FEH noises

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2005, 06:41 PM
Bob
Enthusiast
Default FEH noises

I have a 2005 FEH. Every once and a while, I hear a noise I have never heard in an automobile. It originates from the rear and its a loud wooping noise. It lasts about 2 seconds and can not be isolated to a certain driving event or circumstance.

HAVE ANY OF YOU HAD THIS HAPPEN? If so, do you know what causes it and is this something that warrants a trip to the dealer?

Bob

Old 06-23-2005, 08:05 PM
Prof. of Hybridology
Default Re: FEH noises

I don't know about a whooping noise, but the battery pack has an AC of it's own, which it uses to cool the system off when it gets too warm. It kicks in on it's own, when needed. There's some info about it in the owners manual.

Old 07-28-2005, 05:33 PM
Enthusiast

yea theres a fan or an ac 4 the battery that kicks in when hot, also when u unlock ur car and get into it u will hear a humming noise, its winding up sumthin in the engine so i heard from a ford dealer

Old 07-28-2005, 06:07 PM
Bourbon Enthusiast

I think I know what you are talking about, I hear that same **** noise from time to time as well! Happens out of nowehere, even while just cruising on the fdr at about 45-50. When it first started doing it I would look around as it almost sounds like the faint sound of a cop car or ambulance giving on of those quick chirps like "Hey got out of my way". To me sounds like a faint and moderate toned 'whoooop'.

Old 07-29-2005, 05:52 AM
Struggler at large

Does anyone hear a chirp? Mine chirps a single "chirp!" only when the ICE is running. It doesn't vary with speed or driving conditions. But once it starts, its about every 30-120 seconds between chirps. It sounds like its coming from the rear, but I can never really tell for sure. Anyone else have this?

Old 07-29-2005, 09:00 AM
Active Enthusiast

Besides the A/C in the back there is also a vent door which opens and closes as needed to cool the battery (the vent in the driver's rear window is the intake). When the battery does not need cooling that vent door is closed and it seems to close when you shut off the engine. When you start up the door opens if needed and the fan runs to draw in outside air. Any chirps might be the fan or the brakes pads moving around a bit. If it goes away when you step on the brakes it is probably the fan.

Chris Brown

Old 07-29-2005, 09:06 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I read somewhere (maybe on another board) that there is a whole section of a service manual that deals with noises that come from these cars. Clicks, hums, chirps, etc, mine make a bunch. As long as both of mine make the same noises I figure they must be normal. Besides, with all the diagnostics on these vehicles, I figure if something was wrong, it would tell me.

Old 07-29-2005, 11:33 AM
Bourbon Enthusiast

Oh yeah, I agree it's nothing wrong, but there is w/o a doubt a chirp that many of us are experiencing. Nothing big, but it owuld be nice to actually know what it is causing it.