XM commander radio for Prius?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2005, 09:07 AM
Green Team Republican
Default XM commander radio for Prius?

Hi,

I just got my Prius this past weekend after 2 month wait and am considering a few modifications to the audio.

I'm curious to hear from those who have installed the PriusXM ($300?) and how it performs - sound quality wise (hiss? feedback during deep bass, loud volume vocals, highs, etc?)

Also, very curious to hear if anyone has installed the XM commander radio instead (or if you can confirm for me if it can be)? If so, how would you rate the same quality as described above?

The commander needs to direct-connect using RCA to HeadUnit auxiliary input? Would the non-jbl stock radio in Prius be compatible therefor?

I'm just thinking the $130 savings is justified and will just forfeit the voice command or steering wheel commands accordingly - will use the Commander's remote..

Thanks for any insights!

Regards,

Old 06-21-2005, 11:44 AM
Site Founder
Default Re: XM commander radio for Prius?

I can't comment on the XM Commander, but can highly recommend the PriusXM system. You can see my testimonial on that page.

There's zero hiss. Audio quality is excellent and can be modified (obviously) with the Prius' sound controls to increase bass, etc if you so choose. I hate third-party so the integrated solution was definitely best for me.

Old 06-21-2005, 12:06 PM
Green Team Republican

thanks for that personal performance review and I take that into definite consideration as I've also just received a PM from another source saying he replaced his CommanderXM w/PriusXM for same reasons you suggest. You can apparently direct connect the CommanderXM which is the only reason i would contemplate that (given the $130 or so savings).

Also, would you or anyone know if the 'non-JBL' stock radio has sufficient auxiliary input/outputs (excuse my ignorance) to connect an add-on external Amp + the PRiusXM system?

Thanks in advance~

Old 06-21-2005, 12:35 PM
Enthusiast
Smile Re: XM commander radio for Prius?

MajorHy,

I don't know much about adding an external amplifier to the Prius, however, I can tell you that the back of the radio has a 12-pin connector that is used for auxillary devices like a CD changer, MiniDisc, and in this case, PriusXM. You can plug multiple devices into the same proprietary connector using a Y cable. Some Prius with dealer-installed CD changers will already have the Y cable installed.

In any case, PriusXM works on ALL 2004 and 2005 Prius regardless of the option package.

I hope that helps.

-Jon

Old 06-21-2005, 12:45 PM
Green Team Republican

OK, I copy that.. thanks both~