2004 Honda Civic Hybrid Oxygen Sensor Recall?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2011, 12:37 PM
Enthusiast
Default 2004 Honda Civic Hybrid Oxygen Sensor Recall?

I have a 2004 Honda Civic Hybrid and it's in the shop RIGHT NOW for a bad clutch and now they are saying that the O2 sensor is dead.

I just read that there is a recall but I can't find ANYTHING about it.

Old 09-21-2011, 06:00 PM
Think green.
Default Re: 2004 Honda Civic Hybrid Oxygen Sensor Recall?

There isn't a recall, but there are some warranty extensions you should know about. I will send you a PM with a link that may help you.

Old 09-23-2011, 11:16 AM
Enthusiast

They fixed it! No charge! Thank you!

I really do feel like they tried to rip me off. If I didn't tell them about the burnishing and the O2 sensor they would have charged me. I know this for a fact because they gave me pricing! I said take a look at service bulletins X, Y, Z and they changed their tune. Asses. If I didn't ask, I would not have received. (Hey, that's biblical!)

Old 09-23-2011, 12:23 PM
Think green.

I'm glad it worked out well for you. That was good timing!

Old 10-04-2011, 06:34 AM
Enthusiast

I have a 2004 MT Civic Hybrid. Could you send that link with info on the warranty extensions? thanks!

Old 10-04-2011, 07:48 AM

I have a 2004 MT Civic Hybrid. Could you send that link with info on the warranty extensions? thanks!
I don't think there was an actual recall on these issues. At least there is no information at Honda's owner link that I see regarding these issues.

Apparently Honda sent out packages to certain Civic Hybrid owners regarding the warranty extension and reimbursement. I'm not sure what criteria was used to determine who got the letters. I bought my 2003 HCH new, but it seems some people who bought their Civic hybrids used from the dealer also got notified. Below is a breakdown of the package I received.

There is also another thread on this subject you might want to checkout:

https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...nverter-27212/

I got four separate notices in the package I received:

1) Product Update: ECM Update to Improve DTC P1420 and P2000 Detection Threshold

I had this done yesterday when I brought the car in for an oil change. I did have the P1420 set but it always took a while to come back after resetting the ECM (as compared to the P0420 which usually comes back within 10 miles or so after reset). I will check this again with my code reader in a couple days to see if the P1420 has returned.

2) Warranty Extension: Secondary and Third Oxygen Sensors.

Warranty extended to 8 years or 80,000 miles. Pretty much a joke as I suspect 90% of 2003-2005 HCH's are already over 80,000 miles.

3) Possible Reimbursement Eligibility: Previous Secondary and/or Third Oxygen Sensor Replacement.

I never had these replaced.

4) Possible Reimbursement Eligibility: Previous Catalytic Converter Replacement.

I had this done twice, first time under warranty and the second cost me about $1100. I have already sent the paperwork in and I'm hoping they send me a check. Fingers crossed...

Old 10-04-2011, 01:40 PM
Think green.

The latest mailings said there is an ECM update to improve sensor readings relating to the catalytic converter, and there is a warranty extension relating to the secondary and third heated oxygen sensors. Your Honda service adviser should have info in their computers for both these items; they can also look up you car's VIN number and see what you need. Relevant numbers for service bulletins are:

Service Bulletin 11-043 is the current software update for the cat sensors.

Service Bulletin 11-044 is the warranty extension for the secondary and third heated oxygen sensors. Warranty is extended to 8 years from the original date of purchase or 80,000 miles whichever comes first.

If you have had either of these items replaced already and are seeking reimbursement, you should call Honda America at the number that Karrina posted (it's either in this thread or the one that Mark gave a link to in his post), and see if they can send you the necessary forms.