HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

shoulda, coulda, wanta,,didn't tonight

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 03:42 PM
Enthusiast
Default shoulda, coulda, wanta,,didn't tonight

I had my name in the frey for a new 08 civic hybrid tonight. Just needed to give my credit card, but I chickened out.

I don't know enough about the Honda hv battery, or the cvt tranny to tell the guy to get one for me.

What is the prognosis for the NiMh batteries in New England. We have our Hundred degree summers on one end, and the sub freezing days on the other. Longevity is an issue of concern for me.

I would be very tempted to grab a Prius, but there is no foreseable openings to get one of those any time soon.

What is the deal on the two areas of concern... I understand that the o3s and the older ones had issues, but those were suppose to be fixed on the 06 models..

Would appreciate any info.. I am still interested in this car. I am due for a new vehicle and I would love to have a hybrid, with Airhorns.. Just can't make up my mind.. How about the Camy hybrid'??

Last edited by badtranny; 05-20-2008 at 04:03 PM.
Old 05-20-2008, 09:00 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: shoulda, coulda, wanta,,didn't tonight

The batteries are made to survive in a huge range of conditions. Extreme heat and cold will make your fuel econ suffer, due to the way your combustion engine runs. Battery life has not posed a big issue, especially with the warranties they have. Depending on which state you are in it is 8 or 10 years, so you don't need to worry too much.

Old 05-21-2008, 03:11 AM
HypoFueler

I dont think you can go wrong with either an HCH2 or a Prius if you are trying to get max FE. Drivers on this site tend to get about 43-50mpg.

The TCH is larger, more powerful and still gets drivers here typically 33-39mpg. It does cost a bit more though.

Last edited by spartybrutus; 05-21-2008 at 03:14 AM.
Old 05-21-2008, 06:36 AM
Eco Accelerometrist

Originally Posted by badtranny
I had my name in the frey for a new 08 civic hybrid tonight. Just needed to give my credit card, but I chickened out.

Yes, it is a leap of faith but you can make it less painful and agonizing by reading up on much of the feedback from other HCH-II owners in the Forum.

Hey, consider the example of the "weirder" GH members (such as myself): ... Who in their never ending fascination with the HCH-II believe it almost perfect... and even those things that don't please some people are regarded as purposeful and quite pleasing.

In terms of reliability, the HCH-II is base-lining exceptionally well, perhaps even better than the Toyota Camry (check the TCH forums as well to get a glimpse of what I mean). So no big fears in this department. In fact, you'll see many folks here who got not one but TWO HCHs. How's that for confidence?

So do yourself a favor and seize one for yourself before the US Dollar devalues more and the car becomes more expensive. BTW gas is not going to get any cheaper in the meantime.

Cheers;

MSantos

Old 05-21-2008, 06:55 AM

<chicken voice> Buck, buck, buck!!! </chicken voice>

Ah, don't worry -- at least not for 8-10 years.

It's a Honda!

nf

P.S. I've got two and love 'em.

Old 05-21-2008, 04:08 PM
Enthusiast
Default What is on the horizon,, Prius upgrade for 09, HCH???

Originally Posted by noflash
<chicken voice> Buck, buck, buck!!! </chicken voice>

Ah, don't worry -- at least not for 8-10 years.

It's a Honda!

nf

P.S. I've got two and love 'em.
Well those tips are cirtainly helpful in softening the fear.. 8 Years seems like yesterday, so I will have to weigh the replacement costs up just to be on the safe side.

Dp

Old 05-22-2008, 07:26 AM
Default Re: What is on the horizon,, Prius upgrade for 09, HCH???

Well those tips are cirtainly helpful in softening the fear.. 8 Years seems like yesterday, so I will have to weigh the replacement costs up just to be on the safe side.

Dp
The battery has a 10 yr warranty in CA, so you can prob count on at least that.

Also, realize that the economies of scope and scale will have increased enourmously for these batteries in 8-10 years. The technology to produce the batteries will likely improve.

It might cost $3k to replace the pack tomorrow, but $1k to replace it in 8-10 years.

Cheers, nf