Question about who sd buy SUV Hybrid

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2006, 05:12 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Question about who sd buy SUV Hybrid

Thanks Geekgal. I checked out the website. For some cars there are two are even 3 numbers given for emissions without an explanation of why there are multiples. For a recent model Volvo V70, for example, the numbers were 6, 7, and 9.5(!). Do you know why they give more than one figure?

Originally Posted by GeekGal
Quite likely, yes. I'm not familiar with either model, but I've compared my 1992 Toyota Corolla, hubby's F-150 Supercrew 4x4 pickup, and our new 2006 Ford Escape Hybrid and the hybrid is the only vehicle -- regardless of fuel economy -- in that lineup that qualifies as a SULEV (Super Ultra Low Emission Vehicle... silly gov't acronym for *very* low emissions).

You can compare vehicles, including their emissions levels, by going to the EPA/Dept. of Energy website, http://www.fueleconomy.gov/ and selecting the "Compare Vehicles" link.

Old 04-12-2006, 08:50 AM
Enthusiast

I'll second the thanks to Geekgal! Great site for comparing vehicles.

Old 04-12-2006, 11:12 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by diver110
Thanks Geekgal. I checked out the website. For some cars there are two are even 3 numbers given for emissions without an explanation of why there are multiples. For a recent model Volvo V70, for example, the numbers were 6, 7, and 9.5(!). Do you know why they give more than one figure?
Don't quote me on it, but I took the charts to mean that different states (such as California and some in the Northeast) have different emissions standards they hold different vehicles to. For instance, my 2006 Ford Escape Hybrid isn't shown as a SULEV (Super Ultra-Low Emission Vehicle) in Texas, where I live, yet it's the same vehicle in Texas as it is in California, so the difference seems to be emissions standards. I may be in error, in which case I'd appreciate someone else's interpretation/explanation, as I find it a little confusing as well.

Old 04-12-2006, 12:25 PM
Active Enthusiast

Thanks. I put out a general question on the subject.

Old 04-12-2006, 12:36 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Cool!

Here's a link to the general thread, in case someone starts out here and wants to follow your new thread.

Old 04-12-2006, 04:45 PM
Prof. of Hybridology

Originally Posted by GeekGal
Don't quote me on it, but I took the charts to mean that different states (such as California and some in the Northeast) have different emissions standards they hold different vehicles to. For instance, my 2006 Ford Escape Hybrid isn't shown as a SULEV (Super Ultra-Low Emission Vehicle) in Texas, where I live, yet it's the same vehicle in Texas as it is in California, so the difference seems to be emissions standards. I may be in error, in which case I'd appreciate someone else's interpretation/explanation, as I find it a little confusing as well.

Ah. I replied in the general thread already, since I read that one first.

Anyway, you're correct, as I elaborated on in the thread.