Toyota Forced to Suspend Prius Fleet Sales in US

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2005, 07:55 AM
Owner of '06 HCH #7264
Default Toyota Forced to Suspend Prius Fleet Sales in US

Toyota Forced to Suspend Prius Fleet Sales in US

Toyota Motor Sales has announced that the sale of the 2006 Prius hybrid to rental and government fleets has been suspended in the United States, as the company struggles to meet the demands of the US consumer.

Existing fleet order agreements have also been cancelled, due to the company's low inventories and an expected boost in consumer demand. The announcement warned fleet customers that delivery could take at least six months.

Toyota has promised that fleet sales will return, once the company has production of the Pruis hybrid at a capacity strong enough to achieve success in both sales areas.

Source: www.canadiandriver.com

Old 11-03-2005, 03:31 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Toyota Forced to Suspend Prius Fleet Sales in US

They can't sell enough, so they're going to stop selling them, at all? Doesn't make much sense to me.

The 06 models are still pre-order, right? If this is true, they're only halting the pre-orders.

Old 11-03-2005, 04:00 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

No no... they're stopping FLEET sales. Consumer sales are continuing. Which, is a good thing. Especially for us, as consumers. If the sales floor inventories are low, the prices get driven up. Like, when you hear certain cars aren't selling for less than MSRP.

Old 11-09-2005, 01:40 PM
Enthusiast

I think we will see a huge surge in demand for the Prius once it becomes a rental car. Many people have never seen or driven in one and are sceptical about the size and performance. From my personal experience, most people are very surprised at what a nice car it is in person. So, anyone who is curious about hybrids will rent one, and then they will want to buy one.

Old 11-09-2005, 02:02 PM

I hope Toyota is close to getting that Tokyo City Prius production plant completed which is purported to be able to product ONE PRIUS PER MINUTE. That's 1,440 per day, 10,080 per week. That should end their supply problem !!!

Old 11-09-2005, 02:51 PM
Wannabe Hypermiler

Originally Posted by Obi Wan Ryobi
I think we will see a huge surge in demand for the Prius once it becomes a rental car. Many people have never seen or driven in one and are sceptical about the size and performance. From my personal experience, most people are very surprised at what a nice car it is in person. So, anyone who is curious about hybrids will rent one, and then they will want to buy one.
Funny you mention the Prius as a rental car, since renting a first generation Prius back in 2002 during a business trip is what convinced me to purchase my 2005 HCH. I found the Prius I, like my HCH, more than capable in all driving situations, which was very different from my view of hybrids before I actually got behind the wheel of one. And to think I didn't even mean to rent a Prius- the Prius was the only compact car left on the lot at the time.

Old 11-09-2005, 06:42 PM
Engineering first
Talking Re: Toyota Forced to Suspend Prius Fleet Sales in US

Hi,

I understand these folks are 'tired' of their 2004 Prius:

http://www.autoweek.com/article.cms?articleId=103484

I just contacted the editors and made an offer.

Bob Wilson

Old 11-11-2005, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by lars-ss
ONE PRIUS PER MINUTE. That's 1,440 per day, 10,080 per week.
The plant runs 24 hour shifts?