Test driving a HiHy Limited on Fri!

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2006, 05:57 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Test driving a HiHy Limited on Fri!

Hey there HybridBob,

I too went back and forth between the Prius and the HiHy. I am 6'8 and 250ish lbs. For me, the shifter on the dash was the killer. I would have had to keep my size 15 right foot turned on a 90 degree angle to keep my knee low enough to go under it. I shudder to think what would happen in an accident so I abandoned my pursuit of the Prius. After a few days of sadness I checked out the HiHy and the rest is history. I am driving the cleanest car I can actually fit in. Still getting 28 MPG in mixed driving and winter temps.

Good luck with your purchase. It would be hard to go wrong either way.

Old 01-21-2006, 12:16 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Test driving a HiHy Limited on Fri!

Originally Posted by SomervillePrius
Thanks for the encouragement. I'm 6,3" and 200lbs and mostly legs/arms so I'm a little concerned with the space in the Prius. But I did compare it to the volvo (on edmunds.com) and it's actually on paper not much smaller.

I also realized that it makes no sense for me to drive a bigger car to and from work. It's such a waste of resources (looking at your data the prius has twice the gas mileage of the HiHy). And for the money I save I can rent a nice car if I need to go long distances with luggage and dogs etc.

It also sends the right message to the car industry. I want a luxury hybrid... to me that means a Lexus with great gas milage... let's hope the start selling a camry based lexus still using the 2.4 liter engine... or even better the next gen hybrid... that would be a great car for my (then) wife
Im 6'3" 280lbs

And I fit /ride /drive comfortably in my 04 Prius and I get in & out with no difficulty .. I looked at the standard Hilander $24000 compared to the hybrid model $33000 , the gas mileage was not that much more different to spend the extra cash..