Not green!

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2004, 09:28 AM
Bea
Enthusiast

I just bought a new Prius last week, and after waiting six months for my first new car, I'm loving the drive, the mileage, and all the cool options.

My problem: "Tideland Pearl" was clearly advertised as a green (color) car! The sleezey salesman didn't even write "Tideland" on the order form--he wrote "Green" in the box for color. I would sometimes get on the Toyota website and just gaze at the beautiful pastel green that I hoped someday would be mine. Choosing the color was a big deal to me, as I have never bought a new car before (always used) anf FINALLY, at the age of 41, I was getting a new car and I got to pick the model, options and color so I could get exactly what I wanted! What I wanted, among other things, was a car that was NOT asphalt colored. (My sister, an insurance rep., gave me advice on what color cars are least likely to get in accidents or get tickets.) To my chagrin, I received as asphalt-colored car last week! I told the salesa-hole, "That ain't green," to which he replied, "True, but it's what you ordered." I responded, "Well, put me back on the waiting list and get me my second color choice as soon as it comes in," and he said, "If you go back on the list, you wait an additional six months." (!)

So there I was, feeling like a hostage negotiating for my freedom from high gas prices. I caved to the pressure and purchased a car whose color is more likely to result in an accident than any other.

Anyone else feel similarly duped by Toyota? I love the car when I'm inside it, driving. My husband needed it today, and driving my old Honda Civic to work felt like taking a horse and buggy.

Old 10-07-2004, 02:54 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

First:
Congradulations on your new car and am glad that you are enjoying it!
So many people are still waiting.
I know what you mean about hoarse and buggy, After owning an HCH for 10 months now I still sometimes find myself wondering why do all the cars still idle at stop lights.

Second:
Too bad you were treated so poorly.
I am wondering if Toyota even cares at all about repeat customers.

Look at the bright side:
You're driving an awesome and unique car!

Old 10-07-2004, 03:08 PM
Site Founder

This issue has been addressed before, and I don't believe it's actually Toyota Corporate's fault, but rather your dealer's. At the one near me, a Tideland on the lot was labeled as "gray."

There isn't a simple way to describe the color. It's gray/green, I suppose. And, since "Tideland Pearl" isn't a ubiquitous color, no one knows how to address it.

As far as getting into accidents, is your motive that you don't want to get into accidents, or you don't want to pay a higher premium? The reason why red/yellow/black cars get in accidents so much is likely due to the type of person who buys them... not a property of the color itself.

Old 10-14-2004, 07:20 PM

Hi, fellow tideland pearl owner :-)

I grew up on the Pacific ocean off CA, and have to say the color(s) on this car evoke strong and friendly memories.

The Pacific is not Kodak blue or green. It is khaki-green with hints of grey and metallic-blue. It is sublime, and subtle. It is also different from day to day, and hour to hour.

Your Prius is the same.

Old 10-14-2004, 07:25 PM

I have to add a warning:

Colors on a computer screen are more often wrong than right. Nothing to do with Toyota, just a fact of life for the forseeable future.

Old 10-15-2004, 04:58 PM
Bea
Enthusiast

I agree with your eloquent description of the color, Eric. But I think our Priuses look more like the ocean at nightfall, and the Toyota literature really doesn't depict "Tideland" as looking much like an ocean at all. Tideland was merely depicted as green (my favorite color), plain and simple. And it isn't really that. Regardless, I still love driving the car, and when I'm in it, I can't exactly see the color. I just hope nobody hits me because I blend in with the asphalt! :blink: