HCH I-Specific Discussions Model Years 2003–2005

Bad surging/lunging at slow speeds.

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 09:40 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Bad surging/lunging at slow speeds.

On my 04 the changed the fluid first it worked for a while then it came back within a few thousand miles.At that point they changed the trans.
problem came back after several thousand miles.

On my 08 they have not done anything because cant get it to do it when they have it you have to be driving and it will just start lunging for no reason like I am on and off the gas pedal. there is no code that comes up they wont look.

Both of these cars are doing the same thing 04 and 08

Old 02-24-2009, 10:18 AM
Enthusiast

Honda has a new CVT transmission fluid for the cvt transmission. Do not put regular honda automatic transmission fluid in a CVT. Get the new CVT transmission fluid.

Old 03-11-2009, 06:56 AM
The New Guy

Originally Posted by hweldon
EGR = "Exhaust Gas Recirculation Valve".

Mine was lirching, jumping, skipping and just plain being a bear at low speeds. Especially in parking lots.
I mentioned to the dealer to check out the EGR valve. He did, changed it, and now it runs like a champ. Warranty covered it.
Is the EGR covered under the 105/110/120K service intervals? Or is it something I need to ask the dealer about? My rig is in the shop and while he is doing $2500 in repairs he might as well check that as well.

Old 03-11-2009, 06:42 PM
Active Enthusiast

It's nothing that the dealer would change out under a normal 30/60/90 thousand mile service. It actually has to be bad. It is an emission control device, so it probably would be covered under warranty if it went bad. (at least here in California)

Howard

Old 04-18-2009, 10:30 AM
Enthusiast

I plan on adjusting my valves on my 2003 honda civic hybrid. However, the shop manual doesn't go into much detail. It states to set no 1 cylander at top dead center. Adjust No 1 intake. and proceed to adjust all intake in proper sequence. What it doesn't tell you is if you adust the exaust valves at the same time you do the intake or do you have to do all the intakes first and then start at top dead center again to go through the exahst valves. Please advise as this seems to be a bit different than my previous cars.
Thanks Chuck

Old 04-20-2009, 12:10 PM
Active Enthusiast

I bought my 2003 HCH just over a year ago for dirt cheep because the last owner was told the jerking and lurtching was a bad tranny. Since my buddy owns a tranny shop he help me do it i figured it would be a great deal. after reading these threads on this site i decided to replace the EGR valve before i did the tranny and presto! that did the trick no moer jerking, surging, and lurtching. Now over a year later "knock on wood" still working fine andi put 110 miles every day on my HCH for a daily commute. I HIGHLY RECOMEND replaning your EGR before you do anything. at worst if it does not solve your problem you have a new EGR and not have to worry about it for another 75K miles.

Last edited by The Great Gazoo; 04-20-2009 at 12:13 PM.
Old 05-04-2009, 04:45 PM
Enthusiast

I have an 06 civic hybrid. It was lundging forward when I would start it right after I bought it. I started using the parking break after that. I called dealership and took in a few times. They said it has to do it hooked up to the computer so it can record it to see where the problem is. Well They had it for 4 days and I went in one morning and had the manager in the car with me. It jumped a little but not like it had beforeand of course it wasn't enough to record anything. They suggested that I don't use the parking break so I haven't and it is still doing it. I have no idea what to do and neither does the dealership.
Can anyone help me with this issue???? Please!!!

Old 06-29-2009, 09:01 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I had the lunging at 38k and an EGR valve replacement did the trick. But now at 95k I'm getting a weird judder from a dead stop accelerating to any speed. Do you think this is the tranny? Do I need take it in? I'm close to 100k and would love to have this done under warranty.

Old 06-29-2009, 11:12 AM
Think green.

Jeff, check into Honda Service Bulletins 07-049 and 07-050. Service bulletin 07-049 deals with CVT judder or slippage. It extends the warranty on the start clutch to 7 years/100,000 miles, so have your car checked out if you are near that limit.

I can't find a direct link to the service bulletins, but here's a link to a GX forum discussing the issue, which can occur in hybrids, natural gas models, and the HX with CVT transmissions:

http://www.cngchat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=266

Last edited by Gairwyn; 06-29-2009 at 11:18 AM.
Old 06-29-2009, 12:36 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Gairwyn
Jeff, check into Honda Service Bulletins 07-049 and 07-050. Service bulletin 07-049 deals with CVT judder or slippage. It extends the warranty on the start clutch to 7 years/100,000 miles, so have your car checked out if you are near that limit.

I can't find a direct link to the service bulletins, but here's a link to a GX forum discussing the issue, which can occur in hybrids, natural gas models, and the HX with CVT transmissions:

http://www.cngchat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=266
Thank you, I will check it out. I'm up against the 7yr/100mi mark so it's time for me to go in.

Quick Reply: Bad surging/lunging at slow speeds.

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands