Winter Radiator Blocker

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2008, 04:56 PM
Insipid Enthusiast
Lightbulb Winter Radiator Blocker

Put my radiator block into place for the season. Worked pretty well last year and wanted to share with you. I rarely use highway, just a few times per tank and car has not overheated on those occasions. I do not have a scan gauge, so cannot tell you what temps occur. You can see what I did at http://www.thespoils.8m.com/photo2_2.html
Let me know what you guys are doing to keep your engine warm.

Last edited by TheSpoils; 12-18-2008 at 08:05 PM.
Old 12-19-2008, 05:51 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Winter Radiator Blocker

Looks good and easy to implement!
Where'd you get the paper?
Does it "rattle" at all?

So, this looks like about a 20-30% block. Sound right? Since it's easy to remove, can you do some testing of warmup times with and without? (Of course, you'll want to start with similar conditions. Maybe two consecutive morning cold starts with similar temps?)

Thanks!
Eph

Old 12-19-2008, 11:16 AM
Insipid Enthusiast

Hey Eph,
The paper is actually a poster for NJ state employment laws my company was throwing out. It works great and did not melt or degrade the entire last season. I have never heard it rattle, although it is possibly occuring. The radiator is pretty big so 20% covered sounds right. I will test and post the results, probably by starting with similar temps and turning on the car and let idle to temp instead of actually driving it. Driving aggressively may heat faster etc...

Old 12-28-2008, 05:48 AM
Insipid Enthusiast

Here are some actual results from the test, with the radiator block in place.
At 38F the blue light goes out in 3m 15s
At 33F the light goes out in 3m 21s
At 19F the light goes out in 3m 55s

I decided to run the test in actual driving conditions (same route and speed limit, 5mph and 45 mph) instead of warm up while idling.

Old 12-28-2008, 06:20 AM
Active Enthusiast

Cool. Can you also do the same test under the same conditions but WITHOUT the grill block? Then we can compare.

Thanks!
Eph

Old 01-02-2009, 04:13 PM
Insipid Enthusiast

UPDATE, Have not been able to test without the radiator block because temps were above 40 most of last week, and now have my second flat tire in a month. Should complete testing within 1 week. Check out another project I was testing HERE > http://thespoils.8m.com/photo2_3.html
I know this is a hybrid forum however I suspect most of us are environmentalists to some extent and/or would like to see some new greener ideas sprouted. Let me know what ya think??

Old 01-03-2009, 05:18 PM
Active Enthusiast

Pretty cool solar system on the cheap!

Old 01-14-2009, 01:24 PM
Insipid Enthusiast

Ok test complete, here are the side by side figures. I could not get an exact match on the temps but they are close enough. Additionally they are surprisingly close, I feel that the radiator block is beneficial in that I get to use EV much quicker even though the blue light goes out about the same as without the blocker. For the past 2 weeks during the test, my display mpg has gone to 38-39.

With the block:
At 38F the blue light goes out in 3m 15s
At 33F the light goes out in 3m 21s
At 19F the light goes out in 3m 55s

Without the block:
39F 3.15 (same)
31F 3.45
22F 4.12

Again, the numbers are close with and without the block, but I find that EV works much more often when I use the block and the MPG display shows evidence that it is beneficial.

Old 01-14-2009, 01:51 PM
Active Enthusiast

Nice job!

OK, 38-39 mpg display at those temps sounds about right. That's what I get at those temps with my radiator block. I wish mine was easy to remove so I could do a side-by-side!

I think the "light out" time is just one of the benefits of the grill block. It also keeps your engine warmer once warmed, so that you can stay in EV longer.

I also notice a BIG difference when I use the car's heater vs. "roughing it". The heater really cools the engine fast at 20F ambient!

Going down to below zero here tonight! :-(

Old 01-14-2009, 05:49 PM
Insipid Enthusiast

I noticed without the block, while coasting in EV, that if i turn on the heat (auto) the engine kicks in, if I then turn the heater off, it goes back into EV. I makes a huge difference. Good luck with your winter, stay warm.

Quick Reply: Winter Radiator Blocker

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands