bumper repair or replace?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2004, 03:27 AM
Enthusiast

My front bumper was scraped by a parking pick-up, leaving long scratches and completely tearing off the license plate holder from the bumper. This caused the holes it was screwed into to become bigger and cannot reaattach the holder. Is this still repairable or would bumper need to be replaced. I know i should be asking an autoshop this, but it just happened, it's night, and shops/toyota are closed. no dents, just scratches are manageable but those holes....

http://img27.photobucket.com/albums/...4/P1010369.jpg
http://img27.photobucket.com/albums/...4/P1010378.jpg

Old 04-12-2004, 09:15 AM
Contributor ($)

I haven't had this happen to any vehicle of mine, but because it is not a structural item, I would think there may be some manner of repair available rather than outright replacement of the bumper. Plus the repair would be mostly concealed behin the license plate holder itself, correct? The real question is cost. Are you thinking about trying to repair it yourself?
I'd swing by any local body shop and see what suggestions they have as well as get a free estimate. They may have a low cost/low tech solution for you.

Let us know what they say.

Old 04-12-2004, 09:40 AM
Enthusiast

Thanks eric appreciate it. I really am hoping it doesnt come to replacing the bumper for something minor. If they could somehow repair the holes so i could reattach the license plate holder i'd be happy. The scratches, i'm not worried about. Not having dents made me relieved. And lucky the headlights weren't hit. I'll keep ya'll posted..

Old 04-12-2004, 03:25 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

little bit of fiberglass work and you'll be golden

Old 04-12-2004, 03:47 PM

Is there any room to reach behind the bumper?
If so, If it were mine I'd go to the hardware store and get a pair of stainless steel screws, washers and nuts.

If there isn't any room to reach behind the bumper I'd try a pair of toggle bolts and washers.

But then, some folks just aren't as thrify as me.

Old 04-12-2004, 04:06 PM

bumpers are pretty easy to take off.

Old 04-12-2004, 04:46 PM
Contributor ($)

Steve,
I was think of something similar myself, but I figured, get some tips from the body shop first. I figure since it is hidden by the license plate holder itself, you have a lot of "thrifty" options.

Old 04-12-2004, 05:13 PM

thats true, you could probably slip a metal/plastic plate behind through the crack, then attach it w/ epoxy.

Old 04-12-2004, 08:03 PM
Enthusiast

I went to toyota and they do have their own shop. The front bumper cover and the license plate bracket will be replaced.

front bumper cover + paint/finishing = $349+tax (bumper only is $204)
license plate bracket = $39+tax

All in all with labor came up to $572

If it were my fault, i'd got the thrifty way but since it was because of the driver being reckless/careless... :huh: The did say they'd pay for whatever it'd cost.

Thanks for all your input!

Old 04-24-2004, 08:36 PM
Enthusiast

Well, I had a similar problem. I was backing up making a 3pt turn /Uturn in a small parking lot in the rain today and backed into a small fire hydrant that I could not see behind me because the rear window(s) are so high in the back of the Prius.

(Yeah, I should have known it was there.) I was moving very slowly in reverse, but I punctured or tore the bumper a bit. There's no hole, the fiberglass is all there, its just torn in a U pattern where the hydrant was.

I am not sure what to do about this and will take the car to the dealer's body shop on Monday. Does anyone have any other ideas?

Eric