Question about who sd buy SUV Hybrid

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2006, 10:24 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Question about who sd buy SUV Hybrid

I have been thinking about the Toyota HyHi. Searching the thread, it looks to me like it makes sense for someone who wants to buy an SUV anyway, but perhaps not for others. A search of the thread suggests that people are getting MPG of low to mid 20's. That is only a tad better, if at all, than my Volvo 850 wagon (pure city around 17, pure highway around 27 at 65 mph, 29 at 55 mph), I probably average 22). I drive around 20 miles to work each day, mostly freeway. I like a wagon, but have no great desire for an SUV unless the HyHi got significantly better gas mileage, which it doesn't seem to. Comments? Am I missing something?

Old 04-06-2006, 11:28 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Question about who sd buy SUV Hybrid

I used to drive a wagon and loved it (an old Volvo, actually) but have been just fine since I transitioned to something smaller. I look at the hybrid SUVs as good for people who absolutely need the added volume on a daily basis. I would never buy one because I would probably use the extra capacity twice a year. OTOH, if I had a wife, three kids, and a dog who all needed to go places (i.e. vacation) at the same time on a regular basis I might consider it vs. something else. But you can bet the other car would be smaller and take the bulk of the mileage.

A hybrid station wagon would be great as far as I'm concerned. Unfortunately I don't know that there is enough of a market. SUVs and minivans took over, and only a few companies (Subaru and Volvo) managed to move them. Maybe we'll get a V50 or V70 Hybrid one day? Volvo is owned by Ford, afterall.

Old 04-06-2006, 11:41 AM
Active Enthusiast

A hybrid Volvo would be ideal from my perspective. I could go for the the Prius, but it lacks upgrades like leather and heated seats, and more importantly, I am not sure about the seats. I have a bad back.

Old 04-06-2006, 12:28 PM
Prof. of Hybridology

Not to detract you from the HiHy, or the 400H, but have you looked at the Ford Escape Hybrid? 30+ MPG rather reliably. Now that we're heading towards warmer weather, I just logged a 400 mile, 36 MPG tank, with a 4WD FEH (My normal commute is 83 miles, 80 of them expressway). I have it because my job sometimes requires me to haul a large amount of equipment and a passenger, and because, admittedly, I'm used to SUVs, as I had a '95 Explorer. (And I'm Ford A Plan, so I got a sweet deal on it.)

That said, beyond the immediate FE, there's also the big difference between city and expressway driving. Depending on your city driving, you may be able to do a majority of it without using the ICE, which would vastly improve FE, and the other benefits, such as the environmental ones.

Ultimately, the choice is to the user, there's nothing anyone can say that should convince you, only inform you to make a wise decision.

Old 04-06-2006, 12:47 PM
Active Enthusiast

To be honest, I owned a Ford Taurus years ago, and thought the car was only fair. The heater was not great, the build quality was okay, but nothing special. Had some rattles. How does that compare with your Ford?

Old 04-06-2006, 08:21 PM
Active Enthusiast

Wow, Pravis... excellent!!

We test drove the FEH, but my fiancee had the final decision since it would be her primary car. I still have my reservations about Ford quality, and there were a few things I certainly like better about the HiHy, but I was, and still am, enticed by the better numbers it gets vs. the HiHy. Plus I like the looks better too. My fiancee says that's because it's a guyie car vs. the HiHy which is more girlie. I reluctantly agree.

Good going on the tank! I can't wait for it to warm up here!

Rick

Old 04-07-2006, 01:06 AM
Prof. of Hybridology

Originally Posted by diver110
To be honest, I owned a Ford Taurus years ago, and thought the car was only fair. The heater was not great, the build quality was okay, but nothing special. Had some rattles. How does that compare with your Ford?
Kind of a silly question isn't it? If I wasn't satisfied, do you really think I'd be posting data here, writing a FAQ, recommending it, and commenting on it, or being a moderator here?

Anyway, my FEH has been exemplary. I think it's made out of great stuff, and haven't had any system quirks, odd noises, or anything that's not supposed to happen. Oh sure, there's little stuff I'd like different, but unless they make a car using my input, what car won't have that? (And it really is small trivial stuff, like a memory seat button for example) It seems Ford is banking on the FEH to be a turnaround vehicle for them, in helping them create a new image of quality and technology.

Now, some people have had their complaints. There have seemingly been a few lemons out there (as a recent thread over at the FEH forums painfully points out), and some people have been having a hard time adapting to get the most out of their hybrid, but really, outside of a few very unhappy people (Probably the same number of people who have come here to complain about the HiHy and 400H; or any of the other hybrids), most people are quite satisfied with the vehicle.

Rick (ender21) thanks, I've been looking forward to the warm for a while. Last summer I went a few months with no tank below 34.2 MPGs, though the Michigan winter here has taken it's toll, a few tanks at 29-28 in subfreezing temperatures really damages your lifetime average!

Old 04-07-2006, 05:55 AM
Active Enthusiast

Ender, at almost 30 mpg (which I would view as very acceptable), I notice the MPG you are getting is higher than some other posts (I think one was 22 MPG, around what I get in my Volvo 850). What accounts for the variation? Some suggestions I have heard include break in and avoiding short trips (in fact, my commute is around 20 miles one way). Any comments in this regard would be helpful. Also, if you have a sense what others typically get, and could share that, that would be great.

Old 04-07-2006, 06:00 AM
Active Enthusiast

I find your comment that my question was silly a little gratuitous. I think my question was understandable under the circumstances. Also, many of my concerns arose in the second and third year of ownership. You, of course, could not have owned your car that long. Still, I am glad you are happy with it. It sounds like I should give it a test drive.

Old 04-07-2006, 06:30 AM
Automania Enthusiast
Thumbs up Re: Question about who sd buy SUV Hybrid

Originally Posted by diver110
Ender, at almost 30 mpg (which I would view as very acceptable), I notice the MPG you are getting is higher than some other posts (I think one was 22 MPG, around what I get in my Volvo 850). What accounts for the variation? Some suggestions I have heard include break in and avoiding short trips (in fact, my commute is around 20 miles one way). Any comments in this regard would be helpful. Also, if you have a sense what others typically get, and could share that, that would be great.
What I post for mileage on my HH are 'real world' numbers, average day to day, in town and highway mileage for a weeks worth of driving with hills and cold weather. I could pick and choose what I entered or load it so my averages would be higher, but I never saw any sense in that. On warm days (50's) I'm seeing over 30 MPG in town, but add in the cold mornings, up and down some pretty good hills to get to our house and in the area and that drops the overall average down. To put it in comparision my V6 S10 only avraged 12 MPG in the cold NE, I can take my worse 21-23 MPG with my HH and still beat all the gas only powered ones.
I love my HH and am 100% satasified and wouldn't trade it for anything I believe that sums it all up in my book

Last edited by Bob259; 04-07-2006 at 12:13 PM.

Quick Reply: Question about who sd buy SUV Hybrid

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands