XM Radio: Only 10 Characters?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2005, 01:25 PM
Site Founder
Default XM Radio: Only 10 Characters?

I've had PriusXM XM Satelite Radio for quite some time. At first, I figured the satelites only beam the first 10 characters of the name & title information to units. But, after seeing XM in action in my father's Acura RL, I realized this isn't the case. Is there a particular reason why I'm only getting the first 10 characters on the display?

Old 03-08-2005, 12:11 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

pioneer only supports 10 letters

Old 03-08-2005, 12:13 PM
Rarely post anything

I would guess that it's a decision by the mfg of the HU... but on a telematic (?) display screen, it should be only a software limitation, not a h/w one, unless the receiving unit had the limitation built into it. Then the display can only show what the receiver gets.

Looking at your link for the Prius add-on kit, and the screencaps there, I'm a little puzzled as to why it's truncated so much on your unit, as well.

I have one of the original Sony XM-01 transportable units (gee, you can tell *I'm* an early adopter, huh ? ), and it differs in the amount of chars shown than on the built-in unit in my AH.

In addition, there's a display in the upper dash on my AH, to go along with the display on the radio 'proper' (along with the CC set temp, and the clock, it displays the artist / title when the songs change or commercials / info messages play- but not on *all* stations!), and the # of chars shown differs between the two of *them* (although IIRC, the display scrolls through on the upper section, when it has a phrase that's too big to fit on one screen - I have to verify this, though - usually, my eyes are on the road )

So your dad owns an RL, huh ? One of the new ones ? How does he (and you) like it ? (I compared the AH to the TL when I was shopping, and saw the RL then) Nice car - but I'm not in the $50K car market at this point in my life. Props to your dad, though...

Old 03-08-2005, 03:32 PM
Site Founder

Hmm. I think I'll talk to Jonathan, owner of PriusXM, about the capabilities of the unit.

Yeah, my dad has an RL. 2004, I think? He loves it, but to be honest he's extremely obnoxious when he HAS to use the voice recognition to [badly] state the desired temperature instead of flicking a little switch a couple times -- much quicker.

I hardly ever use voice recognition on the Prius. Occasionally to impress someone, but usually they end up talking just as I'm saying a command

Old 05-11-2008, 06:14 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: XM Radio: Only 10 Characters?

I have the same 10 character problem in my 2004 Prius. Some entertaining Artist/Title combinations come up, so I made a blog about it:

http://10characters.blogspot.com