MPG vs Speed - Hybrid driving strategy

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2007, 09:44 AM
HypoFueler
Default Re: MPG vs Speed - Hybrid driving strategy

You might find that the issue with your overall FE is not just from the "high" freeway speeds. Check your FE during your neighborhood commute and it may be lower than you want as well - perhaps you are getting stuck at too many lights or as Bob stated - crossing back and forth over 42mph....

Old 07-16-2007, 08:44 PM
Hybrid Newbie

This past 2 weeks, I just drove as those pre-Prius days.
It seems I can still get a decent MPG around 44-45MPG. It definitely is not most desirable, but it's acceptable.
However, now I have a new struggle, should I pick a longer smoother route over a direct shorter route to achieve better MPG ? I did a quick cal, if I focus on MPG performance and take the longer route, I get better MPG but I drive much "longer". If I pick the direct shorter route, I get poor MPG but drive time is 40% less. At the end of the trip, I am either consuming a very much equal amount of gas, sometimes the better MPG route consumes slightly more gas and takes much longer time.

Have anyone thought about this?? Take longer route for better MPG, might not always a good idea ??

Old 07-16-2007, 10:25 PM
Engineering first
Wink Re: MPG vs Speed - Hybrid driving strategy

Hi,
Originally Posted by minerval
. . .
However, now I have a new struggle, should I pick a longer smoother route over a direct shorter route to achieve better MPG ? I did a quick cal, if I focus on MPG performance and take the longer route, I get better MPG but I drive much "longer". If I pick the direct shorter route, I get poor MPG but drive time is 40% less. At the end of the trip, I am either consuming a very much equal amount of gas, sometimes the better MPG route consumes slightly more gas and takes much longer time.

Have anyone thought about this?? Take longer route for better MPG, might not always a good idea ??
Welcome to my world:

I started with a Google map that shows my daily commuting start, lower right, and stop location, upper left, and the streets map. I then tested every likely route and eventually settled on this approach for the morning commute. The evening commute is not shown and takes a different route. The key features are:
  • 1-2 mile, 20-25 mph warm-up segment - usually through a neighborhood, this allows liberal use of "N" glide to avoid higher fuel burn rates during warm-up.
  • 8 mile, 30-38 mph access road - this allows the car to enter hybrid mode where it cycles between EV and gas power.
  • 1 mile, 55 mph segment - from one down-grade on ramp to the next up-grade off ramp. I just stay in the right hand lane and use cruise control.
  • 1-2 mile, 25-35 mph cool-down segment - using four-lane, divided streets, I cruise in to maximize EV mode before parking in the shade during the summer and sunlight area on cold winter days.
On the route home, I'm mostly going downhill for the first 3-4 miles and avoid the 55 mph segment. I usually see 51-55 MPG in the morning commute and 60-70 MPG in the evening.

My recommendation is to start with a Google map and look at the potential routes. Then test the different routes.

Bob Wilson

Old 07-22-2007, 08:31 PM
Hybrid Newbie

Woody just completed its 5th tank, the 3rd tank of Shell gas and we finally across the average 46MPG this time. It especially means a lot for my own sake because I refused to entertain my husband's "drive-in-slow-speed" strategy by using my own plan.

With all the numbers and stats I have, it makes no sense for me to plot a longer route in hope to reach a better MPG because it actually consumes equal amount of gas and much more commute time. I just drive Woody the same way I drive Ginny for the past 9 years. I think, with minor adoption of P&G, Ginny actually reaches 24-26MPG in City these days.

It's a gain for me all around.

The conclusion is, you do need have a plan and a strategy if you plan to utilize and maximize the MPG of your vehicle regardless whether it's a Hybrid or traditional.

Old 07-23-2007, 04:09 AM
Engineering first

Excellent and rightly so. Everyone has a slightly different driving situation and within limits, there will be an optimum solution that balances: good, fast and cheap. The absolute numbers are less important than how the vehicle is meeting your requirements.

GOOD LUCK!
Bob Wilson

Old 07-24-2007, 04:06 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I have a slightly different take on this I guess, but not much. I drive in Texas also so maybe it will translate well for you. The first thing you are going to want to do is pump up your tires. I mean really pump them up. to at least to max sidewall pressure of 44 psi front and 42 psi rear. Then do all of the following for a tank and see what the result is.

Drive 60 mph or the speed limit, whichever is SLOWER. Don't worry, the Interstate speed limit is between 50 to 70 MPH in Texas (or 75 in West Texas). Going 70 is not a requirement and it is okay to go slower if you stay to the right except when passing. The drop off in mileage is 25% at 70 MPH. Yes it will take a little longer but in city driving it will have little or no effect on arrival time. You can test this assertion yourself though.

Use Cruise Control as often as possible. Even in town. The HSD computer does a GREAT job of managing battery pack charge/discharge rates and also makes sticking to the speed limit easier.

Anticipate traffic and lights. This means you will have to drive 1/4 to 1/2 mile ahead so you can let off the gas when the light turns red, and not mash the brakes at the last possible second to stop. Remember it takes less energy to accelerate from 5 mph than it does stopped and takes less energy to accelerate from 20 mph than 10 mph, etc.

On slight down hill sections of road with 40 mph or less speed limits, feather the gas peddle to get complete "dead band" on the MFD and coast.

For the last 2-3 mile leg of any trip pick a route with 40 mph or below limits, then use as much EV mode as possible. This will utilize the next trip warm-up period to best advantage to charge the battery pack too.

I have 56+ lifetime mpg and several tank mpgs in the 60s using the above. Its not posted yet but I just had a 61.8 mpg tank over 540 miles with 80% highway miles. Most of the highway miles were on I-20 on Sunday Dallas to Tyler and back (260 miles). The wind was light and variable so there were no head winds to increase drag.

Anyway, good luck with whatever you try and keep us posted.