Professional rebuilders what does your battery reconditioning setup look like?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2021, 12:15 AM
Enthusiast
Question Professional rebuilders what does your battery reconditioning setup look like?

I've been wanting to start reconditioning prius batteries for some side income and want some feedback on my tools and procedures.

Tools:
I already have two hitec x4 pro's from my RC days , a 100 amp load tester from harbor freight , hybrid reporter/assistant and an old Integy Indi 16x7 that had been sitting in the garage for years.

Procedure:
First thing I do is analyze the health of the battery , the best way I have found to do this is to first do a visual inspection of the battery modules , then I measure their resting voltages . I insert the battery I'm reconditioning into my prius, force charge it then I drive in reverse until engine kicks on then I drive the car normally for 10 minutes I record the data using Hybrid Assistant. I take the battery off , put it on my table and discharge the modules at 20A using my Integy charger and record capacity , this thing is a beast It's actually faster for me to use the single channel Integy to discharge the modules than to use the 8 channels of my two Hitec x4's. Although I could use all three chargers simultaneously and discharge the pack even faster I don't because I'm sure there will be variations of capacity readings because they are different chargers and because of the discharge power 1.6A vs 20A .. I then use the x4's to cycle the modules If I'm sleeping otherwise I use them just to charge and I discharge them manually with the Indy , I work from home and my table is in my room so It's not as bad as it sounds. With my current setup it takes ~5 hours to charge the whole pack , and ~6 hours to discharge it. Once the modules reach 5800 mah on their discharge I stop cycling them and match the highest capacity ones with the lowest capacity ones in a block and then I arrange the blocks with the highest average capacity in the center of the pack with the lowest capacity ones being at the extremes , my maximum acceptable capacity differential is 3%. Once all of that is done I install the battery in my prius and do the same tests I did at the beginning and make sure the voltage under load is tight and uniform.

So far I have only spent $40 on the miniVCI cable and am open to spending on extra equipment that would help me make the process more efficient. I am unsure if I should go down the road of accumulating more x4's they are good chargers but they discharge too slow and I can't find anything close to the discharge power of the Integy in a quad port factor. Also if possible I would want to avoid the step in which I load test the battery in my prius or at least only having to do it at least as possible , especially considering that I have a gen 3 prius so I have to swap all the gen 2 modules into the gen 3 case in order to load test it then swap out the modules again so I can drive the car to run errands, and swap them again for the final test drive then back into their gen 2 case. Out of the 5 batteries I reconditioned 4 of them were from a gen 2 so that was fun... Is there any hardware/software that can log data like Hybrid Reporter but outside of the car? Would using the 100A load tester for let's say 30 seconds and recording resting V and the voltage on the 30 second mark be an appropriate load test? Thanks you guys for the help I appreciate it.

Last edited by ThrillingThrows; 05-25-2021 at 12:18 AM.
Old 05-25-2021, 06:55 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Professional rebuilders what does your battery reconditioning setup look like?

All you'll get from me:

Can discharge all 28 modules simultaneously at 20A
Can charge all 28 modules simultaneously at 10A (can do higher, but it's a strain on the AC circuit, and I have to utilize a second)
Can log all charge/discharge data
Can conduct the main operations that completely recondition a pack in less than 24 hours, but I take the full 24 hours for scheduling convenience. Entire process takes 3-4 weeks. Testing towards the end of the process disrupts other pack processing, so I have packs come out in surges. I replace 5-6 modules on average.

Pro-tips:

Of the three main performance parameters, capacity is the least important parameter for matching.
Beware all Gen3 (including 07+ Camry and all Lexus). Unless you're in a mild climate, Gen3 packs often have very high fallout due to module heat/cycle damage.

Last edited by S Keith; 05-25-2021 at 07:51 AM.
Old 05-25-2021, 06:45 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Professional rebuilders what does your battery reconditioning setup look like?

Interesting I never thought of charging the modules higher than 1C , believed it would not be safe. I'm guessing you use a device that can taper current at certain voltage thresholds , thanks I'll play around certain voltages and see what works best.

Yeah my process take about 2-3 days but I also keep the battery for an extra week because I like to test drive it and look at it's self-discharge levels. Is the extra 2-3 weeks rest periods you give them in order to get a better picture of the self-discharge?

The main parameter I use for matching is voltage under load then capacity and finally internal resistance , I take it I should start placing more importance on internal resistance.

I'm from southern CA doesn't get more mild than that , one thing I did notice about the camry and it might've been a one time thing , but the modules seem to get much more beat up than the prius ones , I'm wondering if toyota uses a different BMS because I have never seen a pack in such bad shape less than half of the modules were useable.

Old 05-25-2021, 08:25 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Camry is 3rd generation. You've just seen what most 2010+ Prius look like unless they've been babied in a very mild climate.