Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2006, 12:09 AM
Engineering first
Question Tire suggestions?

NTB has a sale going on for:

Goodyear Ultra Tour LS (80k)
Cooper Sigma Regent (70k)
Goodyear Integrity (50k)

So the first thing I did was use Google only to find nothing useful on the Goodyear Ultra Tour. The more time I spent trying to find something about these tires, the less satisfied I've become. I just can't find good technical information for these tires.

I have an NHW11 03 Prius and will be putting 175/65/R14 tires on the car. Right now, I'm leaning towards the top two but I'm 'flying blind.' I'll go back to the store and see what I can pull off the sidewalls but I thought I'd ask if you'all have any suggestions.

Thanks,
Bob Wilson

Old 08-30-2006, 12:16 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Tire suggestions?

I'm not sure if I would recommend the Integrity. It is ok rubber, but it is economy rubber and that is why it was put on at the factory.

I'm very fond of Michelin tires as a whole. If you can find one that is the right size for the older Prius, that would be great. As a general rule Micehlin has some of the best technology and manufacturing practies in the tire industry. And after multiple sets of tires in very different vehicles, Michelin's have served well.

Old 08-30-2006, 01:57 AM
Engineering first
Wink Re: Tire suggestions?

Originally Posted by JeromeP
I'm not sure if I would recommend the Integrity. It is ok rubber, but it is economy rubber and that is why it was put on at the factory.

I'm very fond of Michelin tires as a whole. If you can find one that is the right size for the older Prius, that would be great. As a general rule Micehlin has some of the best technology and manufacturing practies in the tire industry. And after multiple sets of tires in very different vehicles, Michelin's have served well.
I heard enough about the Integrity to wave off. But I also checked the Toyota dealer inventory and found:

http://www.sumitomotire.com/theline/...asp?c=per&id=4

I'm getting four Wednesday morning and keeping the best of the old ones for a full-size spare . . . once I find a wheel. When I'm traveling, I expect to get there and get the flat fixed at the end of the trip versus hobbling down the road and waiting for a tire shop to open.

The price was right, $45/each but installation, alignment and taxes brought it up to $350. Still, I like that it is a Toyota part and have no problem tossing some bucks into the local Toyota service shop. I'll let you know how the part works out.

The old tires, General Master, were OK but the previous owners must have been running them at 32 psi or lower based upon the edge wear. Also, there was a slow leak that even after picking up a nail, the tire repair shop didn't diagnose. Regardless, they will soon be history.

I'll let you'all know how they work out.

Bob Wilson

ps. As per usual, the web page I needed showed up this morning, the Consumer Reports tire evaluation:

http://www.wsj.consumerreports.org/wsjreport140a.html

The Sumitomo HTR T4 came in low in the list, 17 of 18, but N. Alabama doesn't have a lot of "Ice braking" events. As for "Wet braking," our streets are so slippery in any damp, it would be hard to tell. Still, the Yokohama Avid TRZ might have been a better choice.

Bob Wilson

Last edited by bwilson4web; 08-30-2006 at 06:31 AM.
Old 08-30-2006, 08:32 AM
Active Enthusiast

Too late for you, but to future readers:

Definately skip the Integrity, it is the tire we are all taking OFF our Gen II Prii :-) Even if I didn't drive in snow and ice, I wouldn't choose it as a replacement tire. It will slip on sand and gravel and doesn't handle heavy rain well.

I'm not sure how those Sumitomos got a M&S rating. For snow you need a much bigger gap in the tread perpedicular or angled to the sidewall. There is a reason rear tractor tires don't look like summer car tires Of course, I don't understand how CR came up with the ComforTred as the best snow tire in the bunch (again) for the same reason, it has almost NO perpendicular siping.

I'm glad to see that my TripleTreds came out on top If I lived in Alabama, I suspect I'd choose a different tire though. Looks like those Yokohama Avid TRZ would be a good choice, especially for the price.

Old 03-25-2007, 06:59 PM
Enthusiast

Bob,
How are those Sumitomo tires working out? I have a 2001 Prius with 154,000 miles on it. I use Bridgestone Blizzak tires on steel rims (run at 44/42) in the winter. Great in the ice and snow but mileage drops 3 or 4 mpg. I got 42,000 miles out of my Dunlop SP10s (ran at 44/42) but need to replace them. The Dunlops were okay and I might do them again. Any suggestions?

Thanks Graham

Old 03-26-2007, 07:28 AM
Engineering first

Originally Posted by GrahamC
Bob,
How are those Sumitomo tires working out? I have a 2001 Prius with 154,000 miles on it. I use Bridgestone Blizzak tires on steel rims (run at 44/42) in the winter. Great in the ice and snow but mileage drops 3 or 4 mpg. I got 42,000 miles out of my Dunlop SP10s (ran at 44/42) but need to replace them. The Dunlops were okay and I might do them again. Any suggestions?
I've been pleased. I'm running them at 50 psi (max. is 51) and though the ride is a little rougher than other folks might like, I don't find to be a problem on the local streets and roads. There is no appreciable tire noise at highway speeds and my limited experience in rain suggests they hold the road as well as the tires I originally had.

I remain unhappy with the mounting by the local Toyota shop and their unwillingness to optimize the alignment. I am thinking about taking the car to Firestone and asking them to remount the tires and do their 'lifetime' alignment. I'll bring my shim kit and make it clear that I want everything as close to perfect as possible and don't mind paying a little extra to get it right.

Bob Wilson

Old 03-26-2007, 11:32 PM
Enthusiast
Thumbs up Re: Tire suggestions?

Goodyear TirpleTread have been great on my Passat.

Old 03-27-2007, 09:56 AM
Enthusiast

Bob,
Thanks, did you notice any change in mileage or is the 50 psi take care of that? I assume they are wearing okay?
Graham

Old 03-27-2007, 12:05 PM
Engineering first

Originally Posted by GrahamC
Thanks, did you notice any change in mileage or is the 50 psi take care of that? I assume they are wearing okay?
Graham
No noticeable change in mileage but this was in the fall. I also soon started my thermistor hack testing and the results were good enough to wipe out any tire change effects.

The wear seems to be just fine. I did some tire temperature profile testing and discovered the higher pressure seems to mitigate the negative toe of the driver-side rear tire and excess camber of the passenger side tire. My plan is to have Firestone remount the tires and get their life-time alignment with special attention to getting these two wheels 'right.'

My last set of tires showed evidence of edge wear that even running at 42/40 could not even out. I also had one tire with a slow leak that wasn't fixed when it had a repair done.

For now, I'm happy with my tires and since they were rated at 75,000 miles, I suspect the higher pressure will ensure I'll get them, all of them. My Prius should run about four years before I'll need another set.

http://www.sumitomotire.com/theline/

Bob Wilson

Old 03-27-2007, 06:43 PM
Enthusiast

Bob,
Thanks I think I will try them in the spring after the threat of snow has gone. Also trying to follow your thermister hack to see how that is progressing.
Thanks again, Graham