Touring - are they really gone?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2007, 01:25 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Touring - are they really gone?

Again, if you are mechanically inclined, of which I mean you work on your own vehicles, then you can do it. Suspension upgrades are more involved than changing your oil but if you have the right tools you can do it. Most likely performance shocks are all you would need to make a big difference. The wheel change is also very easy and the bigger rear spoiler is a snap.

Old 02-18-2007, 01:31 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Resist
Again, if you are mechanically inclined, of which I mean you work on your own vehicles, then you can do it. Suspension upgrades are more involved than changing your oil but if you have the right tools you can do it. Most likely performance shocks are all you would need to make a big difference. The wheel change is also very easy and the bigger rear spoiler is a snap.
This is all nonsense - there is no way it is cheaper to make these changes yourself. Even assuming the changes Toyota made to the Touring are as simple as Resist implies, which they may not be, it still doesn't add up.

Quality tires and wheels are going to set you back a minimum of $500 for the set, performance shocks $200, the HID lights $300+ (done right), and the fog lamps $100, not counting the spoiler and time to install all of the above, which are not simple tasks unless you have the right tools.

So Toyota charges $900 for all of the above, it is factory engineered and warrantied, and you don't have to do the work. You do the math.

Last edited by jrb_nw; 02-18-2007 at 01:44 PM.
Old 02-20-2007, 02:30 AM

Obviously you don't where to shop. Some people just don't know how to use the Internet.

Old 02-20-2007, 10:47 AM
Active Enthusiast

Obviously you don't where to shop. Some people just don't know how to use the Internet.
You are right. I don't know how to EASILY check inventory on a nationwide or regional basis.

There are some Touring models left on the west coast, but not that many. And if it is in the hands of a dealer who is not in the mood to deal, it will cost you 2 grand more than I paid for my non-Touring package 5 Prius. (Walnut Creek is the dealer who would not part with their precious Touring model - and wouldn't budge on price. Oh well. I'm happy in my non-Touring model, as is my wife, the primary driver)

And Toyota is not taking orders for any new Touring models for west coast customers.

And some people OBVIOUSLY don't know how to be civil when responding to a reasonable inquiry from a newbie. Talki about not knowing "how to use the internet" - thanks for the USELESS answer.

Old 02-20-2007, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by Alansanmateo
And some people OBVIOUSLY don't know how to be civil when responding to a reasonable inquiry from a newbie. Talki about not knowing "how to use the internet" - thanks for the USELESS answer.
Whatever!

Others didn't have to react hostile to me when I said it could easily be done cheaper too. I've worked on my vehicles for 30 years and don't think changing my own oil is a big deal. So creating my own "Touring" model is a snap. Auto manufacture and dealership option packages are always overpriced. You would think with the Internet the average consumer would realize this. But hey it's your money.

Last edited by Resist; 02-20-2007 at 12:15 PM.
Old 02-20-2007, 12:39 PM
Enthusiast

Resist- put your money where your loud mouth is. Get some prices using your "know how of the internet" and come back to us with some solid numbers of what it would cost to upgrade a regular prius to a touring prius. Saying we don't know how to use the internet, well teach us to use it if you are so smart.

Old 02-20-2007, 01:00 PM

You can do a Google search just as easily as I can. Really doesn't matter if you don't believe me, as I said before it's your money. Pay more if you like. I prefer to use the money I save on other things.

Last edited by Resist; 02-20-2007 at 01:02 PM.
Old 02-20-2007, 01:28 PM
Enthusiast

All we are looking for is a little proof to back up the things you say. Based on your past postings you appear to be very antagonistic, unlike the other 99.9% of the members on this forum. Just back up the things you say and we will start to believe you.

Old 02-20-2007, 09:39 PM

And it is for that reason people like you pay to much for your vehicles. But okay.....I'll turn my Prius into a touring model and report back on the cost.

Old 02-20-2007, 11:07 PM
Enthusiast
Thumbs up Re: Touring - are they really gone?

I bought my 2007 Touring Edition at Fairfield Toyota (CA) 3 weeks ago and there were two others on the lot. I have been looking at the Prius for over two years but found the models kind of crampy and I really wanted a leather seat model with all the bells and whistles.

After taking my Honda Element next door for an oil change, I decided to go over to the Toyota dealership and was immediately steered towards the Touring model. Took it for a spin and the leather seats were comfortable, the legroom is awesome and even people in the back will tell you it is very comfy with plenty of room. This model has many aesthetics that give it a feel of a luxary car...but only if you buy the LEATHER OPTION to get the full effect.

3 hours later, I had made the deal and took it in today for a checkup after driving it 700 miles. Last week's mpg's (Feb 2007) were 44.3 mpg and this week is is 43.2.

I have heard the the Touring Edition is hard to find however that did not seem the case at this dealership. I do not know if Toyota has stopped making these models but if you call TOYOTA CENTRAL (google check) they will probably be able to get you the answer.

Am I sorry I bought it. NO WAY! Other Prius owners do notice too and I refer to it as a scaled down Lexus!

As an added bonus boys and girls, you can still get into the DIAGNOSTIC MENU and today while getting it serviced, the mechanic admitted to me he forgot how to do it. So, I showed him. I made it clear to him that I only OBSERVE the data not erase it or do any cut and paste options. If interested, email me at napamediacenter@yahoo.com. I am of the beleif that the more I can converse technically with my service guy and am able to make his life easier, than it's all good. I am a Systems Engineer anyway so finding this menu was easy for me.

These are awesome cars. I plan to keep mine for at least ten years.

Also, I highly recommend watching the movie..WHO KILLED THE ELECTRIC CAR. You will hate GM after watching it and making the decision to go with a PRIUS will be a hands down no brainer.

Hope this helped.

-Ken Graham
Napa, CA

Quick Reply: Touring - are they really gone?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands