2006 Civic Hybrid Problems (already)

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2006, 08:38 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: 2006 Civic Hybrid Problems (already) IMA, battery, and check engine light

The dealership will have to read the codes out. Hope it is not as catastrofic as mine was. They lost the codes the first couple of times they tried to read them out and then when they got it, they did not know what it meant. I have seen a few posts where the batteries have been gone bad already. Let me know what happens.

Old 05-10-2006, 10:52 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 2006 Civic Hybrid Problems (already) IMA, battery, and check engine light

Originally Posted by hchowner
The dealership will have to read the codes out. Hope it is not as catastrofic as mine was. They lost the codes the first couple of times they tried to read them out and then when they got it, they did not know what it meant. I have seen a few posts where the batteries have been gone bad already. Let me know what happens.
got the car back today. the honda dealer run the car through some honda diagnostic system. they said the computer had recorded an error. the error was that the dc to dc converter wasn't communicating properly with the ima system (??). they said it was probably a fluke as the light is now off and everything appears to be running normally. i'll report back if the problem reemerges (hope it doesn't!) thanks for the insight and response.

cheers,
neil

Old 05-17-2006, 05:50 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: 2006 Civic Hybrid Problems (already)

After 2 weeks of waiting for the new battery module, the dealership phoned to tell me I could pick up the car. Started the car and the engine light remained on. Didn't even make it out of the dealership parking lot. They put me back in my 2004 basic Civic and they are now talking about replacing the battery pack again. What a frustrating experience. What about Honda's stellar reputation? It's not what my first Honda experience has been about. I'm anticipating legal action.

Old 05-17-2006, 06:14 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by spencer
After 2 weeks of waiting for the new battery module, the dealership phoned to tell me I could pick up the car. Started the car and the engine light remained on. Didn't even make it out of the dealership parking lot. They put me back in my 2004 basic Civic and they are now talking about replacing the battery pack again. What a frustrating experience. What about Honda's stellar reputation? It's not what my first Honda experience has been about. I'm anticipating legal action.
Unfortunately all of us in 2006 HCH's are in the first year of a new model. Bugs will happen. Just keep in mind the lemon laws and don't be afraid to use them. Ask the dealer to get the district service manager involved and if need be, Honda corporate.

By all means make sure you get some compensation from Honda (a free HondaCare warranty, a month or 2 of payments) if you do not get a new vehicle.

It sounds like an inexperienced dealership in your particular case.

I hope it all works out for the better!

Michael

Old 05-17-2006, 08:06 PM
G.H. Contributor
Lightbulb Re: 2006 Civic Hybrid Problems (already)

Spencer;
This not sound good. I would be of the same Mind Set as you. I can tell you this I have had many-many Hondas over the yrs. and I have (Always) been taken care of.

I have a 2006 HCH II and it is (Perfect) as far as I can tell. I have only got like 2,000 miles on it so far but it is doing just fine.

I would suggest that if you are a good-talker that you call Honda Customer Service (Yourself) and have a talk with them, A.S.A.P.

Good-Luck;

Terry

BTW, Don't just give up yet on Honda.

Old 06-05-2006, 11:54 AM
Enthusiast

A resolution finally! After having my car for 5 weeks, Honda headquarters have agreed to give me a new Civic Hybrid. Hopefully it won't take too long to get to me and I won't face similiar problems.

Old 06-06-2006, 02:35 PM
G.H. Contributor
Talking Re: 2006 Civic Hybrid Problems (already)

A resolution finally! After having my car for 5 weeks, Honda headquarters have agreed to give me a new Civic Hybrid. Hopefully it won't take too long to get to me and I won't face similiar problems.
Hi spencer,

As I said in my Post above. Honda does stand behind their vehicles. So it took some time but finally Honda is taking care of this situation as they should.

Good-Luck and look forward to hearing an update on this matter when you get your New HCH II replaced.

Things are looking up at the (Spencer-Home).

Terry

Old 06-07-2006, 05:15 AM
Energy Independence!

Spencer:

Overall, how long did it take from the first time you reported a problem, to the time to get Honda to agree to give you a new vehicle?

Just curious...

Old 09-26-2008, 12:37 PM
Enthusiast
Exclamation Re: 2006 Civic Hybrid Problems (already)

I own a 2006 HCH, and it just recently had issues with IMA and battery/other components. Mileage was 43,000, and we've always taken really good care of the car. The initial diagnostics took over a week for the dealer to complete. The first estimate of what was wrong was the Battery Control Module and the Motor Control Module, which would have cost over $6,000 to replace (a word of warning to you owners out there - once the car is past the warranty, Honda really doesn't do much to help you out, even if the car is just past the warranty period).

Of course, I had a fit about the cost (and there were other issues regarding the service contract we purchased - Rosen Honda, Gurnee, IL, said it was "bumper-to-bumper" coverage, but when we made a claim on the contract policy, Advantage said there was a specific exclusion to hybrid parts - Rosen still claims to be unaware of the exclusion).

We got a new battery, which was still under warranty, but the problem was still there. Pauly Honda in Libertyville, IL, decided to try and get some special (and apparently difficult to get one's hands on) diagnostic equipment to narrow down the possibilities, instead of throwing parts at the problem (duh).

It turns out, a wire that connects the battery to the control module had become corroded after our car sustained some wind storm damage in March of 2007. Apparently, even though it wasn't raining at the time of the damage, there was a tiny amount of moisture that went into the battery compartment and corroded one wire.

This problem completely confounded the mechanics at Pauly Honda, but I have to say that I appreciate their perseverance in finding out the true problem, even if it meant that I had to go for 11 days without my beloved car . I'm so happy to be able to drive my car again!

I think the mechanics at Pauly were in contact with Honda's Engineers, so hopefully they've documented this particular repair and are planning for a design change in future models. I would think that this may be a problem for others, as well, if even moist air can harm the components of the battery and control modules.

Old 09-29-2008, 10:08 PM
Energy Independence

Thanks, sara7venus, for that post. The more experiences folks add to this forum the better. I remember someone else here had a corrosion issue affecting their IMA system also. Glad you are back in the Hybrid again. I'd read DEEPLY into that extended warranty you bought. Sounds iffy. It's NOT bumper-to-bumber if it has exclusions for significant parts, like all the hybrid components.

Sounds like you got a free new hybrid battery for your troubles, at least!

And welcome to GreenHybrid.