Journalism & The Media Television, radio, movies, newspapers, magazines, the Internet and more.

Bye-bye tax savings, so long hybrids . . .

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2006, 02:11 PM
Engineering first
Wink Bye-bye tax savings, so long hybrids . . .

Here is another gem:

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/ar...280162,00.html

"Incentives for saving the planet starting to fade
By Vaughan Freeman

WORTHINESS aside, the incentives for motorists to “go green” are fading. Power-shift grants designed to encourage drivers to adopt more environmentally sound cars such as hybrids are no longer available and repair costs are high.

In America, grants of up to $3,150 (£1,700) will disappear altogether next year for Prius buyers as the carmaker has reached its 60,000 sales limit for the federal tax break.

The Prius is the best- selling hybrid car in Britain and America, with a battery- powered electric motor for emissions-free city driving and a small petrol engine. UK sales are greatest around London as, exempt from the congestion zone charge, the car can save drivers some £2,000 a year . . ."

Yeap, without the tax credit, nobody will want one . . .

Remember, the goal is to reach the editor and fact checker.

Editor online.editor@timesonline.co.uk
Editorial Director,

Newsdesk news@timesonline.co.uk
Business business@timesonline.co.uk

THE TIMES Editorial departments

Home News home.news@thetimes.co.uk
World News foreign.news@thetimes.co.uk
Business business@thetimes.co.uk
Comment comment@thetimes.co.uk
Letters* letters@thetim

Bob Wilson

Old 07-26-2006, 10:03 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Bye-bye tax savings, so long hybrids . . .

No doubt with no tax incentives the demand would decrease, but I'm sure there would still be a market.

Old 07-27-2006, 03:46 AM
Hybrid True Believer

Originally Posted by bilbro
No doubt with no tax incentives the demand would decrease, but I'm sure there would still be a market.
If we get some SANE individuals in the House/Senate, I also think the tax credits will be renewed.

Old 07-27-2006, 03:50 AM
Hybrid True Believer

Besides, people still bought hybrids back when they had only a $2,000 deduction (not credit), which amounts to a whopping $600 savings. I've read in the rumor mills that the 2008 Prius will be even more efficient and less expensive. Who needs the freakin' credits?

Old 07-27-2006, 05:00 AM
Engineering first

Buyers of used hybrids, like me, have never seen a tax benefit. We just have to get by with the fuel and insurance savings. When I finish my oil studies, maintenance savings too. Darn, darn, darn, and I'm not even a Libertarian.

Bob Wilson

Old 07-27-2006, 05:42 AM
Active Enthusiast

Hybrids will continue to sell. Just not at the same pace, then again what does a used Prius go for these days? Gas does keep going up as well.
I feel these sales limits are just like levies on Chardonnay. A forceful shift towards domestic product.
We going to see more hybrids on the road, they'll just have different emblems from what we're used to.

Old 07-27-2006, 05:52 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by AshenGrey
If we get some SANE individuals in the House/Senate, I also think the tax credits will be renewed.
This is definitly an oxymoron. Nobody that is in their right mind wants to go to DC.

Old 07-27-2006, 06:04 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Without a doubt, demand will drop as the federal tax credits go away. I don't really know if this will affect the numbers sold since it is totally supply limited at this time., but dealers may even have to start selling the Prius at MSRP.

Old 07-27-2006, 07:49 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Who bought a hybrid JUST because of the tax credit? I know several owners, and none of them did that.

The telling month will be July 2007, when the Federal tax credit expires.

Will be interesting to see what the states do.....ie, will some of them enact tax breaks to "replace" the missing Federal tax break? Or will they assume that if the tax breaks are killed by the feds, then they are thus bad policy?

VVVVERRRRRYYYYYY IINNNNNTTTTEEERRRREESSSTTTIIINNNNNGGGG to see !!!

Old 07-27-2006, 07:50 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

While I was more than happy to take advantage of the tax credits. ;-)

At some point in time Hybrid technology will have to sink or swim on it's own. The market will ultimately dictate the success of hybrid technology.

The tax credits do serve an initial purpose of helping to get the early adaptors on board, but to become mainstream the technology has to compete heads up.

The question I don't have an answer to, is when is the right time to pull the credit?

Quick Reply: Bye-bye tax savings, so long hybrids . . .

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands