What's that "whurrrring" sound?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2008, 04:09 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: What's that "whurrrring" sound?

You could have a tire that has a stiff place in the sidewall. I had one like that on a a '94 model Corolla. These were after market tires. It would make that sound and how I found it was after my tires were rotated. It would not do it when on the rear but on the heavy front end, it would. I finally did some testing at 20 to 25 miles per hour speed making slow S's in a large empty parking lot. It would do it with the cars weight on the right front. I aired them all to 37 back then. The less sidewall flexing quietened it down so I just lived with it. It took me a few years of driving to figure it out. It was the tirerack.com/ site that talks about the hard rubber spot in some sidewalls. They say they test the tries they sell for that. Nice, but I never bought from them yet.

You know this is a tire problem you can't see that I know of. Some larger tire stores do have a special machine to test for this problem. Strange, the tires balances ok but did take a extra weigh over the other three tires.

This may be far from your trouble but thought it worth a mention. Yes my generator and motor running make some noise. The noises are a little different. Your noise the way you describe it sounds different. You might take it to a dealer and see if they can figure what it is. Some may know right off.

Good Luck and let us know when you find it.

Last edited by rburt07; 03-14-2008 at 04:14 AM.
Old 09-09-2008, 11:42 AM
Enthusiast

I just got back from a 1750 mile round trip to New Hampshire (approx. 38mpg). I spent a large amount of that time with the audio turned off. On the trip back, I noticed a "whirring" or "droaning" sound between 55 and 65 mph that peaked in volume at 60. Have never heard ot before. I'll probably talk to my dealer about it, but I'm guessing it's the OEM Bridgestones starting to get noisy at 14,000 miles. If I get an answer from the dealer, I'll let you know.

Robb

Old 09-09-2008, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by To D Lake
I just got back from a 1750 mile round trip to New Hampshire (approx. 38mpg). I spent a large amount of that time with the audio turned off. On the trip back, I noticed a "whirring" or "droaning" sound between 55 and 65 miles per hour that peaked in volume at 60. Have never heard ot before. I'll probably talk to my dealer about it, but I'm guessing it's the OEM Bridgestones starting to get noisy at 14,000 miles. If I get an answer from the dealer, I'll let you know.

Robb
Thanks, I think mine are the tires. I just had them rotated and they were good for a few hundred then the noise starts again. Sometimes I can hear it, other times I cannot. I can mostly hear it at slow speeds. But, I just turn up the audio!

Old 09-09-2008, 03:32 PM
Enthusiast

I like the regenerative system best. Mine does it like all the others.

Old 09-10-2008, 06:22 AM
Enthusiast

If it's the regenerative system, then it needs a lube job... This is a new noise that just developed in the last 1000 miles.

Robb

Old 09-23-2008, 11:31 AM
Enthusiast

Well, just got back from my dealer and the service tech suspects a bad wheel bearing. I'm having it relaced mid-next week as that's the next time I'm down there. The sound has gotten louder since my last post and is audible at almost all speeds now. I'll let you know what happens.

Robb

Old 09-28-2008, 07:09 PM
4th Toyota

I had the same noise in the middle of a 1400 mile trip last July. The last half of our trip I started hearing a low noise that seemed to increase in tone the faster I went. It sounded like a body part was rubbing on the rear tire but nothing was visible. The next day it was getting louder even at slower speeds. After taking the TCH to the dealer they replace the left rear hub bearing and all was quiet again. I had owned the vehicle for 2 1/2 months and 3200 miles.

So far no other problems.

Old 09-29-2008, 06:33 AM
Enthusiast

Thanks Dave! I am taking it in this week.

Old 09-29-2008, 11:35 AM

My car is rather quiet unless I drive 65 or 70 when I hear the wind noise off the mirrors. At night with no surrounding traffic, I do hear a low level whining or whirring sound when I apply the brakes to come to a full stop. The sound gets louder below 15 miles per hour like when stopping at a red light.

I'm sure the sound I hear is from the generator speed being varied by my brake peddle pressure. The sound seems to come from under the hood. The generator is located inside the transmission housing which is on the drivers side.

I have also heard a similar whine from the highway. I prove that sound by changing lanes or moving right near the white shoulder line.

I have had bad wheel bearings before which usually make a grinding sound. You can prove that my slowly slightly shifting the weight of the car from one side to the other while driving about 35/40miles per hour. I do this on a smooth road in a area with no traffic.

Years ago I bought a new set of tires for my '94 Corolla. After a few months I noticed a sort of whining sound that really bugged me. It was just loud enough to hear. The sound got louder as I put more mileage on them. I found when I had the tires rotated, front to rear the sound was gone. It had to be a tire. It only occurred when the tire with the problem was in the front right wheel. The weight of the engine would cause this tire to create the sound.

I read on some web site that some tires can have a thick place in the sidewall and cause a whine. The tire will balance ok, but may take a little extra weight. Some of the larger tire shops like maybe Discount Tire may have a machine where they can test a tire for this particular problem.

Last edited by rburt07; 09-29-2008 at 11:51 AM.
Old 09-30-2008, 01:14 AM

Originally Posted by mikieboyblue
Thanks, I think mine are the tires. I just had them rotated and they were good for a few hundred then the noise starts again. Sometimes I can hear it, other times I cannot. I can mostly hear it at slow speeds. But, I just turn up the audio!
I forgot to mention on the stiff sidewall I had on that one tire. Other than rotation, I found I could air the tire up to max. The noise would near go away even when the tire was on the front wheel. These were a mid priced set of Goodyear tires. That tire rode too stiff at 40 psi, so I had to let them at 35.

That '94 Corolla was a excellent car. I had it for 9 years with very little trouble. Not a single engine problem at 189,000 when I sold it. Another reason i'm sticking with toyota. That car saved me lot's of money. I think the the TCH may save me lot's more.

Quick Reply: What's that "whurrrring" sound?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands