out is it worth getting in an accident over just to say you didn't have to buy snow tires.

Old 08-19-2006, 07:53 AM
Enthusiast

I determined that the cause of the intermittent tones is the weight sensor in the front passenger seat. I frequently rest my right arm on the armrest of the passenger seat. I noticed (this week) that the passenger side airbag indicator light on the dash lights up when I hear the tone.

Old 08-21-2006, 12:37 PM
Charged

Originally Posted by JOE540CI
moneypenny what tires came on your hilander ? I have michelin energy.
Came with the Goodyears.