new owner 2010 prius

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 01:36 AM
Hyper Hybrid Dude
Default Re: new owner 2010 prius

Purchased one this Saturday. Went to ONLY test drive...they had five on the floor...drove it...liked it...bought it. Dealer would not budge on the price but was able to get free accessories and much reduced cost on extended warranty and a service contract. You might have better luck than I did; they just arrived on the lot. Traded in 06 HCH (Honda Civic Hybrid). Went back to dealership on Monday, there was only two left.

Model IV, Ribbon blue w. solar roof package. All weather mats. Dash cover. Tinting the windows tomorrow.

I am new to the Prius and by no means an expert in autos. Wanted one when I purchased the HCH 3 years ago, but there was a 6 week wait at the time.

Initial impression: More sporty look over the previous model(s), I like the look. Improved smooth/quiet ride and handling, closer to the Camry. Steering column lacks enough adjustment for my arms/height (too far away, the HCH adjustment was very good). Back up camera is off center (need to get used to it, never had one before). 53MGP in about 150 miles thus far. The ribbon-blue exterior w. dark-gray leather interior is nice (is it just me, but I miss not being able to view the car hood while driving, the car could be pink and I wouldn't know it from inside). Dash layout and controls are easy to view and operate while driving (can only make changes to nav using voice commands while moving). The 3(4) modes of operation (EV/ECO/PWR) allow for maximizing mileage for travel conditions if desired and work well; the throttle response changes with the different modes and seems to work ok. Much more room than my HCH ever had; the 60/40 will come in handy. Yes, there is a lot of plastic, but what car doesn't? I found the dash/door texture very acceptable, at least in the dark gray/black. All these negatives are acceptable, but my biggest complaint would have to be the rims. Normally I can care less, but plastic! Come on, who came up with this idea? No upgrades either. The Prius V 17" rims look fine, but on the other models they are 15" plastic.

Much more to be said...I look forward to putting more miles on this baby and have not had any regrets in the purchase thus far. Go test drive one...and leaving your check book at home will not help the weak.

Old 06-16-2009, 09:04 PM
Hyper Hybrid Dude

Update:

Removed the plastic hub caps today - WOW! Actually looks good...No really!

Tinted windows and sun roof. Nice...Nice...

Warmer day today. Got into the car after work expecting to roll the windows down to remove the hot air. It was actually cooler inside the car than outside. Air was actually blowing through the vents. I kept the windows closed, turned on the AC cooling the car down in no time. With summer around the corner, having solar panels to cool the interior might be advantageous for those living in warmer climates after all.

Some of my old HCH habits are prevalent: No rolling when stopped to prevent engine from starting. Hard braking last inch when coming to a stop to prevent motor from re-starting. Where is the key? Someone took my key.

Using the PWR and EV modes more often. Easy to use, perhaps difficult to master. Placement is excellent, even the AC button is placed right.

This car is like a science project on wheels.

Old 06-17-2009, 12:05 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by westweb
This car is like a science project on wheels.
It'll be more a science project when people figure out the XGauge values for the 2010+ Prius and what the stages of operation are.

You can see the XGauges codes that are possible so far for the 2nd gen (04 to 09) at http://www.cleanmpg.com/forums/showthread.php?p=107386 and the stages in the 1st PDF at http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-p...provement.html.

Old 06-18-2009, 08:41 AM
Enthusiast

Just bought a 2010 Prius II for 22450 with mats and cargo net in rochester ny, will pick up in late June.

Old 07-18-2009, 06:42 PM
Enthusiast

Just upgraded my Prius 2008 to the new 2010.

Actually went in for 25000 service and I really liked the new Prius they had. The dealership suggested to look at the switch ... boy they gave me a deal that my monthly payment few dollar less (first Prius I got with no money down). So I agreed and drove out with the new car with 7 (seven) miles on the odometer. My only regret is that this one is a lower package that I had ... like no 6 CD no backup camera (no screen either) most I am missing the phone book thing which worked with my phone. It has bluetooth but I can not upload phone numbers and use the car phone book. Also missing the iHome link on the mirror... I guess back to carry remote for the garage. But disk brakes on all wheel better seat (at least feel better on the first day). Clearly more room at the back seats and the luggage.

But my first impressions: the car fell more spacious front and back... driver seat more adjustable... breaks feel better and the car definitely has more power... and first 30 miles easily beat my mpg expectation. EV mode and ECO mode seems very interesting ...

Anyone has info on suggested tire pressure, I used to run few psi higher then officially recommended like 42 frot 38 back. It definetly made a difference (like 2-3 mpg for sure). But the new tire has max 40 written on them any other little tricks ???

Happy new owner

Old 07-24-2009, 05:53 AM
Insipid Enthusiast

Just got one last week. Anyone have opertating data yet?
Is the new ev speed up to 45mph?
While driving at 65 mph and you release the accelerator pedal the "hybrid" display shows that the ice cuts off production, does that mean the ice stops or just the fuel is stopped?
Highway driving appears to produce efficiency equal to city driving. That is not standard in a hybrid. Is anyone else experiencing this? Currently 57.3mpg with 50/50 highway/city distance. Trip B never reset showing 54.5 mpg
I am only 5'9 medium build and fit perfectly in cabin, anyone find it unconfortable? I find the road noise is excessive.
Tech data would be appreciated.
thanks

Old 07-24-2009, 06:34 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by szgabor
Just upgraded my Prius 2008 to the new 2010.

Anyone has info on suggested tire pressure, I used to run few psi higher then officially recommended like 42 frot 38 back. It definetly made a difference (like 2-3 mpg for sure). But the new tire has max 40 written on them any other little tricks ???

Happy new owner
OK I mis-read the tire info... 40psi is something else max beading pressure the max cold pressure is 45 I think so I am back using the 42/38 handling is OK little bit feels more bumpy... but if someone has more "scientific" data/info would like to hear it.

after less than a week my mpg is 51.1 overall mostly city driving like 70/30 this is about 5 mpg higher then my old overall was .... sweet (and just getting used to the new thingy)

Gabor

Old 08-02-2009, 11:54 AM
Enthusiast

I bought a new 2010 pruis under the cash for clunker deal & paid list price for it, but got
$4500 plus the salvage price for my trade in also did not have pay sales tax on that part of deal. So far have not driven that many miles but am getting about 51 mph with it. I took the cheap wheel cover off & found a nice alum wheel under it am buying a 2009 center cap to to finish the trim off for the wheel.

Old 02-06-2010, 04:38 PM
Enthusiast

I've had my Prius since the week after Christmas. So far my typical MPG is 46 with most driving in ECO mode. I do go thru 2 low elevation passes in my 50 Mile comute though. What are you guys doing to get the better MPG?

Old 02-27-2010, 08:03 PM
Enthusiast

I just can't justify the new note! I have an '02 Frontier that gets about 14 mpg, I'm spending about $40 every 10 days in gas on it.. I test drove a Prius 3 today and loved it.. but I just can't get past the $400.00 per month note.. despite the gas savings..

The Frontier runs fine.... why do I want the Prius??

Also... any of you guys out there getting any flack about the "feminine" stigma attached to the prius? Your friends questioning your manhood since you own one?

Last edited by coach81; 02-28-2010 at 11:22 AM.

Quick Reply: new owner 2010 prius

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands