Prius MVA (Price Gouging) **UPDATE**

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2004, 11:08 AM
Enthusiast

Tau Zero kind of summed up the conclusions my wife and I reached in deciding on a Prius. Not only is it a good choice from an environmental standpoint, it represents an investment in new technology and hopefully a new mindset about driving. For me, those are things worth investing in.

Old 06-15-2004, 03:30 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Well put, zero
You are all so lucky >_< why must I have a adamant father that procrastinated (or something) in ordering the Prius?!?!?!?!? for 8 months?!?!?!?!

he also tried to persuade me into buying a TDI but I absolutely refused since that would be as dirty as my current car... and thats pointless then.

Old 07-13-2004, 05:20 PM
Enthusiast

Got on the waiting list here in KY this afternoon. Dealer said it would be about 6-9 months for the option #9 I am looking for, but that my $500 deposit is fully refundable if I should decide not to get the car (got the refundable promise in a written contract). He also mentioned that the Hybrid Highlander should be out by end of this year and that I could get on both lists and decide which one I wanted at a later time. Has anyone heard anything about the Highlander?

Old 07-13-2004, 07:18 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Hi JonB:

___Welcome to Greenhybrid!

___There is a pretty good thread on the Highlander Hybrid over Edmunds Townhall forums if you care to read about it in close detail. A lot of good links anyway. When it is finally released, I am sure you will see plenty of posts about it here indeed!

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___Waynegerdes@earthlink.net

Old 07-23-2004, 10:24 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Wayne
If it is okay, could you paste the link for that Edmunds forum?

I can't find it.

A link to clik on or to copy and paste would be greatly appreciated.

Old 07-30-2004, 07:53 PM
Super Moderator & Contributor ($)

I'm a little confused. Do we live in a free market/capitalist country or a communist one? Normally in a free economy price always goes up with demand and down with supply. This is basic first semester economics.

Intel always charges a fortune for its newest fastest processors that are in short supply and no one complains. There is nothing that makes a Extreme Edition P4 worth what they are charging. Pretty much all companies do exactly the same thing. The Corvette has jumped up in price even though it is a soon to be discontinued model and even though all the tooling is long paid for. Why? Because people will pay the extra money.

It seems like we have a problem the the extra cost only if the retailer instead of the manufacture is tacking on the extra. They sued the stores in Florida for "gouging" after the hurricanes. I'm sorry but if I'm down to my last piece of plywood with no way to get more, then that is one valuable piece of plywood. How much would diamonds be worth if everybody had a roomful? I don't have the slightest problem with charging what the market will bare. If I got the only plywood for 200 miles then I'm charging 100 bucks a sheet. If I got a car that I can sell for $5k over list I'd be a fool not to.

Of course I'm not gonna pay that much, but if some one else wants to I say let em! I'm gonna wait or buy a HCH.

Old 07-30-2004, 08:08 PM
Site Founder

True. But we also live where freedom of speech reigns, and people don't like high prices. They have every right to complain!