Anyone have close or over 100k miles on a Prius?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2006, 06:22 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Anyone have close or over 100k miles on a Prius?

Originally Posted by bwilson4web
Hi Phil,

1) I've only had our 03 Prius for 3 1/2 months. At the same time, I ordered the maintenance manual and joined this and another Prius discussion group. The 818 drive back from Texas on a flat Interstate was used to measure MPH vs MPG and since then, I've been studying the car and learning about its systems and performance.

2) Originally I too was worried about the traction battery until I realized who was spreading the FUD about hybrid batteries, the anti-hybrid, hydrogen-fraud advocates. Considering the source, I knew this was another area where they were wrong and I started shopping for a used Prius. After buying our 03 Prius, we learned the traction battery is never fully discharged or over charged and this gives the battery an unusually long life. The 80,000 to 100,000 mile warrantee is not at risk.

You've got the basics and understand how to approach the problem. GOOD LUCK!

Bob Wilson
Good show!

Has anyone ever talked to a fireman about the hydrogen fueling stations? see what they say about safety.

I normally don't have the time to work on the prius my self , hats off to those who do..

I drove from central fl to texas a&m on 2 1/2 tanks of gas brother inlaw drove a dodge v-10 & 7 stops for gas (ouch)

My wife has taken the prius its hers now lol....

Statement 2. I agree with all of it.. however I did see a toyota over 100,000 have the battery replaced I heard it was $4500 , I wont keep mine pas 70,000 in that case.. I'll just keep getting new ones.

Old 01-27-2006, 12:37 AM
Engineering first
Question Re: Anyone have close or over 100k miles on a Prius?

Originally Posted by errlin
. . . a friend has on '02 with over 100k. He told me just today that he is going to have to replace the computer and the transmission and since he is out of warranty it will cost about $6000 unless Toyota is willing to do something. . . .

Errol
Errol,

What part of the country?

I've been doing some work on my 03 Prius transaxle and discovered oil contamination, probably dust, from a Texas vehicle. This is not unusual in the midwest and rural and dryer states. I'd like to talk or e-mail with your 'friend' to understand the technical details. If he is within driving distance of Huntsville AL, I'd be happy to drive over to find out more.

Thanks,
Bob Wilson

Old 01-27-2006, 12:58 AM
Engineering first

Originally Posted by PriusGuy04
Good show!

Has anyone ever talked to a fireman about the hydrogen fueling stations? see what they say about safety.
Hydrogen has one of the widest ranges of H(2) to O(2) ratios, 10% to 65%, to support combusion. NASA deals with large amounts of liquid H(2) and has a lot of technical data.

however I did see a toyota over 100,000 have the battery replaced I heard it was $4500 , I wont keep mine pas 70,000 in that case.. I'll just keep getting new ones.
What part of the country? The reason I ask is temperature variations on the battery have a significant effect. But it could also be a 'bad cell' or other failure modes.

Is the owner/operator available to discuss the details?

Thanks,
Bob Wilson

Old 01-27-2006, 01:01 AM
Engineering first

I don't know how available parts for a Prius are at the local wrecking yard; . . .
Think Ebay.

Bob Wilson

Old 01-27-2006, 08:37 AM

A google search for "auto dismantlers". LKQ is one national group; there are others.

DAS

Old 01-27-2006, 09:04 AM

the vehicle that had its battery replaced was here in central fl. it was an 02 with 100,000 mi. not sure what caused the replacement it was a county car ie county yellow plate.. I was shocked at the $4500 price that the driver stated

As for talking with a firefighter, I was dicussing what they felt like haveing a hydrogen fuleing station in thier nieghborhood like a normal gas station would be..?
The reply I got was if the product got to outside temps it would become explosive
much worse that a normal gas station.. He further stated that you would not want one with in 10 mi of a residential area.. I just thought that was an intresting conversation I would share..

Old 01-27-2006, 11:46 AM
Enthusiast

Bob,

He lives in Southern California, but his wife drives over a pretty wide area. They also have property in the desert and mountains, so some dust is present. I'll foward your response to him.

Errol

Old 01-27-2006, 11:56 AM
04 prius 350,000km

But maybe a person could do their bit for the environment by getting a non-hybrid that got 35 mpg but was less expensive to repair? I hope my friends problem is not typical 'cause I do enjoy driving my Prius and would hate to feel like I had to get rid of it before the axe fell.

exactly how I'm feeling right now... 01 prius or a toyota Yaris =P

Old 01-28-2006, 09:00 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

the vehicle that had its battery replaced was here in central fl. it was an 02 with 100,000 mi. not sure what caused the replacement it was a county car ie county yellow plate.. I was shocked at the $4500 price that the driver stated
The battery probably didn't get the positive terminal re-sealing service. If too much corrosion builds up (especially in humid environments) the cells will charge and discharge uneven and eventually cause the pack to malfunction. This would show up on a vehicle that was driven an awful lot before the recall was ordered, and from what I remember in situations like that Toyota picks up about half the tab.

Our Prius has been serviced exclusively by the Toyota dealership we bought it at. We got the shop manuals for it when it was new, for when it gets old, but for now it's still happy with Toyota service, although it's not a bargain. Just had it's first transmission fluid change, and it's first set of tires (other than the free set at 23k from a recall). Tires were getting pretty worn and starting to warp and bulge and crack, the LRR rubber seems to degrade a bit different.