Best way to sell an '06 Prius?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2006, 03:29 PM
Enthusiast
Default Best way to sell an '06 Prius?

Hi Folks,

I am in the process of moving from Massachusetts to Ohio (waiting for house to sell) and was considering selling my '06 Prius as it looks like my new job in Ohio will be a work from home thing (software development). What would be the best way to handle selling a car like the Prius? ads in the paper, dealership, etc???

My ideal (if the job comes through) is to sell the Prius and pick up a 5 to 6 year old car that I can pay less than $7K for and which will be good for the few trips to the grocery store, etc that I might do each week.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks, Brian

Old 05-20-2006, 04:05 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Best way to sell an '06 Prius?

Originally Posted by BrianMaher
Hi Folks,

I am in the process of moving from Massachusetts to Ohio (waiting for house to sell) and was considering selling my '06 Prius as it looks like my new job in Ohio will be a work from home thing (software development). What would be the best way to handle selling a car like the Prius? ads in the paper, dealership, etc???

My ideal (if the job comes through) is to sell the Prius and pick up a 5 to 6 year old car that I can pay less than $7K for and which will be good for the few trips to the grocery store, etc that I might do each week.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks, Brian
Brian,

How long do you have 06 Toyota Prius? If you sell it or trade, you may lose at least $5000. Is there any wrong with the Prius? If you sell it and buy another one, you will be waiting for a long time (up to 12 months).

Last edited by TMCHAN; 05-20-2006 at 04:29 PM.
Old 05-20-2006, 04:38 PM
MPG FANATIC WITH GUZZLERS
Default Check on the Tax credit.

Brian-make sure you check on the tax credit, I mean make sure you can get it even if you sell. Someone here should know the answer to that.
The buyer definitely won't be able to get the Fed tax credit.
Now would be a good time to sell, if you absolutely have to sell. A realistic price is probably $2000 under MSRP. I would bet MA is a better market for a Prius than Ohio.
Put some feelers out here.Maybe the CA bunch would like to vacation back east, and drive home to get their HOV sticker! Luck,Charlie

PS Don't believe the BS about used ones going for MSRP. Only a fool would give up the $3150 credit and pay full list for a used one.However $2000 under MSRP is probably realistic. Save them $2000 upfront-that is worth about $3150 12 months later to many people(especially if they bump into the minimum tax thing). If you have financed it, it might not make sense to sell. Check for early payment penalities etc. Be sure to check for the Tax credit(check Ohio also-might be a season to keep it)

Old 05-20-2006, 06:09 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Best way to sell an '06 Prius?

Just traded my prius in and got OVER MSRP for it. Depends on how bad a dealership wants to sell you a car. FYI I paid 25,000 and Someone from this board called to check on buying it and they wanted like 26 for it. i'm not financing the same amount and have a different car.