Post-Driving Noises

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2010, 08:08 PM
Enthusiast
Default Post-Driving Noises

I have been driving my TCH for about 2 years now, and I have come to expect a wide range of normal noises from time to time. Today, however, I heard something quite different for the first time and am wondering if anyone might know what it is, (since my Toyota Service Dept is closed as of a few hours ago. Plus input from yall is always helpful).

After turning off the TCH, the usualy 'clicking' or such noise coming from the...ABS area, I believe, is expected, but immediately after turning off the car I heard a high-pitched whining noise. Now, visualizing you have just opened the hood and are looking at the engine, it sounded like it was coming from somewhere behind the radiator and down about 6 inches, near the left 'corner' of the engine. ...So, to the right of the ABS unit. The high-pitched whining/hissing/boiling type noise sounded like I should have seen something steaming or leaking, but nothing was seen. I kept a good distance since it sounded as if whatever it is was about to blow apart.

After getting my trusty flashlight I noticed some pink fluid splattered down in the area described, and caked on in small places down further on the engine. It looks like this may have sprayed out from somewhere, who knows how long ago.

The pink fluid - what does that go to? The radiator? .. Any tips or pointers before I go and talk w/Toyota? Thanks much!

Old 07-07-2010, 04:09 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Post-Driving Noises

Originally Posted by talljetman2
I have been driving my TCH for about 2 years now, and I have come to expect a wide range of normal noises from time to time. Today, however, I heard something quite different for the first time and am wondering if anyone might know what it is, (since my Toyota Service Dept is closed as of a few hours ago. Plus input from yall is always helpful).

After turning off the TCH, the usually 'clicking' or such noise coming from the...ABS area, I believe, is expected, but immediately after turning off the car I heard a high-pitched whining noise. Now, visualizing you have just opened the hood and are looking at the engine, it sounded like it was coming from somewhere behind the radiator and down about 6 inches, near the left 'corner' of the engine. ...So, to the right of the ABS unit. The high-pitched whining/hissing/boiling type noise sounded like I should have seen something steaming or leaking, but nothing was seen. I kept a good distance since it sounded as if whatever it is was about to blow apart.

After getting my trusty flashlight I noticed some pink fluid splattered down in the area described, and caked on in small places down further on the engine. It looks like this may have sprayed out from somewhere, who knows how long ago.

The pink fluid - what does that go to? The radiator? .. Any tips or pointers before I go and talk w/Toyota? Thanks much!
I added the underline.

Be sure to keep a eye on your pink fluids. One is the radiator reserve tank. You have a water (coolant) pump with a short belt that can leak. It's located below your AC compressor closer to the engine crank. (nearest the front left wheel) Look on the front of the pulley as some get coated with the pink fluid. Most start leaking at the water pump shaft.

The other radiator system on your car is the inverter system. It converts the DC from the traction battery to AC and steps it up to around 600 volts. It gets hot and so do the generator/motors in the power split device with the Axle drive. They are also cooled by this same coolant. The inverter gets rather hot and required cooling. It has it's own electric pump and small radiator. It has a glass site so you can see it's fluid level which is also pink.

I heard somewhere to never add anything other than the toyota brand of pink coolant.

I'm looking forward to your findings after toyota checks your car out.

Jimmy

Last edited by rburt07; 07-07-2010 at 04:12 AM.
Old 07-07-2010, 04:26 AM
Super Moderator
Default Re: Post-Driving Noises

The water pump needs to be replaced.