$61 Oil Change - I can't win!

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2007, 03:10 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: $61 Oil Change - I can't win!

Rhino ramps are plastic and easy to store. They have been out for years now. Wish they were around when I was a kid.

Old 03-22-2007, 04:51 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SoopahMan
Is the Fumoto Valve something you install just once then...
Yes, you install it in place of the oil drain plug, then leave it. (I installed mine two oil changes ago.) Resist's concern about damaging it is valid and something I considered before I added it. But no one here or on the Prius forums has ever reported a problem, so I went with it.

Old 03-23-2007, 04:25 PM
Enthusiast

It gets worse... ever since this oil change, when I turn the car on "Maint Required" blinks for 7 seconds until the gas engine begins warmup. The light stays off for the rest of the ride, but comes back on consistently every time I start the car until battery-only operation ends.

Argh.

Bob, thanks for the curb suggestion, that might not be so tough to do. Is the Fumoto Valve something you install just once then, or is it a problem to drive around with?

Resist, how large and heavy are those Rhino ramps? Is it something I could store easily in an apartment and stroll out to a low-use section of the 5mph street in my complex with? Or is it something pretty massive and heavy?
First of all...61 bucks for an oil change with synthetic is not bad, half of that cost is just the oil and the filter.

As far as the Maint required, they just didn't reset the light. I am not sure what the Procedure is, just look in the owners manual, and you can rest the Maint light, or someone on here can recant the procedure. It takes about 20 seconds.

The oil change is an easy thing to do, and I encourage it. It will save you money in the long run, and you will know the job was done right.

The Fumoto Valve, is installed in place of the stock oil drain plug, and has a valve that you just twist to change the oil. Makes it easier, faster and cleaner. See link...

http://www.fumotovalve.com/

On Edit...

Here is the procedure to rest the Maint light...

To turn off the flashing Maintenance Indicator Light (oil change reminder):

1. Turn the power switch IG-ON and make sure that the ODO/TRIP meter is displaying the odometer.
2. Turn the power switch OFF.
3. While pushing the ODO button, turn the power switch IG-ON.
4. The reminder light will flash until the reset is completed.
5. The reset is complete when the reminder light turns OFF. Release the ODO button.
6. After the reset, the ODO/TRIP meter displays as a set of zeros for 1 second, then displays the your normal odometer mileage.

Good Luck,
Bill

Last edited by Redapple; 03-23-2007 at 04:30 PM.
Old 03-28-2007, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by Resist
Rhino ramps are plastic and easy to store. They have been out for years now. Wish they were around when I was a kid.
I would never drive a car up on ramps and would never get under a car on ramps.

For my Civics, I use a floor jack to lift the front of the car. In my gravel driveway, I use a strip of plywood as a base for the floor jack.

With my Prius, I don't need to jack the car up at all, so there is no need for ramps or a floor jack. I can get to the oil drain plug and the oil filter with the car just parked in my driveway.

Harry

Old 03-28-2007, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by Earthling
I would never drive a car up on ramps and would never get under a car on ramps.
And your concern is what? Rhino ramps will hold more than the weight of the vehicle. They are not like ramps of old.

Old 03-29-2007, 05:59 PM

Thanks very much RedApple, I performed those steps and now I'm at least driving a car without warning lights. It occurs to me that even if I did find some quiet part of my complex to do an oil change at this point, it's mostly uphills and downhills... not the place to put a car on a ramp eh? There is just one spot that's a mostly gradual peak of a hill I could try I suppose. I had a lot of nerves about doing my own car mod and that went perfectly so I suppose I could just be being silly about this... .

Old 03-30-2007, 04:36 AM
Active Enthusiast

Thanks very much RedApple, I performed those steps and now I'm at least driving a car without warning lights. It occurs to me that even if I did find some quiet part of my complex to do an oil change at this point, it's mostly uphills and downhills... not the place to put a car on a ramp eh? There is just one spot that's a mostly gradual peak of a hill I could try I suppose. I had a lot of nerves about doing my own car mod and that went perfectly so I suppose I could just be being silly about this... .
For added safety (and peace of mind) on those hills, I suggest wheel chocks.

Old 03-30-2007, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by Resist
And your concern is what? Rhino ramps will hold more than the weight of the vehicle. They are not like ramps of old.
I am not sure what Rhino ramps look like, but a floor jack will take up less room. I had a ramp settle into a gravel driveway, and was lucky to get the car off without a major incident. While ramps may be strong, the ground beneath them may give way, especially in the Spring when the ground is thawing out, and when many of us are trying to catch up on car work not done over the winter.

Harry

Old 03-30-2007, 06:05 PM

Hmmm I live in sunny, pave-everything Los Angeles. No gravel and no thawing to worry about. Do ramps still pose a danger on a slightly curved peak of a paved hill?

Old 03-30-2007, 06:12 PM

Hmmm I live in sunny, pave-everything Los Angeles. No gravel and no thawing to worry about. Do ramps still pose a danger on a slightly curved peak of a paved hill?
If you drive too far ahead on them

Harry

Quick Reply: $61 Oil Change - I can't win!

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands