HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Should I turn off my car b4 putting it in Park?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2007, 05:05 AM
Enthusiast
Question Should I turn off my car b4 putting it in Park?

I was just wondering how people feel on this.

When I pull into my garage, the car has already gone into "Auto Stop" I pull my E-brake, still in "Auto Stop" but then if I put it in park, it will of course rev back up. But then I turn it off.

I was wondering if anyone thinks this might cause extra wear on the car and if so, would it be better to turn off the car before putting it in park and thus avoid the rev?

Maybe this is a silly question, but i <3 my Hybrid.

Old 02-13-2007, 05:38 AM
Eco Accelerometrist
Default Re: Should I turn off my car b4 putting it in Park?

Not a silly question at all. This is a very good topic that has actually been discussed before.

It is certainly better (although difficult to quantify how much) to turn off the ignition right after the Auto-stop kicks in.
The sequence that many of us follow goes like this:
-Auto-stop kicks in.
-With foot still on the brake pedal, turn off ignition and engage parking brake.
-Switch transmission lever to Park position and release foot from brake.

By following this sequence we can actually help reduce transmission wear particularly the Parking lock mechanism as well as avoiding the "thunk" noise later on when switching it from park.

Cheers;

MSantos

Old 02-13-2007, 05:52 AM
Active Enthusiast

I have a HAH and IF/WHEN I shut the car off while it is in AutoStop and then place it into park, the next morning when I start the car I get a really loud bang upon startup. This has been discussed in the HAH forum and since seeing the others having the same results as I did, I / we stopped shutting the car down this way.

I have a 02 Prius, which also restarts the engine too. I just ignore the restarts and figure it must be best similar to gracefully shutting down windows software.

Tony

Old 02-13-2007, 09:38 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I normally shift too drive 2 when entering my garage, that way the engine runs untill I turn the key to off.

Old 02-13-2007, 12:46 PM
Enthusiast

I had the same issue when I pull into my driveway.
Here's what I do:
  • Begin slowing to pull into the driveway
  • When it feels like the auto stop in going(8 MPH or below), briefly let off the brake and it cancels auto stop
  • I continue into the driveway (you can now use the brake normally, with no AS), and when I finally stop it is still idleing
  • Into park and off
If you sit in the car when stopped with the brake on and it is idleing for longer than about 10 seconds then auto stop will go.
It took a little getting used to, a little hit and miss at first but now second nature.
You are just fooling the car into thinking you are in stop and go traffic, the car is programmed to do that.

Old 02-13-2007, 04:41 PM
Wo ai Zheng!

My process, and never so much as a twitch

1. Glide into parking stop with AS engaged.
2. Shift to N (this allows the AS to remain active)
3. Pull hand brake
4. Turn off car
5. Shift to P
6. Remove key, making obscene comment about Honda's firmware programmers

Old 02-14-2007, 04:36 AM
Enthusiast

Thanks guys!!!! You are all so helpful! I was getting rather concerned about it being really bad for the engine.

Old 02-14-2007, 06:59 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mmrmnhrm
2. Shift to N (this allows the AS to remain active)
I thought AS didn't occur in N.

I just turn the car off in D and move to P. I never get a CVT pop unless I parked on a hill and forget to set the e-brake.

Old 02-14-2007, 04:00 PM
Enthusiast

Hey guys...the only thing I found wrong with the situation that 'mmrmnhrm' mentioned above is that when you get into the garage keeping AS active, shifting the car from D to N, turning off the key and then putting the car in P, the door locks then do not automatically unlock, as I've programmed them to do normally when shifting into Park. While I can see the benefit of not wanting the engine to rev back up, the door lock situation would be more of a hassle in my case. Just my thoughts...

On a happy note, I just filled my gas tank to begin driving on my 3rd tank since I bought my Silver Navi one month & four days ago. My first tank (from the dealer) was okay, ending at 426.1 miles; my second tank incorporated my learning all about the EV Assist and gliding and everything else, giving me 520.0 miles just as I rolled into the gas station. This far surpassed my little Saturn I just sold which typically only gave me about 300 to 325 miles on a tank.

Old 02-14-2007, 06:16 PM
Wo ai Zheng!

MFH, I'll have to check tomorrow, but unless I'm having a really bad brain fart (possible, I just did a double-red blood donation), my driver's door does automatically unlock. Perhaps it's because after shifting to N and pulling the brake, I only turn the key one notch (the 'ACC' setting in old cars, 'I' I think for us) so the engine turns off, but the radio and such remains on, take my foot off the brake, move to P, and then turn the rest of the stuff off. It's so fluid I don't even notice it.

Quick Reply: Should I turn off my car b4 putting it in Park?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands