FEH/4WD/Scanguage-II

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2009, 05:49 PM
Default Re: FEH/4WD/Scanguage-II

Originally Posted by DesertDog
In the 2005 PC/ED manual they list the PIDs and the hex value. Apparently they stopped doing this in later manuals and just listed the PID description.

The more I think about it, 50% max value makes some sense. Higher than 50% DC might be bad for the solenoid. You're probably right that the scaling is off.

I have only had a scangauge for about 2 years. But like any new toy I had to try out all the features. When I first contacted LL about retrieving PIDs using the CMNDS feature, they said I was the first person who had asked about doing this. Before I got the PC/ED manual I stepped through almost 10,000 mode 22 PIDs, writing down what if any response there was from my FEH. Even now there are some mode 22 PIDs that I have never figured out what they mean like $0100,$0202,$1100,$1108,etc.
Your right Carl, I have both manuals and Ford deleted the PID # in my '09 FEH PCM/ED manual. The Ford specific J2190 PID list are constantly updated and can be accessed by an "appropriate scan tool" according to the '09 manual.

BTW, there was a '09 PCM/ED manual on Ebay this morning for around $12 I think. I paid $55 from Helms last year.

GaryG

Old 05-16-2009, 08:15 PM
Imported from Detroit

In the 2005 PC/ED manual they list the PIDs and the hex value. Apparently they stopped doing this in later manuals and just listed the PID description.

The more I think about it, 50% max value makes some sense. Higher than 50% DC might be bad for the solenoid. You're probably right that the scaling is off.

I have only had a scangauge for about 2 years. But like any new toy I had to try out all the features. When I first contacted LL about retrieving PIDs using the CMNDS feature, they said I was the first person who had asked about doing this. Before I got the PC/ED manual I stepped through almost 10,000 mode 22 PIDs, writing down what if any response there was from my FEH. Even now there are some mode 22 PIDs that I have never figured out what they mean like $0100,$0202,$1100,$1108,etc.
In that thread, you state four pages of PIDs, I have probably six pages! That module doesn't draw that much current including the solenoid.

The articles I've read say that 100% torque can go to the rear under heavy throttle which is 100% duty cycle. Of course, this system doesn't seem to work as described either so far!

Old 05-17-2009, 09:11 AM
Imported from Detroit

Response time won't make a difference. I suppose it is possible that the full scale reading is 50%, but it seems unlikely. But, you can change the MTH to 006400330000 and see if that gives you values that match the scope readings.
Yeah, that's much closer but a bit lower. I'm guessing that the PID is duty cycle command sent not actual as I'm measuring it.

Old 05-29-2009, 05:48 PM
Imported from Detroit

The '09 FE shop manual that I got today doesn't really explain much more than already has been written on the subject.

One line that's in the manual, a link I provided somewhere above and also in a post from someone else is: During normal operation, most of the torque is sent to the front wheels. The key word is "most" which means some torque is sent to the rear during normal driving. It goes on to say if wheel slippage is detected or heavy acceleration the AWD system increases torque to the rear wheels to prevent or control wheel slip.

The Section is on 4WD systems but after that it's refered to as AWD.

In one pinpoint test in the manual it says while monitoring the torque control solenoid's duty cycle, drive no faster than 5mph on dry pavement making sharp turns and should see at least 20% duty cycle. There wasn't a similiar pinpoint test for driving straight.

Old 06-14-2009, 08:10 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TeeSter
A few things to note IF that works. 4WD being actually probably more like AWD will help one maintain the road in wet conditions as well (you could always put the fuse back in). You are likely to get a failure code and warning in your message center saying the 4WD system is on the fritz (probalby could ignore it I suppose). Not sure how much you'll see but probably not the whole 2-4MPG. Weight, Height will still be unchanged AND I'd think you'd still see some of the drag from the electronic "clutch" (I guess thats what its called) that controls torque to the back wheels.
GREAT NEWS for 4WD/AWD FEH/MMH owners. This weekend I needed to travel up to my cottage about 112 miles away. I filled the gas tank at the start of the trip, and removed the 10 AMP "Four Wheel Drive" fuse. In my 2008, that fuse is #11 (see fuse map below). After traveling up and back about 95% highway at speeds of 55 - 65 MPH, my nav overall MPG is reading 34 MPG. I have consistently gotten an actual MPG reading approx 1 - 1.5 MPG lower than what the nav screen reads (I reset with every tank). That means I got an actual 32.5 - 33 MPG for this highway trip. I have NEVER gotten better than about 30.5 MPG for this highway trip. So I have seen an approx. 2 - 2.5 MPG imporovement by deactivating the 4WD. No message or error has shown up anywhere. Also, although I did not have any panicking stopping to see if there was any negative impact on my ABS braking - my braking did seem normal. So thanks to WPTSKI and others for this valuable observation/development. Looks like I can have FWD high gas mileage in the summer, and 4WD capability in my snowy winters. Nice!!!

2008 Fuse description:
Passenger compartment fuse panel
The fuse panel is located on the right-hand side of the center console, by the instrument panel. Remove the panel cover to access the fuse cover. Press the tabs on the top and bottom of the fuse cover to remove.

The fuses are coded as follows:
Fuse/RelayLocation Fuse Amp Rating Passenger Compartment Fuse Panel Description
1 30A Not used (spare)
2 15A Brake On/Off switch
3 15A Not used (spare)
4 30A 110V inverter
5 10A Keypad illumination, Brake Shift Interlock (BSI), SPDJB
6 20A Turn signals, Stop lamps
7 10A Low beam headlamps (left)
8 10A Low beam headlamps (right)
9 15A Interior lights
10 15A Backlighting
11 10A Four wheel drive
12 7.5A Power mirror switch
13 7.5A Canister vent
14 10A FCIM (radio buttons), Satellite radio, Front display module
15 10A Climate control
16 15A Not used (spare)
17 20A All lock motor feeds, Liftgate release, Liftglass release
18 20A Heated seat
19 25A Rear wiper
20 15A Datalink
21 15A Fog lamps
22 15A Park lamps
23 15A High beam headlamps
24 20A Horn relay
25 10A Demand lamps
26 10A Instrument panel cluster
27 20A Ignition switch
28 5A Radio
29 5A Instrument panel cluster
30 5A Not used (spare)
31 10A Compass module
32 10A Restraints control module
33 10A Speed control switch
34 5A Speed control deactivate switch
35 10A Four wheel drive, EPAS (steering)

Last edited by 08MMHybridHappy; 06-14-2009 at 08:25 PM.
Old 06-14-2009, 08:39 PM
Imported from Detroit

08MMHybridHappy:

You didn't get the "wrench" icon on your dash???? That's odd as I did when I pulled the 4WD fuse on my '09 FE!

I'm glad that it worked well for you though!

Old 06-15-2009, 05:44 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wptski
08MMHybridHappy:

You didn't get the "wrench" icon on your dash???? That's odd as I did when I pulled the 4WD fuse on my '09 FE!

I'm glad that it worked well for you though!
Dah! As it turns out - I DO have the wrench icon displayed. I hadn't noticed it because I have my Scangauge mounted in the lower left of the instrument cluster and it was hiding it. I temporarily moved it this morning and saw the wrench icon. I will need to look for a better permanent location for my Scangauge, as I may miss something else important some day. Which begs the question - Should I be worried about the wrench icon? Can I run some diagnostic on the Scangauge to confirm that it is indicating 4WD disabled? Thank you in advance for any help.

Old 06-15-2009, 06:23 AM
Imported from Detroit

Originally Posted by 08MMHybridHappy
Dah! As it turns out - I DO have the wrench icon displayed. I hadn't noticed it because I have my Scangauge mounted in the lower left of the instrument cluster and it was hiding it. I temporarily moved it this morning and saw the wrench icon. I will need to look for a better permanent location for my Scangauge, as I may miss something else important some day. Which begs the question - Should I be worried about the wrench icon? Can I run some diagnostic on the Scangauge to confirm that it is indicating 4WD disabled? Thank you in advance for any help.
I'm not sure if the torque control duty cycle value is actually measuring the output or just the command sent to the 4WD module. Darn, this is just a day late past me providing an answer as I just put my console back together early yesterday! I'd would hazard a guess that pulling the fuse does indeed disable 4WD. Your increase in MPG just adds one more clue that it does.

A better solution would be to mount a toggle switch, say on the forward part, inside the cosole storage compartment to open/close either wire going to the ITCC unit in the rearend. This would probably involve removing the entire console as the wires going to the module from a larger harness is only a few inches long. Not enough room to get in there to cut, strip wire, etc.

EDIT
Just pulled my fuse and the SG-II 4WD PID now shows 0%, so it does monitor the output not just the command input. It doesn't set any DTC either!

Last edited by wptski; 06-15-2009 at 01:43 PM.
Old 06-16-2009, 06:53 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 08MMHybridHappy
The stuff I posted about DTCs for non-emissions modules should work.

For the 4WD module the xgauge to check for DTCs is:

TXD: 07611800FF00
RXF: 026914580000
RXD: 2810
MTH: 000100010000
NAM: DTC

If this displays 0000 then there are no DTCs for the 4WD module. Otherwise decode per this thread: https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...30/index3.html and look up the DTC in the shop manual or google it.

Old 06-16-2009, 08:54 AM
Imported from Detroit

The stuff I posted about DTCs for non-emissions modules should work.

For the 4WD module the xgauge to check for DTCs is:

TXD: 07611800FF00
RXF: 026914580000
RXD: 2810
MTH: 000100010000
NAM: DTC

If this displays 0000 then there are no DTCs for the 4WD module. Otherwise decode per this thread: https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...30/index3.html and look up the DTC in the shop manual or google it.
The 4WD module isn't a P Code? The "wrench" icon is listed as a powertrain issue.

BTW: I'm getting a bit more throttle response from a dead stop with the 4WD disabled.

Quick Reply: FEH/4WD/Scanguage-II

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands