Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Toyota Prius (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/toyota-prius-10/)
-   -   How far on gas light? (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/toyota-prius-10/how-far-gas-light-13196/)

SoarinS 04-18-2007 10:01 PM

How far on gas light?

Hello,
My new Prius already has 500 miles on it and I'm loving every minute of it! Quick fuel gauge question... when do you consider it time to fuel up? I knew my other cars fuel gauge very well (analog) and would get gas once the gas light came on, but the digital fuel gauge makes me nervous. My only time filling up so far I did with one 'bar' left and it came to 9.x gallons. Considering we have an 11.9 gallon tank I guess I had a good 100+ mile cushion. So my question is do you all drive until the gas light comes on? Thanks.

bwilson4web 04-19-2007 12:05 AM

Re: How far on gas light?

Now that I have a one gallon, spare tank in the trunk, I drive until the engine stops. But then I'm running a series of gasoline tests. The first time, I ran 130 miles at +55 MPG on the "flashing low gas" signal. The second time, just 75 miles at +55 MPG. But each time, I had my spare can.

My recommendation is switch to 'time based' refueling, say Fridays and Sundays. This will let you keep track of weekday versus weekend driving mileage.

Bob Wilson

Resist 04-19-2007 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by bwilson4web (Post 121646)
Now that I have a one gallon, spare tank in the trunk

Do you realize how dangerous that is? The fumes could ignite inside the car.

Karkus 04-19-2007 02:32 PM

I typically go 20-30 miles with a blinking dot before filling up and have gone as far as 50 miles (and other people have reported even more). But when I ran out of gas once, I was only after only ~30 miles (driving at 65). So it doesn't seem entirely consistent. By the way, when I ran out of gas, the battery got me a little over a mile to the next exit (but there was no gas station at that exit, but then we got free gas from a Kansas road side assistance vehicle).

I have a 2004 prius with the fuel gauge TSB done. It would be best if you could get someone with a newer Prius to answer that question also. (Bob 's and my Prius may or may not behave the same as your newer model).

centrider 04-20-2007 05:55 PM

Hmm. Don't think you'll see a light come on.
The last square on the digital gas gauge will blink. All those little squares will be gone, only that last little square. And it will blink.

Fill-up time.

centrider 04-20-2007 05:59 PM

Wow! A gallon of gas in your trunk? Rear ended and you and the hitter are toast!

I am Surprised at you!

singingtiger 04-20-2007 07:47 PM

Lots of different opinions regarding how far to drive on one tank. Each person decides best strategy.

My policy is to almost always fill up when two bars/pips remain.

Once I did drive until the last bar/pip started to flash so I would know that indicator worked.

centrider 04-20-2007 07:56 PM

You're right.

As I live and mostly drive in an urban area, I can go down to the flashing square. On the open hwy, I'm more conservative and will fill up around 2-3 squares.

bwilson4web 04-21-2007 10:00 AM

In the past three weeks, I drove the following on "flashing low fuel":
  • 130 miles
  • 75 miles
  • 80 miles
In all cases, the MFD displayed ~55 MPG. I'm driving a 2003, NHW11 Prius.

Bob Wilson

Resist 04-21-2007 01:34 PM

From my experience and what I have read on the forums, you will never get a standard distance you can drive on the flashing pip. This is due to the bladder and what the temperatures are outside. Besides, no fuel gauge ever made has been accurate, they are not linear. This means, if you went X number of miles with the first half of tank of fuel, it doesn't mean you will go the same number of miles on the last half. Fuel gauges are just estimates and when you are low you should fill up right away. That is the nature of using liquid fuel that moves about in a moving vehicle.

centrider 04-21-2007 02:02 PM

I take your point. Growing up in the Midwest, the rule of thumb drumed into me by my dad was to fill up at 1/2 tank (gas at .25/g).

Out here, in SoCal I'll take it into the last pip.

On the other hand it's good to, "know" one has maybe a 25-30 mile range on the flashing pip-of-death.

I do want to say, "I hope nobody around me is driving with a loaded gas can in their trunk/hatchback."

Resist 04-21-2007 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by centrider (Post 121928)
"I hope nobody around me is driving with a loaded gas can in their trunk/hatchback."

I believe it is even illegal to do so.

centrider 04-21-2007 04:26 PM

Somebody does have a 1 g spare tank. I took that to mean a gas can. Perhaps that is a misunderstanding, tho the writer has not challenged my assumption.

I suggest you go back to p2 (or the beginning of the thread) and you'll find it.

bwilson4web 04-21-2007 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by Resist (Post 121944)
I believe it is even illegal to do so.

The NHW11, 2003 Prius is not a hatchback:

http://hiwaay.net/%7Ebzwilson/prius/priups_30.jpg

Bob Wilson

centrider 04-21-2007 04:45 PM

Right. So that's not a jerry can.

Thanks.

bwilson4web 04-21-2007 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by centrider (Post 121947)
Right. So that's not a jerry can.

I bought it at WalMart for about $3. It has single spout with a locking cap. I just put a gallon in it, making sure not to over fill or spill on the outside. Worse comes to worse, gas stations have paper towels to wipe up any 'opps.' Then I seal it up, wipe it down and store it in the trunk with a strap to keep it from sliding around.

You know fuel can technology has been around for quite some time. Stored where it won't be in direct sunlight and there is no problem.

Bob Wilson

Piccolo 05-28-2007 02:49 PM

I just got a 2005 Prius about a month ago and have been testing how far I can go on the flashing square. For the last two times it has been about 120 and 100 miles. The display showed 56.1 and 55.5 mpg, respectively, and the actuals calculated to about 53.5 mpg. The total mileage for the two tanks was right around 600 miles each.

I found out exactly how far I could go today when I ran out of gas at 610 miles:). Thought I had maybe 50 miles left; my new rule is to assume no more than 50 miles on the flashing square.

bwilson4web 05-28-2007 03:12 PM

Welcome to the club!

Originally Posted by Piccolo (Post 126753)
I just got a 2005 Prius about a month ago and have been testing how far I can go on the flashing square. For the last two times it has been about 120 and 100 miles. The display showed 56.1 and 55.5 mpg, respectively, and the actuals calculated to about 53.5 mpg. The total mileage for the two tanks was right around 600 miles each.

I found out exactly how far I could go today when I ran out of gas at 610 miles. Thought I had maybe 50 miles left; my new rule is to assume no more than 50 miles on the flashing square.

With my 2003, it looks to be 70 miles so 50 is a conservative number. My last, full tank came in at 615 miles so we're in the same ballpark.

BTW, have you looked over the Prius FAQ? It might offer some hints.

GOOD LUCK!

Bob Wilson

centrider 05-28-2007 03:16 PM

[QUOTE=bwilson4web;121954]I bought it at WalMart for about $3. It has single spout with a locking cap. I just put a gallon in it, making sure not to over fill or spill on the outside. Worse comes to worse, gas stations have paper towels to wipe up any 'opps.' Then I seal it up, wipe it down and store it in the trunk with a strap to keep it from sliding around.

You know fuel can technology has been around for quite some time. Stored where it won't be in direct sunlight and there is no problem.

Bob Wilson[/QUOTE

Like living on the edge, do you.

Made-in-China crap does not inspire confidence. Carrying around a g of gas does not bring to mind, "no problem."

You are responsible for what you drive into. Some yo-yo rear-ending you, on the other hand seems like a life altering experience.

Think Ford Pony's, or whatever their Ronson lighter of the '80's was named.

Good luck!

bwilson4web 05-28-2007 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by centrider (Post 126756)
. . .
Made-in-China crap does not inspire confidence. Carrying around a g of gas does not bring to mind, "no problem."

Actually it is made in Miami Oklahoma.

Bob Wilson

centrider 05-28-2007 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by bwilson4web (Post 126758)
Actually it is made in Miami Oklahoma.

Bob Wilson

Sorry. An unfortunate assumption.

Self-sealing, and guaranteed not to burst, break or spill when your car is struck from behind.

Is that can not in the crumple zone?

bwilson4web 05-28-2007 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by centrider (Post 126767)
Sorry. An unfortunate assumption.

Self-sealing, and guaranteed not to burst, break or spill when your car is struck from behind.

Is that can not in the crumple zone?

I bought it at WalMart but Autozone carries the same part. It is a pretty robust, thermo-plastic can and seems pretty tough. It certainly is a better product than the old metal cans and in the heat, it bulges out rather than vent gas fumes. But I still park in the shade, like I've always done.

I would be interested in a small gas can with a sealing bladder. I have no problem with getting better technology. Have you seen one?

Bob Wilson

centrider 05-28-2007 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by bwilson4web (Post 126768)
I bought it at WalMart but Autozone carries the same part. It is a pretty robust, thermo-plastic can and seems pretty tough. It certainly is a better product than the old metal cans and in the heat, it bulges out rather than vent gas fumes. But I still park in the shade, like I've always done.

I would be interested in a small gas can with a sealing bladder. I have no problem with getting better technology. Have you seen one?

Bob Wilson

Pardon the irony, but you might try Air Force surplus - or maybe just surplus.

So, now you have probably the only Prius with a, is it 12 g gas, uh, storage?

Don't know if you'd get away with it in Calif. A rear end collision might just take out you and the luckless person who hit you.

Good luck!

Piccolo 05-29-2007 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by bwilson4web (Post 126755)
Welcome to the club!

With my 2003, it looks to be 70 miles so 50 is a conservative number. My last, full tank came in at 615 miles so we're in the same ballpark.

BTW, have you looked over the Prius FAQ? It might offer some hints.

GOOD LUCK!

Bob Wilson

The Prius FAQ is a great resource. I am doing several of the items in it including pulse and glide, tire pressure, and some others.

The latest is that I just drained out some oil to get the oil level to 3/4 full, and then I added some friction reducer called SFR that I've had good luck with in the past.

My first 50 miles today would seem to indicate possibly a 1 to 2 mpg boost, but it's really too soon to tell.

I'm hoping to break 60 mpg on a consistent basis in the next few months, but it might be difficult as I drive 90 miles a day, and am probably unwilling to do most of that at, say, 55 mph, rather than 68 mph which is my usual. But I'm going to keep chipping away at it.

Randall

bwilson4web 05-29-2007 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by Piccolo (Post 126821)
The Prius FAQ is a great resource. I am doing several of the items in it including pulse and glide, tire pressure, and some others.

The latest is that I just drained out some oil to get the oil level to 3/4 full, and then I added some friction reducer called SFR that I've had good luck with in the past.

My first 50 miles today would seem to indicate possibly a 1 to 2 mpg boost, but it's really too soon to tell.

I'm hoping to break 60 mpg on a consistent basis in the next few months, but it might be difficult as I drive 90 miles a day, and am probably unwilling to do most of that at, say, 55 mph, rather than 68 mph which is my usual. But I'm going to keep chipping away at it.

Sounds like you've got a good handle on the techniques. However, you might try just 65 mph or a tad under. It looks like between 65-70, the MPG starts to take a hit and anything over 70 is pretty brutal on the NHW11 models. However, I may have some relief in the not too distant future.

Happy driving!

Bob Wilson

centrider 05-29-2007 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by bwilson4web (Post 126854)
Sounds like you've got a good handle on the techniques. However, you might try just 65 mph or a tad under. It looks like between 65-70, the MPG starts to take a hit and anything over 70 is pretty brutal on the NHW11 models. However, I may have some relief in the not too distant future.

Happy driving!

Bob Wilson

s
Bob's right. I drive frwys and hywys regularly at 64 mph. My best was a calculated 59.1 mpg.

Interesting here. When I shut it down that night, I was down to the last dot on the gas guage. The next morning it was back up to 3. Hmm. I went ahead and filled up. It took 9.33 g.

Silver Bullet 05-31-2007 02:14 PM

hmmm...and why would you wait so long to fill up? what is the advantge to be gained there? i try to fill up when ever i am around half full...............did run out once and drove almost to exit on battery......maybe not related but have not been able to get over 40-44 mpg tank since, no matter how careful driving.....

centrider 05-31-2007 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Bullet (Post 127225)
hmmm...and why would you wait so long to fill up? what is the advantge to be gained there? i try to fill up when ever i am around half full...............did run out once and drove almost to exit on battery......maybe not related but have not been able to get over 40-44 mpg tank since, no matter how careful driving.....

In, "olden" days driving in Chicago, the caution (especially in the winter) was to refill at 1/2 a tank.

Depending, when I'm down to 1-2 dots showing, I'm looking for a fillup.

That's about 9 g.

Silver Bullet 05-31-2007 02:48 PM

In, "olden" days driving in Chicago, the caution (especially in the winter) was to refill at 1/2 a tank.

was that in part to help prevent condensation in tank? no longer apply?

centrider 05-31-2007 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Bullet (Post 127233)

was that in part to help prevent condensation in tank? no longer apply?

Yeps. Besides, you never knew when conditions might change towards the nasty.

In SoCal, we don'tneed such precautions. 1-2 dot is close enough for me.

Tochatihu 06-01-2007 09:18 AM

Why do I enter these discussions??

Prius' sealed fuel system is 'supposed' to prevent water condensation issues. We have no evidence to suppose that it does not.

If you refuel 'near the bottom', you will, over time, make less visits to gas stations, and expose yourself to less (possibly carcinogenic because of benzene) fuel vapors.

If you run it nearly dry, you might expose the (in-tank) fuel pump to overheating, and perhaps shorten its life. If you really run out of fuel, proceeding can put the HV battery in an undesireable condition of discharge.

If you have any reason to suspect that a good load of fuel might soon be required to swift you out of trouble (winter storms, Atlantic hurricanes, California earthquakes, etc.), then keep yourself in the upper half of the fuel gauge.

In my 2001 Prius, I have passed the low-fuel ding by 50 miles, without fuel exhaustion. Yours may behave differently. Hard to say.

The efficiency and versatility of Prius gives us many choices on how to 'manage' the thing. Make rational choices, says I. Discuss them endlessly here, if that is your way.

DAS

centrider 06-01-2007 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by Tochatihu (Post 127375)
Why do I enter these discussions??

Prius' sealed fuel system is 'supposed' to prevent water condensation issues. We have no evidence to suppose that it does not.

If you refuel 'near the bottom', you will, over time, make less visits to gas stations, and expose yourself to less (possibly carcinogenic because of benzene) fuel vapors.

If you run it nearly dry, you might expose the (in-tank) fuel pump to overheating, and perhaps shorten its life. If you really run out of fuel, proceeding can put the HV battery in an undesireable condition of discharge.

If you have any reason to suspect that a good load of fuel might soon be required to swift you out of trouble (winter storms, Atlantic hurricanes, California earthquakes, etc.), then keep yourself in the upper half of the fuel gauge.

In my 2001 Prius, I have passed the low-fuel ding by 50 miles, without fuel exhaustion. Yours may behave differently. Hard to say.

The efficiency and versatility of Prius gives us many choices on how to 'manage' the thing. Make rational choices, says I. Discuss them endlessly here, if that is your way.

DAS

Because our conversations are scintilatng. . .

Yep somewhere between #2 tick and the flashing "Your last chance"

kdk84 06-01-2007 12:24 PM

I have taken it down to a flashing pip before and then filled up shortly thereafter... the car only took 9.5 gallons. After reading other posts here and on PriusChat.com I would say that you could ride an extra 20 miles on a flashing pip without a doubt. After that I think I might start getting nervous.

BeechSportBill 06-01-2007 02:22 PM

HI all -

My last digit started to flash as I was pulling into refuel and it took 10.4 gal. BTW, the screen beeped, and displayed something like - ADD FUEL!

BeechSportBill 06-01-2007 02:22 PM

Hey - What happens when you run out, anyway? Can you drive to the station on battery?

FBCinvestor 06-01-2007 03:43 PM

I have a 2002 Prius. The answer of how far on gas light is that it depends. One time I had it blinking no fuel and could only put 7 gallons in. Must have been extra pressure in the tank or something.

I did go bingo fuel on one trip. The fuel light started blinking and I knew I was only 17 miles from my destination. I have about a gallon and a half and get in the 40's right? So that should be plenty. I think it would have been, but the route has two large hills (you Easterners would probably call them mountains) and that burns fuel faster than flat ground. About two miles from my destination, right at the crest of the last hill, the gas engine conked, the panel went all "master alarm" and major beeping, and I basically coasted to a stop. It was very embarrassing to have to call family for gas in my fancy fuel-efficient car.

In general, if going highway speeds, I fill up at 1/4 tank. If puttering around town, I will let it blink and fuel up on my way home for the evening.

centrider 06-01-2007 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by kdk84 (Post 127419)
I have taken it down to a flashing pip before and then filled up shortly thereafter... the car only took 9.5 gallons. After reading other posts here and on PriusChat.com I would say that you could ride an extra 20 miles on a flashing pip without a doubt. After that I think I might start getting nervous.

I think it depends on your anxiety level. When I fill up on the second pip, it's usually around 9.3 g or so. In the city I might push it.

On the hiways, I'm not taking any chances.

Piccolo 06-03-2007 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by BeechSportBill (Post 127438)
Hey - What happens when you run out, anyway? Can you drive to the station on battery?

I ran out the other day a mile from home. The warning lights lit up like a Christmas tree - you'd have thought the engine blew up or something. There was at least five warning lights on, most of which seemed to have nothing to do with fuel.

Because there was no adverse sounds or smells, and because I suspected what the problem was, I drove the remaining mile or so on battery.

The battery got down to 20% or 30% charge, but was still in the blue area.

I put in a gallon of gas I had had home, and it started up with no problem. For some reason I had to start it up a time or two before all the lights went off.

Since then, everything has been fine. And I am more cautious about running near empty - my new rule is to fill up within 50 miles of encountering the blinking last blip.

bobfrapples 06-05-2007 08:34 AM

I let it run down to the blinking pip almost every time. Most of the time I've driven 25+ miles while blinking. I've never run out of gas yet. But I guess maybe someday I will. Play with fire long enough and eventually you'll get burned, right?

fiver 06-12-2007 09:42 AM

Best case for me: 50+ miles on blinking square, and it didn't run out of gas.

Worst case: yesterday, 30 miles, ran out. (544 mile tank - personal record). Drove to within 50 feet of the gas station on battery, then ran out of electric charge! After a minute of cursing (my own stupidity), I restarted, and the gasoline engine found a little more gas in there, so it fired up, and got me into the station. I filled up with 11.4 gallons.

Hope I didn't hurt anything. When the battery got to a single bar, it no longer let me shift to drive (not enough charge to move the car, I guess). Interesting, but I hope to never see that one again.