How does the Prius do on snow and ice in the winter?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2006, 06:11 PM
Eco Accelerometrist
Default Re: How does the Prius do on snow and ice in the winter?

I am pretty positive that many of the accidents we see during the winter season could be easily prevented by outfitting our vehicles with winter tires. Sometimes people are cought by surprise when encountering slick surfaces and when that happens regular rubber is typically the main determinant of the outcome.

Case in point, my wife was driving the Prius and even at low speed the vehicle kept the intended direction on an inclined icy road. Slightly ahead of her, a late model Infinity sedan had a hard time negotiating its way trough the same stretch of road.
Expensive wheels but inadequate rubber makes for a cheap experience, regardless of the quality of the vehicle's stability and traction control. The technology does helps but it only works well when the tires retain their adhesion to the road surface.

Cheers;

MSantos

Old 12-09-2006, 08:49 AM
Automania Enthusiast

We got a winter tire package from the Tirerack with wheels and Michelin X-Ice tires mounted on them and have had no troubles. This is the first time in quite some time that the wife has not had an all wheel drive vehicle and she never had a problem last winter, and knock on wood so far this year. In fact she said the X-Ice's add so much traction and grip she feels safer then with the OE tires on wet roads.

Old 12-09-2006, 01:28 PM
Eco Accelerometrist

I totally agree. I've been a fan of Michelin's X-Ice series... so much so that I have them installed on our Prius and the HCH-2 as well, and I too can say the cars feel solidly stable on the most slipery of conditions.

Good stuff indeed.

Cheers;

MSantos