ecvt cooler

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2014, 11:56 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default ecvt cooler

i purchased an aftermarket tranny cooler to install on my 2008 Ford Escape Hybrid AWD i also installed a hitch because im planning on towing, after spending 3 days under the SUV i realized the the cooling from the electric engine is what also cools the transmission fluid. i aim currently working on developing a cooling system for my ecvt fluid and hoping this system can work on all cvts. i plan on incorporating a switch to decide when to run the system or a thermostat switch. my trip is in a month and hopefully i can install it and do some test runs and heat measurements before my 1800 mile trip, hauling a 6x12 uhaul.

If i get good results would anyone be interested on something like this?

Last edited by supersailor89; 05-21-2014 at 11:58 PM.
Old 05-22-2014, 10:16 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: ecvt cooler

Are there any reports of Escape Hybrid eCVT's failing from overheating? Do they fail much from anything at all?

Old 05-22-2014, 11:26 PM
Active Enthusiast

i dont think so, but because im driving with over towing limit i was thinking maybe cooling the trans would prevent that. and other people think that they need coolers on thier trannys based on thier location like las vegas

Old 05-23-2014, 04:49 AM
Imported from Detroit

Originally Posted by supersailor89
i dont think so, but because im driving with over towing limit i was thinking maybe cooling the trans would prevent that. and other people think that they need coolers on thier trannys based on thier location like las vegas
Posts of towing or hauling over limits are common in this forum with no problems after doing so.

Old 05-23-2014, 06:30 AM
Active Enthusiast

thanks bill,

do u happen to know whats the most anyone has towed and for how long? or a link? id greatly appreciate it. i cant seem to find anything besides pictures.

Old 05-23-2014, 01:42 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Basically you're trying to address problem you're not sure exists using a 'solution' that is designed for conventional fluid cooled transmissions (which an e-CVT is not). Let's hope that the negatives cancel out the negatives for you!

A bigger problem for towing big loads is trying to maintain highway speed with a ~150hp engine pulling the the 5000# weight of a loaded 4WD FEH plus whatever your trailer weighs. From experience an FEH doesn't get very good MPG if you have to rev it up past 4000rpm all the time.

Old 05-23-2014, 01:50 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by D-mac
Basically you're trying to address problem you're not sure exists using a 'solution' that is designed for conventional fluid cooled transmissions (which an e-CVT is not). Let's hope that the negatives cancel out the negatives for you!

A bigger problem for towing big loads is trying to maintain highway speed with a ~150hp engine pulling the the 5000# weight of a loaded 4WD FEH plus whatever your trailer weighs. From experience an FEH doesn't get very good MPG if you have to rev it up past 4000rpm all the time.
what do u meant by negatives cancel negatives?

Old 05-24-2014, 04:53 AM
Imported from Detroit

thanks bill,

do u happen to know whats the most anyone has towed and for how long? or a link? id greatly appreciate it. i cant seem to find anything besides pictures.
Use the Search function, enter "tow hitch" and select "Ford Escape Hybrid" section.

Old 05-24-2014, 06:22 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by D-mac

what do u meant by negatives cancel negatives?

You are using a transmission cooler designed for a vehicle with a conventional automatic transmission with clutch packs and a torque convertor with a CVT transmission that uses an entirely different technology. That is one issue that he is talking about. The other is that you are using a vehicle designed for fuel economy as a tow vehicle. Ford placed the limits that it did to make sure that nothing is damaged while towing and that your Escape can safely move the load up inclines and, more importantly, STOP that load safely.

Yes, there are plenty of people that have towed heavy loads with an Escape Hybrid and nothing happened. If you are involved in a wreck however and your vehicles towing capacity or braking ability is called into question and you are over the limit, guess what is going to happen.....

I know of guys that tow 20,000 pound trailers with a Ford F-250 single rear wheel truck that are WAY over the allowed limits on towing. I also know of 2 that have wrecked because of it. Your money, your choices in life.

I tow a 15,000 pound 5th wheel with a diesel Ford F-350 Dually and still don't feel safe on long downgrades if something happens and the trailer brakes fail. That is the reason I'm thinking of moving up to a medium duty truck that can stop the rig by itself. By the way, I'm rated to tow a 21,600 pound 5th wheel but I prefer to stay on the "save my hide" side of the ledger.

Last edited by GeorgiaHybrid; 05-25-2014 at 03:59 AM.
Old 05-24-2014, 11:01 AM
Imported from Detroit

This has been discussed here before and there are no limits(laws) for towing placed on non-commercial vehicles.

Quick Reply: ecvt cooler

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands