Center console

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 04:17 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Center console

Originally Posted by Smilin' Jack
Re. the "bolt right in" question, it would seem so from the post here by John312 and others, and the illustrations on the link I posted a few minutes ago seem consistent with that.

Perhaps John312 could confirm.
Yes, it is a quick less than 10 min job. Just pop off the panel under the a/c vents from the back seat, raise the armrest (to lessen pressure on the spring), remove the four screws, remove the old armrest, line up the new armrest, reinstall the four screws, close the armrest, reinstall the panel. Done.

Old 05-19-2008, 05:57 PM
Active Enthusiast

I'm confused about this "black hole" thing. I drove an '08 Anniversary Edition about a year ago and just don't remember the configuration of the dash/center stack.

On the Toyota site, the pic of the dash/center stack shows what could be a "hole" at the bottom but it has what I assume to be a flip-up cover. Is this something they changed on the '09?

Also, does the NAV version of the TCH have "dedicated" HVAC controls or are they integrated into the NAV screen like they are on an RX400h? That same pic I mentioned shows an HVAC section right under the screen. Is there a button that shuts down the compressor?

I hope that's the case; if we get a TCH it would be for my wife and she would want no part of the Lexus HVAC setting system.

This is a TERRIFIC board, BTW. I've learned a TON from the members here.

Old 05-19-2008, 06:09 PM
Active Enthusiast

Well as far as the HVAC is concerned its separate from the NAV. its very easy to use. It has its own section below the audio/NAV system.

Old 05-19-2008, 06:14 PM
Active Enthusiast

I think you are referring to the hole at the bottom under the A/C controls. yes it has a garage door type cover than comes down to cover it. inside that is a 12 volt and the aux plug for your ipod. Also on the right side of that box there are pop outs so that you can run the wires for your ipod out and have it where you can change songs etc. its a pretty cool setup. Also yes there is a button for the A/C that you can turn off.

Old 05-20-2008, 08:36 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I believe the "black hole" people speak of is the hole just in front of the center arm rest.

Personally, I do not have a problem with, other than it collects dirt.

Old 05-20-2008, 08:45 AM
Active Enthusiast

Dust and the crumbs from my Sausage McMuffin as I drive and eat to work!!!

I don't mind the hole, because you do need a space to throw your keys and wallet.

I like the sliding armrest, but I am still trying to get leather on my DVD armrest. May go the sliding armrest route if I butcher my arm rest trying to get the leather off!!!

Always love to see the healthy exchange of ideas at this forum,
Randyman

Old 06-06-2008, 02:30 PM
Enthusiast

So, I finally bit the bullet and ordered a SE console box from Mossy Toyota(from the link in this thread). Good ordering experience overall and their exploded parts diagram helped a lot, but I still had some trepidation in case I ordered the wrong $100 part.

Removing the trim and console cover was simple enough, I unhooked the accessory power and seat heater switches and took the console cover in the house where I removed the 4 screws holding the old box in place. The front two screws are shared with the cup holder and I wound up removing the cup holder totally because it overlaps in one spot.

Next was removal of the accessory power jack... this didn't go so well and I wound up breaking the spring loaded cover. However I did learn that the jack is 2 pieces, the metal power jack itself and an outer plastic sleeve(with spring loaded cover). The metal part needs to be pushed up out of the plastic sleeve, then two plastic protrusions on the sleeve pushed in and that part also pushed up out of the hole in the old box.
I ordered a new sleeve from the dealer(~$10), but it was the wrong one(type next to the aux jack without the spring loaded cover). I used it anyway, but I wouldn't recommend anyone else to, as leaving the cover open causes it to catch on the ratcheting box door and jam it closed.
Installation was straightforward: put the new box in place, replace the cup holder, fasten the 6 screws, snap in the plastic accesory power sleeve, then the metal outlet itself(you could do these 2 steps before placing the box) and reinstall the assembly back in to the car, remembering to connect any power plugs and the wire clip to the bottom fin of the new accessory box.

Now with pics:
SEConsole003.jpg
SEConsole002.jpg
SEConsole001.jpg

Last edited by aka Bitter; 06-08-2008 at 04:49 PM.
Old 06-06-2008, 07:19 PM
Active Enthusiast

any chance of getting a picture of the completed job.

tim

Old 06-08-2008, 06:15 PM
Active Enthusiast

thanks for the pictures, looks great

tim

Old 06-09-2008, 07:41 PM
Active Enthusiast

Any chance you could post an exact part number for the cover? Looks great!

Quick Reply: Center console

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands