Sat Radio quit twice in thirty days

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2008, 03:52 PM
Enthusiast
Default Sat Radio quit twice in thirty days

Got Sirius Radio installed when I purchased my Prius. After 20-30 days the button for switching to the SAT channels no longer worked. It just stayed on AM. The satillite dish still shows up on the display. Took the car in and the dealer did something to fix it. It's been about 14 days and now I have the same problem again.

Anybody got a clue on what's causing the radio to fail?

Old 05-05-2008, 12:48 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Sat Radio quit twice in thirty days

When I got my '06 Prius, it was something like $600 for satellite to be added. So I just went out to Circut City and got a plug and play satellite radio for $150. It now works fine, after I got a noise filter from Crutchfield.com that finally got rid of the hiss and whine noise the plug and play produced when plugged into the AUX plug. So if worse comes to worse, that is an alternative way to go, and you get the benefit of the satellite radio in your home as well.

Paula

Old 05-05-2008, 08:32 PM
Enthusiast

The dealer apparently had a third party install the radio. They called the installer and the installer suggested disconnecting and reconnecting the battery. I told the dealer that this is not a satisfactory solution. They will be looking at it tomorrow. Two times in a month. Not acceptable....

I like the integration of the radio with the car radio. I don't have to worry about taking up another power port or mess with the suction cup and wires. Already have a removable Sirius radio that can be used. Sales guy said that the installer was wondering if it might be something to do with the antennae being installed on the dash and not on the roof.

I wish I knew how to open the dash to disconnect and reconnect the radio to see if it would help. I ordered one of the Prius manuals and am hoping the manual will document how to access the radio.

bit...

Old 05-06-2008, 11:16 AM
Enthusiast

It is always better to install the antenna on the roof, because the antenna has to "see" the satellite, which is up and to the side a bit with Sirius.. Any car audio dealer should be able to do it for about $25-35.

I do agree that an intergrated unit is nicer, I just couldn't afford it.

Paula

Old 05-06-2008, 11:20 PM
Enthusiast

Got radio fixed today. Installer indicated that both radio and toyota connector unit burned up. Radio replaced. Now working... The had both components connected/located next to each other and apparently the units overheated. Units are now separated. Hopefully fixed for good now...