Touring - are they really gone?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2007, 05:53 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Touring - are they really gone?

Can anyone tell me if there are still Touring models being produced? I've heard Toyota has stopped making them, and I'm having trouble finding the color I want from any local dealers.

For those of you who have the Touring edition, do you wish you had bought the non-Touring model??

Thanks for the info!!

Old 02-10-2007, 02:42 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Touring - are they really gone?

The touring model is an overpriced option that is not worth the expense. So if it is gone I for one and glad. As you can easily make any Prius into a touring version for much less money than Toyota wanted.

Old 02-11-2007, 09:12 PM
Active Enthusiast

How exactly would you do that? The Touring has larger wheels and tires, HID headlamps, fog lamps, and a suspension that is tuned for a more sporty response - I assume through different spring/shock/anti-rool bar settings. The components are designed to complement each other. I am interested in how you propose to do this for less than the $900 uplift over the standard model that Toyota charges.

Old 02-12-2007, 02:00 AM

Originally Posted by jrb_nw
How exactly would you do that?
Are you serious? Sounds like you know nothing about cars or mods to them.

Old 02-12-2007, 06:55 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Resist
Are you serious? Sounds like you know nothing about cars or mods to them.
Worked on 'em all my life - hence my question. Maybe you do not have an explanation of how you would accomplish all those modifications as well as the factory, for $900.

Old 02-12-2007, 02:20 PM
Active Enthusiast

I bought a non-Touring, loaded (except leather) this weekend

If I could have found the color combo I wanted, I would have paid a slight premium to get the color I wanted. I eventually found one, but it would have cost me $2k more to get my color. I did not believe the "upgrade" was worth it, and I simply didn't want a Blue, White, Green or Tan car (which I could have gotten for the same price as the non-Touring).

My Prius has everything the Touring has, except larger wheels/tires; larger rear spoiler; whatever suspension components are in the touring

I don't know how easy it would be to change my Prius into a "near"-Touring model. I'd have to buy new larger wheels/tires ($400?) and not sure what I'd have to do to the suspension. I can't imagine the little frame stiffeners are going to accomplish everything that Toyotoa does in the factory, but I'm not saying I wouldn't buy them.

I'm happy with what I have, but would be interested in making the cornering a bit stiffer. Will probably just stick with the small wheels/tires.

Last edited by Alansanmateo; 02-12-2007 at 02:23 PM.
Old 02-13-2007, 01:12 AM

Originally Posted by jrb_nw
Worked on 'em all my life - hence my question.
Well I'm surprised you believe it can't be done with after market parts for much less.

Old 02-14-2007, 04:08 AM

There was mention of a "stabilizer bar" in the Touring Edition specs - would that be trivial to tie into a normal Prius? I don't know anything about modding cars but that one sure sounds like serious work.

Old 02-14-2007, 04:24 AM

Actually it is really easy.

Over the years I have found that any performance option auto manufactures come up with can be done by any home garage mechanic. And aftermarket parts are usually better and less expensive.

Old 02-14-2007, 05:13 AM

What's involved? I'm curious to find out what your view of "easy" is as these things are always relative.

Quick Reply: Touring - are they really gone?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands