2005/2006 Prius questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2006, 08:19 PM
Enthusiast
Question 2005/2006 Prius questions

Hi, I purchased a Prius 2005 over a month ago and I have a few questions about it. Thanks in advanced.

1- How bright are the headlights supposed to be?

When I drive my Prius during the night a lot of cars flash me their lights telling me I'm driving with high beams but I'm NOT!!! So I took the car to the dealer and they told me the lights were at the right level.

2- Do you have a glare from the green control panel that reflect with the windshield while driving at night?

First time I drove at night with my Prius I noticed this glare but it doesn't really bother me anymore. I just wanted to know if they fixed that problem in the '06 Prius.

That's all the questions for now. Other than that I love my Prius, if I have more questions I'll post them later. Thanks!!!

Old 04-13-2006, 08:39 AM
World's First Hybrid
Default Re: 2005/2006 Prius questions

Originally Posted by himster
Hi, I purchased a Prius 2005 over a month ago and I have a few questions about it. Thanks in advanced.

1- How bright are the headlights supposed to be?

When I drive my Prius during the night a lot of cars flash me their lights telling me I'm driving with high beams but I'm NOT!!! So I took the car to the dealer and they told me the lights were at the right level.

2- Do you have a glare from the green control panel that reflect with the windshield while driving at night?

First time I drove at night with my Prius I noticed this glare but it doesn't really bother me anymore. I just wanted to know if they fixed that problem in the '06 Prius.

That's all the questions for now. Other than that I love my Prius, if I have more questions I'll post them later. Thanks!!!
For question 1: If you purchased the vehicle used, the previous owner may have swapped out the halogen headlight bulbs and installed HID headlights (which are 3x brighter) and high voltage ballast without changing the entire reflector assembly. ??? Check to see if they are indeed HID bulbs (look for a ballast module somewhere under the hood) and then look on the outside front of the plastic headlight assembly to see if there is an "HID" imprint or "HB2" or "HB3" imprint. If the bulbs are HID (high intensity discharge) and you have "HB2 or HB3" imprint (for halogen only), then you will need to remove the bulbs and high voltage ballast system and replace the bulbs with std halogen lights.

Or maybe the previous owner replaced the low beam halogens with the wrong part (high beam halogen).

If you like HID lighting, then you will need to replace the whole reflector assemblies with OEM parts. Will cost you plenty of cash, maybe 400-800??? depending on where you get the parts and if they are available for your model Prius.

Can't answer question 2.

Last edited by ralph_dog; 04-13-2006 at 08:42 AM.
Old 04-13-2006, 09:52 AM
Happy Hybrid Owner

I just got an '06 Prius in January, without the HID headlights, and I too get "blinked" a lot. I assume the lights are adjusted properly since I just bought the car new. I think it must just be something about the configuration that seems "high" to some people. We had the same problem with our Ford Escapes, I assumed it was because it was a bit higher off the ground than most cars, but that's certainly not true of the Prius.

Didn't notice any particular glare on the windshield, but I'll check again tonight.

Old 04-13-2006, 10:01 AM
Enthusiast

I have both problems aswell. The other drivers think that I am on high beams too. I just turned the high ones on a couple of times and no one flashes me anymore.

As for the glare on the windshild, if you lower the brightness of the HUD it goes down.

Old 04-13-2006, 11:09 AM
Active Enthusiast
Location: Two miles N of the technology 'center-of-the-world' in 1903, on the Outer Banks of NC

You weren't given the 90 min delivery when you picked it up were you?

Actually tonight when you drive use the 'roller dial' for the dash illumination. If it's set on normal daylight setting; i.e. 'full glare' , turn it down slightly toward the floor. You will feel a 'ridge' immediately and once over the ridge your screen and HU display will go to a darker background and the glare on the windshield will go away.

Did you get the one week, two week, 4 week SKS disabling tour?

Old 04-13-2006, 12:53 PM
Happy Hybrid Owner

Wha? "1 week, 2 week, 4 week SKS disabling tour"??? Please explain!

Old 04-13-2006, 07:23 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kdhspyder
You weren't given the 90 min delivery when you picked it up were you?

Did you get the one week, two week, 4 week SKS disabling tour?

I'm sorry....I also did not understood about the tour.

Ralph_dog I purchased my car brand new, so I'm sure it doesn't have those annoying blue halogen lights...my car came straight from the dealer...well it actually had 700 miles on it but it was the test drive one from the dealer. I got a nice deal that's why I got the 2005. The only thing I regret about it is not getting the 2006 which comes with mp3 player.

Last edited by himster; 04-13-2006 at 07:32 PM.
Old 04-15-2006, 06:59 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I had this probelm on my 04 the floating head light reflector had to be ajusted down like a 1/2 inch at the dealer no more flashers the illumination was still the same you just arent squirrel hunting...

P.S. I went to the dealer and they told me the lights were properly ajusted.. I told them to reajust them down a little.. they did and no one flashes me any more these where the Halogen stock head lights.. Theres nothing wrong with your car just ajust the head light reflectors down a little....

Last edited by PriusGuy04; 04-15-2006 at 07:03 PM.
Old 04-15-2006, 08:09 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks PriusGuy04, I think that's the problem and I guess I have to give a visit to the dealer.

Old 04-16-2006, 06:38 AM
Happy Hybrid Owner

Yeah, thanks, I'll mention it too when I take mine in for the first (5K) service in a month or so.

Quick Reply: 2005/2006 Prius questions

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands