Engine Malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2007, 03:15 PM
Enthusiast
Default Engine Malfunction

I am the new owner of a 2007 Honda Accord. After less than 1 tank of gas I noticed the engine had a minor malfunction. The symptom is that after beginning a docile acceleration after slowing down (such a for a tight corner in housing area) the engine looses power and backfires through the intake manifold. It’s not a loud bang, rather a muffled pop. It appears that the fuel air mixture is not proper during slight acceleration as the car does not accelerate at all when asking for a docile acceleration until the accelerator pedal is pushed harder. After that, power comes in with a significant surge. This symptom happens intermittently. The dealership drove the car, where it happened twice, but no “codes” were set. Their solution was to wait for a while to see if it becomes more consistent. Has anyone out there experienced this symptom? If so, what was done about it?

Chuck

Old 05-31-2007, 11:23 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Engine Malfunction

Chuck,

I have the same exact problem. Took it to my local delership, and they subsequently called Honda Engineering. Thier final answer to me was that " this is considered Normal Function at this time." He said he gave them my VIN, but did not give me a case number. I was also told this has been happening for only the 06 & 07 model years, and on cars with as little as 200 miles on them. My car does this every day, and is easily duplicated.

Bill

Old 06-01-2007, 06:30 AM
Enthusiast

Bill:
Thanks. Perhaps if people start calling Honda Customer Service and relating the frustration they would get the message and do something about it. Ron is who I talked to at 800-999-1009 ext 118038.

Chuck
817-602-2915

Old 06-02-2007, 08:07 PM
Enthusiast

Just bought an 07 myself and have the exact same problem also. I have not yet had the dealer look at it, but will as soon as I get a chance.

Old 06-03-2007, 01:31 PM
Enthusiast

I suggest we all call Ron (the customer service advisor listed above) and then call the general customer service number and get your own case number. That way we'll build a complaint database that Honda may take note of and send it to their engineers for resolution.

Chuck

Old 06-06-2007, 07:21 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Keep us posted on your status!

Old 08-16-2007, 08:57 PM
DieHard Hybrid Enthusiast

I also have a problem that I think is similar. I have a 2005 HAH and the "pop" occurs during light acceleration. When the sound occurs, the IMA shuts down rather quickly. Initially, I thought that it was a transmission problem, but the more that I experience it, I think it is the backfire that I hear and feel. I will also contact Ron at Honda and set up a case number. I hope that Honda doesn't think that they will shelve the idea of tracking down and fixing the problem because the HAH is going bye bye after the 2007 model year.

Old 08-17-2007, 03:34 AM
Enthusiast

I've all but given up on Honda with my 2007. I have had it to 3 dealers now for the backfire and while they are able to duplicate it, they all (including the Honda tech line) say it is "normal behavior" for the HAH. They insist that if no error codes are generated, there are no errors; therefore, it "must" be normal. Lame answer.

I also considered Lemon Law for this issue (as I have an '07 now just 3 months old) and went as far as consulting with an attorney. After engaging Honda on this, since no "repair" has been performed, it is not considered eligible. 3 repair attempts must be made before it qualifies in Georgia. So naturally, Honda is going to say its normal and make no repairs which leaves them in the clear.

If I were you, I don't know that I'd have too high an expectation that Honda will come through. Everyone I have worked with at Honda on this just does not care about it. The dealers have been cool, but can't find or fix the root cause of this problem.

Old 08-17-2007, 05:16 AM
G.H. Contributor
Lightbulb Re: Engine Malfunction

Hi All,

I just picked mine up on Tuesday evening 8/14/2007. I have not as yet seen or heard anything strange yet. I have been driving it to work very smoothly and using the Go-Pedal very easy from take-offs and to accelerate to speed.

This makes me wonder if it is only certain Models/Vin's that do that ???
I think mine has like 200 + delivery miles on it.

I may be way off base here but I don't think Honda is going to get their Engineers involved in this situation as the 07 is the Last Year for the HAH. Sad but true.

I hope mine does not start doing this popping thing from starts using very light throttle. If it does I can tell you all I will do the following thing.

I will use more Throttle and just work around this thing. I say this because I really-really like this Hybrid. So I will do with a little less FE/MPG from take-off and (Hopefully) not let this make me end up with an {ATTITUDE} with my HAH I just Purchased like many of you New Owners of the 2007 Model. I hope that does not then just sound like to you that I am saying you have Attitudes. I am saying I do not want to end up with one. I hate things that do not work right.
I am in No-Way downplaying this problem. So don't think that and I hope that Honda does respond to those that are showing this PROBLEM. I'm just saying that I am not going to allow this to get under my skin and if it did I would get (Get-Rid-Of-The-HAH). So that is why I say that if it starts I am going to work around it. This is IMO a really Great Hybrid and I hope I can keep it for a long time.

Good-Luck to everyone !!!!!!!!!!!

Terry

Last edited by tigerhonaker; 08-17-2007 at 05:22 AM.
Old 08-17-2007, 06:44 AM
Enthusiast

It may take some time before the issue starts. I've seen reports that this problem starts anywhere between about 700 miles and 5000 miles. Mine took a while to start this problem (around 2500 miles if I recall correctly).

I hope yours does not do this. I drive mine easy, but have tried easy and driving with attitude and the backfiring occurs both ways. In fact, it is much more noticable under hard acceleration because the engine cuts out during the backfire in the acceleration band. So its like vroooooom.....urp...hiccup..kapow....vroooom.

Quick Reply: Engine Malfunction

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands