Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Toyota Prius (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/toyota-prius-10/)
-   -   What did you pay for your Prius? (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/toyota-prius-10/what-did-you-pay-your-prius-6524/)

Retired Navy LDO 03-25-2006 10:12 PM

What did you pay for your Prius?

2006 Prius, Accessory Package #3, dealer installed fender/door molding, permaplate interior/exterior, and 2 Toyota ball caps. 24,137 at Superstition Toyota in Mesa, Arizona. They had the perverbial $1000 dealer prep/add-on mark-up, but that was pretty easy to negotiate away. I;ve bought my last cars at or below invoice, but couldn't get close to invoice on the Prius. I felt pretty good getting AT MSRP. Anyone able to get one under MSRP yet that doesn't work for a Toyota dealer?

asaca 03-26-2006 03:50 AM

Re: What did you pay for your Prius?

There are people in Washington D.C area got it $1,400 below msrp, as well as in Virginia. Some one in Va. paid $1,500 below msrp, and in NY, $100 below msrp. Seems like if you are in the West Coast area you will have to paid the msrp. Here in No. Cal., msrp is pretty much standard, most dealers here do not mark up the price. I remember there is a topic in this forum about one of the member here bought one in DC area and drove it back to California. Look for topic "Long distance Prius "Break-in"" on page 3 of this forum for more detail.

JCFLETCH 03-26-2006 01:18 PM

I flew with my wife to DC and we purchased our super white #8 for $27,810. We took a week of vacation driving back(a couple of nights in Sedona, AZ) and paid the tax +lic in CA($2300). So $30,110 altogether. Best offer I had from Longo Toyota was $29,500 plus tax and lic (aprox $2600) and I was still on the waiting list(for 3 months). I decided not to wait. Anyone wants additional info-let me know.

asaca 03-26-2006 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by JCFLETCH
I flew with my wife to DC and we purchased our super white #8 for $27,810. We took a week of vacation driving back(a couple of nights in Sedona, AZ) and paid the tax +lic in CA($2300). So $30,110 altogether. Best offer I had from Longo Toyota was $29,500 plus tax and lic (aprox $2600) and I was still on the waiting list(for 3 months). I decided not to wait. Anyone wants additional info-let me know.

Thanks and congrat on your Prius's excellant price. You sure picked the right place staying overnight at Sedona, AZ, it's a wonderful place. Now I only hope I can have my vacation early and do the same.......

CamelFilters 03-26-2006 02:23 PM

06 Prius Classic Silver Metallic Base model with hood deflector and side window guards. Deal Signed March 6,06 delivered March 7, 06 at Scarborough Lexus Toyota, Scarborough, Ontario. I Paid Cash $36,500CAN OTR (on the Road) tax, freight, licensing & everything included; My salesrep managed to convince the manager to take off $1700 dollars; the car was supposed to cost over $38,000 dollars. Plus now i'm waiting for additional $1000 cash back from the ontario government.:D

Here's a pic of it at 3 weeks old
https://www.greenhybrid.com/share/image1106.html

AZMerf 03-26-2006 02:36 PM

Phoenix is a tough market for hybrids. I paid MSRP for my HCH but didn't have to wait very long. I didn't mind and I am happy I have it. And it's going to get worst as gas prices creep up as we move into the summer months.

JVought 03-27-2006 08:32 PM

We paid 1000 under MSRP. Pretty dang cool, got a new barcilona red with package 3 and interior upgrades, liquicell seat. If anyone is looking for a new Prius in Texas, send me a private message. I can point you to a couple places that will go under MSRP. AS you may be aware, many will NOT go under MSRP. They all still email me for some reason even though I told them I bought one already.

-JV

mckaya 03-28-2006 08:33 PM

Edited.

PriusGuy04 03-29-2006 08:57 AM

This always makes me wonder, people say they paid MSRP or less. I have always found they tack on the savings you think you had in the back of the deal..

I got my 04 #5 with nav/leather/jbl omitted
for 27,186 but by the time I pay it off I will have paid 31,000 something....

mckaya 03-29-2006 04:32 PM

In no small part for the reason you mention, I no longer buy cars that I can't afford to pay cash for. The only reason to finance a car is if you can't afford to do this or you have investment skills far beyond the average person. Even then, you should always get your own financing (not from the dealer) to avoid the back end games they play.

CamelFilters 03-30-2006 12:14 PM

Luckily i did save up for this car, so i was able to afford it cash.
however, for those who were able to knock off some amount from the MRSP. It's still money they save in the end. for example, $1000 dollars saved off the MRSP can get a family on a nice road trip or something.

anyway, just my point of view. In the end, everyone should be happy to own one of these cars, as they are still scarce to see out there, does turns some heads out there, people still dont quite understand what hybrid means; 3 of my closest neighbours asked me the first day i bought this car " so, how often do you have to plug it in? ". still gives me a good laugh remmembering it:D

Lazy Cat 03-31-2006 06:59 AM

Placed a special order last Nov for my 06 Option-8 Prius, picked it up in early Feb, and paid MSRP through Ventura Toyota. Very nice (honest) people to deal with, if you use their internet sales person. No one near my hometown (Lake Tahoe) would even consider any price close to MSRP. So, we flew to Ventura to take delivery, vacationed in Carmel on the drive home, and still saved $1,000 over our local four dealers best offers. Go figure!!

David Harville 03-31-2006 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by mckaya
The only reason to finance a car is if you can't afford to do this or you have investment skills far beyond the average person.

Actually, getting a car loan can have a favorable impact on your credit rating. Obviously you have to pay it to keep the impact positive. ;)

So, if you can afford to pay cash, it is certainly not a bad idea to get financing -- being sure that there is no penalty for early payment in full. Then, as soon as the first payment is due, pay off the whole loan. The favorable impact on your credit rating can reduce future costs (mortgage rate, auto insurance, etc.).

JVought 04-13-2006 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by PriusGuy04
This always makes me wonder, people say they paid MSRP or less. I have always found they tack on the savings you think you had in the back of the deal..

I got my 04 #5 with nav/leather/jbl omitted
for 27,186 but by the time I pay it off I will have paid 31,000 something....

True, Toyota dealer guys are NOTORIOUS for being sneaky. One area is the interest rate. I think if you got good credit you should get 6.9 or less, yet they were offering us 7.something initially. We looked at our bank and when the Toyota guys found out we had approval at 6, they magically found us financing at 5.95. So, as always, you have to MAKE them come down on everything. YOU MUST have another dealer you can mention that goes under MSRP. You must have your own loan option to get the interest rate lower. During the financing stage of things you can just say no to any of those other options they try to sell. The only thing we got was the service package. This IS a special car and you save a little money if you pay it that way instead of the Dealer charges everytime you take it in for regular maintenances(yes, even with the interest figured). Of course, if you feel comfortable with your regular street corner mechanic and his hybrid certification, you don't need this option.

JV

GaryW 04-27-2006 02:27 PM

You got that right about being sneaky. One dealership illegally ran a credit check against me without an approval. They will be reported soon, and if the government follows up, they'll have a nifty $2,500 fine. Remember, there are 3 reporting agencies. They hit experian for me, and it didn't register on the others.

The past number of weeks I have been quoting, wheeling, and dealing with numerous dealerships around new england(Primarily, MA, NH area). I did the very same thing for an 06 Civic Hybrid.

Lowest price I found for a Package #4 was $24,044, most were usually averaging closer to $25,000.

In my opinion, they are marking up the cars in response to the $3,150 tax deduction. After calculations on the full total price including fees, they are getting around 16%-17% profit over their cost of the vehicle. Comparatively, I have found the Honda Civic around 7% above dealer cost.

My advice is know the invoice cost for the vehicle. Know the actual Holdback on the vehicle (2% or 3% I believe for Toyota and Honda respectively), and calculate out the profit percentage for the vehicle. 5% is super fair. I'd say a bit higher may be ok considering popularity of the vehicle. but double or triple that is a ripoff.

Those were the numbers I calculated anyway.. I suggest doing it yourself rather than taking my word though. Trust yourself first.

In the end, I decided to wait on the Prius. My wife and I will get a Prius or whatever future rendition of the model there is in another couple of years. For now I just need an efficient commuter car to get to work, and after fees and such, I am paying ~$4,000 less for the Civic. I figure that is an ok compromise for me.

Don't get me wrong... I think the Prius is an awesome car! My decision was mainly financial and practicality. I just don't need a larger car for commuting. The Civic was simply smaller and lower cost.

Also as i'm dumping cash for the car, $4k is a notable difference. Its easier to pad/hide the cost if its financed and pushed out over a few years. I am not financing this time.

Oh well.. the next one will probaby be a Prius. Still the Civic is quite nice too, though not the same sort of Hybrid.

foo 04-30-2006 03:17 PM

2006 #8, sftoyota, MSRP, 4/24/06.

mdh 04-30-2006 06:18 PM

#7 for $500 below MSRP in bay area, Ca.

phoebeisis 05-01-2006 02:03 PM

On 4-22-06 I paid $23650 for a PK 4. With TTL it was $26,000. The OTD door price I wanted was $26000, and they just worked backward.The MSRP was $24185, so it was about $500 below MSRP-nothing to brag about, Our sales taxes are high-8.75%. Thanks,Charlie
PS After the credit it would be like $20,800+TTL. A loaded Matrix would be about the same price,a EX Civic would be about $18500, a loaded LE Corolla would be about $18,000.These aren't MSRPs; they are what I think I could get one for locally after negotiations via internet depts.

shawnb 05-06-2006 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by David Harville
So, if you can afford to pay cash, it is certainly not a bad idea to get financing -- being sure that there is no penalty for early payment in full. Then, as soon as the first payment is due, pay off the whole loan. The favorable impact on your credit rating can reduce future costs (mortgage rate, auto insurance, etc.).

I have a friend who financed a Jetta for his girlfriend and 5 months later paid in full. Originally, he had no problems getting financing and a good rate (5.8% in 2001).

A few months later he went to finance his own vehicle and he had a heck of a time getting approved and those that would were offering him 8.9% or more. He finally got some finance officers to explain why and it was because he had a car loan for a very short period of time.

Since then he's learned and so have I, that if you want to finance a car and pay it off early, do so on a 12 month increment and they won't know whether you paid early or not and it won't hurt you none.

Thanks,
Shawn

Morinack 05-13-2006 02:21 PM

At the end of April I bought my (USED) 2005 Silver Metallic Prius Pkg #4 with Prius stamped floor mats for $22,500. It had 972 miles on it. I am loving it. Best thing about it is my Credit Union gave me the new car interest rate on it.
;)

Morinack

Goofa 05-15-2006 02:58 PM

I paid msrp for a 2006 Mag Gray#4.

kbjm1955 05-16-2006 04:39 PM

I appraise real estate (lots of city driving) and the navigation and blue tooth phone are nice features for my line of work thus a Prius appeared to be the perfect vehicle.

I shopped for a new package 7 or 8 Prius here in South Florida for over six weeks and did not have any luck locating either of these in stock. To compound matters gas prices started rising again followed by the IRS announcing the $3150 tax credit. With this the local dealers began to raise prices $3 - 7k above msrp.

The best deal I could locate was a package 7 plus leather trimmed seats for $31.5k. And this price included a wait for the vehicle to arrive. I later found an "in stock" package 8 at another dealer, test drove it, loved it, but this dealer did not want to budge much from it's $35.5k asking price. I understand supply and demand but realized I needed to look elsewhere.

I remembered that Carmax has new car dealerships including two Toyota dealers in in Maryland and Wisconsin. By shopping on line I was lucky enough to locate a new package 8 at the Carmax Toyota dealer in Laurel. Md for approx $1,000 under msrp ($28,300). Since Carmax posts their vehicle prices on line and there is no haggling I made a phone call last Tuesday and by Friday morning I was driving the vehicle back home from the DC area.

The $3k - 5k (minimum) savings was well worth the flight, time, and mileage costs involved in retrieving the vehicle. In addition my wife and I made it a weekend trip which included a great overnight stay in Charleston, SC.

We averaged about 46 mpg on Interstate 95 with speeds of 65 - 75 per hour and I've enjoyed over 53 mpg the first week back under more normal driving conditions.

Fyi - the dealer indicated they get out of region buyers all the time and spoke of a lady from California who has flown out twice for new Priuses. If you go this route keep in mind they usually do not have much (if any) inventory.

We feel lucky to have found this deal and look forward to our many years of fuel and environmental savings. :shade:

TMCHAN 05-16-2006 06:16 PM

I bought 2006 Toyota Prius Silver Pine Mica with Package 7, leather interior upgrade and Extra Mile option package A for $30,449.00 last Friday. Orginally I picked Seasid Pearl and I had to change it because they didn't have it. I waited for 11 months. I traded in my 02 Prius with nav for $12,800 and they didn't give anything off MSRP. I paid MSRP +title License -trade in. They approved me for loan for 6.9% up to 6 months.

scandi1 05-17-2006 10:50 AM

My previous vehicle was a Ford Explorer Unlimited, and I loved driving it, but didn't like filling it up so much or so often.

The Prius were hard to find in Houston, and by the time I would go, they were already sold. I looked on edmunds and found two listed for areas just outside, and found an 04 that had 15Kon it, had nav sytem and bluetooth hookup, and the key system, safe key. I love it, but I'm only averaging 50.7mpg; I do mostly short trips in town, and when I drive highway miles, I average 57mpg. It listed for 28,9K, but I paid 25K.

TMCHAN 05-17-2006 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by scandi1
My previous vehicle was a Ford Explorer Unlimited, and I loved driving it, but didn't like filling it up so much or so often.

The Prius were hard to find in Houston, and by the time I would go, they were already sold. I looked on edmunds and found two listed for areas just outside, and found an 04 that had 15Kon it, had nav sytem and bluetooth hookup, and the key system, safe key. I love it, but I'm only averaging 50.7mpg; I do mostly short trips in town, and when I drive highway miles, I average 57mpg. It listed for 28,9K, but I paid 25K.

scandi,

I think you paid a little bit high on 04" Prius. If you paid $3000 more, you could have gotten yourself 06' Prius with Package 7 (Nav) for $28,000. In San Antonio, you can buy one on the lot. Some girl bought one from the lot when I picked up my car. Last night, I saw one (Seaside Pearl with no option) on the lot.

pcflorida 05-18-2006 09:05 AM

I bought mine at the dealer in Panama City for $24,600. It has option #3. I found it by going to toyota.com, clicking on build your Prius, and clicking on find my Prius. It gives you the availabilty in the region, and when new arrivals are scheduled for your zip code. I went to the dealer on Tuesday, gave them my number and asked them to call when the red one got in. They didn't know one was coming, but they agreed. On Thurday I got the call, and after the test drive, it was all over. Still at Full on my second tank, 600 miles.

scandi1 05-18-2006 12:03 PM

Well, perhaps I did pay too much, but the prices for the comparable car in mileage and package 6 is now 26K for what I see on the internet. The rumor is that men in car sales take advantage of the "little ladies":confused: , so perhaps I was duped. But, I do like the car, and it's saved me a lot of money on gas.:)

bwilson4web 05-18-2006 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by scandi1
Well, perhaps I did pay too much, but the prices for the comparable car in mileage and package 6 is now 26K for what I see on the internet. The rumor is that men in car sales take advantage of the "little ladies":confused: , so perhaps I was duped. But, I do like the car, and it's saved me a lot of money on gas.:)

One of Murphy's Laws is that as soon as the deal is signed, a better offer will come along.

Bob Wilson

TMCHAN 05-18-2006 01:04 PM

Scandi,
Can you bring it back to the dealer? How long do you have the car? I searched on the web and the MSRP of 2004 (basic) was $20,510 + package 9 was $5245=$25755 when it was new back in 2004. I'm sorry they cheated you. You could have gotten yourself a new with navigation for $28,000. I put $500 deposit last June and I just got my 06' Prius fully loaded with navigation, leather, back-up cameras for $30,499.

CamelFilters 05-18-2006 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by bwilson4web
One of Murphy's Laws is that as soon as the deal is signed, a better offer will come along.

Bob Wilson

I totally agree, those of you who have signed to own for one this year, that includes me, there's news of the next generation prius 2009 model already in the works by toyota. that means it could be here in about 2 years (2008 perhaps and sold as a 2009 model).
:D

TMCHAN 05-18-2006 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by CamelFilters
I totally agree, those of you who have signed to own for one this year, that includes me, there's news of the next generation prius 2009 model already in the works by toyota. that means it could be here in about 2 years (2008 perhaps and sold as a 2009 model).
:D

I didn't know they weren't going to have 2004 Prius when I bought my first 02' Prius. I bought 2006 Prius because I had problems with 02 Prius. They always have something new like computers and stereos.

CamelFilters 05-18-2006 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by TMCHAN
I didn't know they weren't going to have 2004 when I bought my first 02' Prius, They always have something new like computers and stereos.

Yeah, i was just reading the article here
http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=109981

it says that according to the way how japanese base their fuel economy testing standards, the current prius gets 35KM/1L and the next generation will (hopefully) do 40KM/1L: again this is a controlled environment. The difference doesnt look much under the same testing environment, but 2008 is still 2 years from now, anything can change by then. The best part is that, toyota is hoping to bring the cost down by more than $4,200 of what the current generation sells for, and by then there will be lots of hybrids to choose from; so they better bring it out in 2008 as a 2009 model:D

TMCHAN 05-18-2006 01:52 PM

It is nice to know they have one in works. I'm not going to buy their first production year model. I wait until they have all bugs solved. I remember they had some problems when they first came out back in 2003 (2004 models).

phoebeisis 05-18-2006 01:53 PM

Scandi1-you did OK- couple of $1000 doesn't matter much.

Scandi 1, you did OK on your deal.Pricing varies a lot by region. If you could have gotten it for $2000 less, so what.Over 6 years that is $1/day. Not worth worrying about now.
It is very close to impossible to return a car to the dealer(and actually get your money back).Most folks who post here will be folks who got a better than average deal, so they will be "bragging" to some extent. Folks who got an average deal don't post here.You did OK.
The car has low miles,lotta nice options and safety features-just enjoy it!Luck,Charlie

YBLee 05-20-2006 03:13 AM

Rt 44 Toyota, Raynham, MA. 3/10/05. New, 0.0 miles, Silver, package #7 plus a couple of minor accessories, $26,800. Took 3+ hrs of negotiation!!

grayday101 05-20-2006 06:11 PM

We spent MSRP today for an 06 with Package 6, and felt lucky to get it! Southern NJ dealers are not stocking them, and all we contacted want to add doodads (we sell at MSRP, but undercoat, pinstripe, etc., etc.) Implication being that it might be a longish wait if we didn't want to buy the adders.

Walked into a PA dealer on spec, and they had one with Package 6 that had been ordered, but refused because the buyer didn't like the color. Arrest me Red isn't my favorite color either, but the test drive changed that!

Weatherboy 05-22-2006 08:54 PM

Just got my 2006 Package 8 Prius for $29,120 loving it but only had it for 6 hours :). Actually seems you save a bit getting the Package 8 as they are not as popular as the 3 and 6 packages. Think my region isn't the best for then either in NW Pennsylvannia.

TMCHAN 05-23-2006 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by Weatherboy
Just got my 2006 Package 8 Prius for $29,120 loving it but only had it for 6 hours :). Actually seems you save a bit getting the Package 8 as they are not as popular as the 3 and 6 packages. Think my region isn't the best for then either in NW Pennsylvannia.

Weatherboy,

Congradulations on your new Prius. It is tough to get one with navigation. I waited for one for almost a year. They didn't come out too many Package 7 and up with navigation and leather.

memiller 05-23-2006 06:00 PM

I paid $22701 for my '05 Prius, $22321 for my '03, both bought in Michigan. No idea what MRSP was.

PackerlandPrius 05-24-2006 06:48 AM

I just purchased mine a week ago. Its a 2005 without the Nav System but with side airbags. I paid $21,500, which was $2000 of the list price. I also got the extended warranty 6/75/$0 for $790 by telling the dealer I found that price at warrantiestoyota.com and they matched it. I understand this was $500 or so off what they were going to offer it to me initially.

I love the Prius and have absolutely no remorse on buying it. I'm doing my part and saving $250 a month in gas alone.

So far I've averaged 56 mpg over the last 200 miles.