Prius GT - 0-60 in 8.7 seconds

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2004, 06:56 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

This is November news, so it may be old news around here, but cool nonetheless:

http://www.toyota.com/inyourworld/20...ber/prius.html

"It was just a question of time before Toyota's efficiency-focused engineers chose to squeeze more power from the Prius hybrid. The Prius GT debuted at Goodwood Festival of Speed in England. While using the same engine, electric motor, generator and battery as the standard Prius, the GT boasts a 37-horsepower gain - enough to push 0-60-mph acceleration times down to 8.7 seconds."

Old 12-06-2004, 09:41 AM

Hi Lars-ss:

___This has been posted more then once already but the item I wonder about is if the GT has similar FE and emissions as that of the regular Prius, why didn’t they GT all Prius’ to begin with? They would not lose the weight of course but the much more powerful ICE would make them much livelier. Maybe 0 - 60 in 9.0 - 9.5 seconds. Now you are smack dab into the middle of the performance envelope of many other comparable automobiles including the Corolla, Civic, Focus, Accord, and Camry all w/ I4’s and Auto’s.

Toyota Prius GT concept …
When the Prius GT is driven at normal speeds fuel economy and emissions are virtually unchanged, says the company.
___The Echo’s ICE is not a PZEV but a LEV so unless Toyota replaced the PZEV HW (the Echo and Prius use the same block), I have to wonder about “similar emissions”?

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___Waynegerdes@earthlink.net

Old 12-12-2004, 12:08 PM

As for safety, the Prius is pretty good apparently:

For all these reasons, the Japanese hybrids have found growing numbers of American fans. In El Cerrito, free-lance video producer Peter Decrescenzo is driving his second Prius. . ``My first Prius was destroyed in a crash,' he says. ``A Porsche came across the median and hit us head-on. The airbags went off and we found out firsthand the Prius is a very safe vehicle. ``The new one has about 45,000 miles on it; I've driven it coast to coast, from here to Maine and up and down the Sierra. My gas mileage is about 50 on the highway, more like 45 in town,'' Decrescenzo says.
Here's the whole article:
http://www.oaklandtribune.com/Stories/0,14...2593418,00.html