prius is great, stereo sucks

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2005, 09:03 AM
Enthusiast
Unhappy prius is great, stereo sucks

I really like my new 05 prius. But don't you think they could have sprung for a better looking and sounding stereo system? The stereo in my 98 golf sounds so much better. Anyone else think the stereo sucks?

Old 08-29-2005, 09:10 AM
Site Founder
Default Re: prius is great, stereo sucks

Which do you have? Some packages include the upgraded JBL system, which I have. I don't think it's amazing, but it's pretty good and definitely enough for what I use it for.

Old 08-29-2005, 11:09 AM
Enthusiast

I have the base model. I'm considering putting a new stereo into it, but I'm not sure if it's worth it.

Old 08-29-2005, 01:08 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

It may be, others have done it and found it to be... I helped my friend install a computer with a touch-screen and amplifiers, sounds really nice! Someone else posted results of a third party stereo install, he said it was pretty straight forward because the stock unit uses a standard Toyota audio harness.

Old 08-31-2005, 12:41 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

The head unit in most cars isn't the problem, unless you need wattage for the 4 subwoofers you plan on planting in the hatch.

But seriously, if you want to upgrade the radio, start with the speakers. Lots of folks have commented that new speakers are all they needed to get the sound quality they wanted. The head unit uses a standard Toyota harness, but the integration to the MFD and the redundant controls on the wheel is what makes the head unit special and different. I would only change the head unit if there was some feature it didn't have that I felt my life depended upon. And frankly, I can't think of one. Plus, changing the head unit means loosing functionality, such as the redundant controls and the MFD interface.

My only suggestion is to tread carefully and take small steps as part of your upgrade path.

Old 08-31-2005, 02:31 PM
Prius geek

subwoofer. then new components (driver and tweeter)in the front. WORLD of difference.

The sub-woofer addition in mine made the base (non-JBL) system VERY VERY tolerable, IMO.

I'm now putting the 6" subs from mine into our 2nd Prius (hers, a silver '05) and I'm building a custom 8" fiberglass box for the right rear cubby.

Tonight's the night for the actual install, been waiting for things to harden and dry!

Old 08-31-2005, 03:40 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Post up pictures if you can!

Old 09-04-2005, 06:47 AM
Enthusiast

Yes, I was very dissapointed. It was not very well thought out. And where's the MP3 readability?!? Such a technologically advanced car and they can't put today's standard audio technology in it?

I have learned in other threads that if you disconnect the center channel speaker above the MFD it makes a world of difference. It's a useless speaker anyway as it doesn't have the high range of the door tweeters, and it ruins the spatialization. Probably the only thing you can do for free. :-)

Last edited by Ryomatic; 09-05-2005 at 07:59 AM.
Old 09-05-2005, 01:26 AM
Enthusiast

Why would you want to upgrade the audio system? Turn it off and enjoy the absolute quiet that only Prius offers (i do!) ;-)

Old 09-05-2005, 09:21 AM
Enthusiast

Does anyone know if adding a subwoofer will lower MPG because of the extra battery power required to support the subwoofer?

Quick Reply: prius is great, stereo sucks

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands