Website Questions & Input Suggestions and inquiries about Electric Vehicle Forums are welcome here.

extended page load times

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2007, 01:29 PM
Enthusiast
Post Re: extended page load times

Our ad traffic manager will be running internal redirects soon so there shouldn't be any more problems.

Old 01-12-2007, 01:46 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: extended page load times

Originally Posted by Johnc73
I only have problems loading this site up in the linux version of Firefox. Windows is fine. I thinks my problem is Flash, the whole browser feels like molasses and I have to switch to a different app to get the image to refresh.
John,
I have the same problem in Firefox only with Windows. I wonder if it is something to do with the Flash ads as well.

Old 01-19-2007, 09:01 PM
Active Enthusiast

I just installed the latest linux flash 9 release (no longer beta) and this site works great now. Tim, might want to try and see if your version of flash is old and if so get the latest version.

Old 01-23-2007, 02:18 PM
Super Moderator & Contributor ($)

For what it is worth I think that the site is slooooooow as well. IE seems to work better than Firefox. Sometimes it looks like the whole page has loaded but something is getting hung up and will not let you click on anything or if it does it acts really slow. It slows down the entire computer to the point of needing a reboot sometimes. Very annoying.

Old 01-29-2007, 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by lakedude
For what it is worth I think that the site is slooooooow as well. IE seems to work better than Firefox. Sometimes it looks like the whole page has loaded but something is getting hung up and will not let you click on anything or if it does it acts really slow. It slows down the entire computer to the point of needing a reboot sometimes. Very annoying.
Exactly my problem. I find it especially bad when I try to reply to a post in Firefox. The last 3 times I tried it, the entire browser froze up and I had to use task manager to close it down. I now use IE only for GreenHybrid and even in IE it is very slow. I wish they'd turn off the ads for a little while to see if that is the problem....

Old 01-29-2007, 11:04 PM
Dan
MPG Centurion

Originally Posted by Tim K
Exactly my problem. I find it especially bad when I try to reply to a post in Firefox. The last 3 times I tried it, the entire browser froze up and I had to use task manager to close it down. I now use IE only for GreenHybrid and even in IE it is very slow. I wish they'd turn off the ads for a little while to see if that is the problem....
Ditto here on the flash ads. I've noticed it hangs more than my browser, but really clobbers my system performance as well. Flash upgrade, here I come.

Old 01-30-2007, 01:09 PM
Super Moderator & Contributor ($)

Fantastic News!!

I've fixed the problem on my home system. The problem is DEFINITELY the Flash adds. I found a wonderful program called Flashblock that has fixed the slooooooow load times. With Flashblock installed you get an "f" instead of the Flash animation as shown in this picture on the top of the page with the red arrow. If you want to see the Flash animation you just hover over the "f" and the "f" turns into a play arrow as shown on the right side of this picture:

See: http://johnhaller.com/jh/useful_stuff/disable_flash.asp
and: http://flashblock.mozdev.org/

Old 02-02-2007, 06:58 AM

A) GH is now completely useless in Firefox.
B) I installed FlashBlocker and it seems to work on other sites, but the ads here on GH are still showing up....

(posted using IE7)

Old 02-02-2007, 08:06 AM
Engineering first

Hi,

Originally Posted by Tim K
A) GH is now completely useless in Firefox.
B) I installed FlashBlocker and it seems to work on other sites, but the ads here on GH are still showing up....

(posted using IE7)
This is a hard problem because the performance problem is not universal. I run both Macs and PCs with Firefox and IE and have no performance problems. This simply means whatever the problem is, I can't reproduce it.

For a good friends who manage GreenHybrid.com, I would like to suggest this may be a problem that you are in a unique position to resolve. The approach I would use is to:

1) use tcpdump to record a set of network data to and from GH and the flash server
2) use tcptrace to analyze the data to find flash sessions that appear to have performance problems (aka., retransmissions, slow ACK)
3) look for patterns that might relate to the problem sites

Because the performance problem is not universal, I still suspect the network, in part because I am a network engineer and that is my 'meal ticket.' But when I looked at the posted traceroutes, the routes were sufficiently different to indicate a rich 'ambiguity group.'

Feel free to PM me about our approaches to network problem diagnosis.

Bob Wilson

Old 03-02-2007, 11:20 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I had the same problem, 100% CPU load by flash.
Installed Flashblock, then the problem was gone.
My enviroment is Mozilla 1.7.8 and MS Windows 2000 on Pen-III 800MHz.

Ken@Japan

Last edited by ken1784; 03-02-2007 at 11:22 PM.

Quick Reply: extended page load times

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands