Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Events & Gatherings (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/events-gatherings-16/)
-   -   Phoenix - Valley of the Sun (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/events-gatherings-16/phoenix-valley-sun-5171/)

AZMerf 12-27-2005 06:50 PM

Phoenix - Valley of the Sun

Anybody interested in getting together? There is a car show in the valley every Saturday night. They typically have hot roders and all sorts of stuff at the Pavillions on Indian Bend. We wouldn't have to enter our cars but it might be a good place to meet and give everyone something to do.

Or we could met and/or do something else.

bar10dah 12-27-2005 07:08 PM

Re: Phoenix - Valley of the Sun

I don't really care for the Pavillions, but would meet up there if everyone else wanted to.

AZMerf 12-27-2005 07:38 PM

Nope, that was only one suggestion. Where else would be good? I might depend on where everyone is coming from (Tucson, East Valley, etc). North Phoenix here so just about anywhere in the valley is convenient.

billy6 12-30-2005 12:23 PM

Hi Merf; I live near Seattle, WA. I will be flying into Sky Harbor on Jan 21 on other business. How about let's all get together somewhere for food or dessert on Saturday night, Jan 21? I can get Ricky (moderator @ Insight Central) to bring his new 2006 HCH, and I could drive his Insight. I could also get a couple other Insight owners to show up. Would that work? Billy....

bar10dah 12-30-2005 01:50 PM

Dependent on work, count me in! :)

Rick 12-31-2005 03:43 PM

Count me in. I think I could get several people from Insight Central to come. I meet with the electric auto association at the Pavillions twice a year. We generally get a pretty good response. Arranging charging over there is a pain though.

Here's a thought, if you guys want to meet at say the TGI Fridays located inside Chase Field I can bring my electric car since there is a charging station on the east side of the ball park. That may be a good centralized location to meet, but wherever will work for me.

AZMerf 01-01-2006 07:25 AM

That sounds good to me. I had to think for a minute where is Chase Field ... It's going to take a while to forget referring to it as BOB. What time are you getting into Sky Harbor and what is a good time to meet? I would like to see your electric car since it's sort of the genesis of all this.

AZMerf 01-01-2006 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by Rick
Count me in. I think I could get several people from Insight Central to come. I meet with the electric auto association at the Pavillions twice a year. We generally get a pretty good response. Arranging charging over there is a pain though.

Rick:

When is your next semi-annual meeting at the Pavillions? We love to go (it's a cheap night out) and could make our next trip coinside with your meeting.

Rick 01-01-2006 09:56 AM

We just had one in October (I think) so the next one will probably be in the spring some time. Watch the web site www.phoenixeaa.com we welcome hybrids too.

bar10dah 01-04-2006 08:03 PM

Speaking of BOB, er... Chase Field... any of you ever been to a Diamondbacks game? During the national anthem do you ever pay any attention to the Army, Navy, Marines, and Air Force as they're out on the field with our nation's flag and our respective service's flag? I'm one of the Air Force guys. http://www.speedextreme.com/keith/smileys/patriot.gif

I still remember the opening game for this past season. We were being televised. I told my friends and family back home to watch. Well wouldn't you know it as soon as the national anthem started, they cut to commercial! They came back on as the opening pitch was thrown... :angry:

So anyways, when are we meeting? The 21st? What time? Where?

Rick 01-04-2006 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by bar10dah
So anyways, when are we meeting? The 21st? What time? Where?

I made my suggestion, but I can do anywhere you guys want to.

Speaking of which I almost foregot to request that night off work.

bar10dah 01-05-2006 09:56 AM

<<going back to read Rick's suggestion>>

I wouldn't mind doing Chase Field. Anywhere is fine for me, as well. Just as long as I don't have to work that night. I'm on-call this whole month.

Out of curiosity, when and how much are you selling your Insight for?

And, what color is your HCH? I saw my first HCHII yesterday. It was parked at the Enlisted club on Luke AFB. It was dark gray. When I went back to drop off a GH flyer on it's windshield, it was already gone!! I'll keep an eye out for it.

Rick 01-05-2006 10:59 AM

I haven't really decided on how much the Insight will be for sale for yet, but I'm thinking whatever KBB private party value is and I'm going to be firm on it for several reasons. One the car is in extremely good shape. The only little things are there are two small little door dings in the drivers side rear quarter panel (could be tapped out) and there's a fair amount of rock chips in the front of the car, which is very typical for Insights. I have a full custom leather interior in the car as well (seriously full leather, no vinyl at all), which I know I'll never get my money back out of. And on top of that it's getting a brand new IMA battery here whenever Honda gets it delivered. On top of that I have meticulous service records and the car is very very clean.

The Civic is alabaster silver, though it's actually being sold to a relative as soon as my opal blue one comes in. In the mean time I'm just breaking it in for him ;) .

I have at least one other person from Insight Central who said he'd come, and I only sent out a bunch of PM's last night late so I am hoping to get other replies.

AZMerf 01-05-2006 11:35 AM

Saturday at Chase fields sounds good to me. Someone just needs to pick a time (wasn't Brian flying in and trying to make it?). I don't work that day so just about any time should be good. I would think it would be good to meet when it's light out still.

Rick, did you get your temp silver with a nav system?

bar10dah 01-05-2006 11:46 AM

Have you checked to see if there's anything happening downtown that night? Would suck if the area was packed and we had a hard time finding parking and locating each other.

Rick 01-05-2006 04:57 PM

Silver Civic does not have navi.

There is nothing scheduled for Chase Field that night, but I'll also check America West.

bar10dah 01-05-2006 06:37 PM

Coolness. So far, five of us are in. My wife may also come.

AZMerf
bar10dah
billy6
Rick
azwildbill2
AZReporterSeeksEnthusiasts

Where are the rest of you AZ guys/gals?? Are ya in? Even you folks that live within a relatively close radius of Phoenix. Come on out! I can even put up a pilot or two for the night if you want to come into town.

azwildbill2 01-05-2006 08:22 PM

I will be there also. Question - where are we going to park at Chase field? :)

Rick 01-05-2006 10:44 PM

I've got a probably and a maybe at Insight Central.
http://www.insightcentral.net/forum/...pic.php?t=4114

I'm meeting with the electric auto association this Saturday and half of them have hybrids too so I'll mention the meet and might be able to get a few other people to come.

Parking, I guess there are near by parking garages. If you guys want to go somewhere else that was just my suggestion if anyone wants to see my electric car because there is a charging station there. I can drive the hybrid anywhere of course.

bar10dah 01-08-2006 04:59 PM

Anyone familiar with Thomas "Shanty" Hogan? We did his flag folding ceremony yesterday.

AZMerf 01-08-2006 05:09 PM

Anyone familiar with Thomas "Shanty" Hogan? We did his flag folding ceremony yesterday.

Is that a hybrid thing? I am not sure what this means.

bar10dah 01-08-2006 06:38 PM

No.

Shanty Hogan was a guy that lived around here. I think he went to college at U of A. He was a football player for the school. Then he joined the Army Air Corps to be a navigator for a B-52 during the war. Afterwards, he came back here. If I remember correctly, he made a career out of being the coach for Phoenix College? I don't know his full story. In fact, I never heard of him until this weekend. But, I suppose a lot of people around here knew who he was. Nearly 3,000 people attended his funeral.

I'm a member of the Honor Guard at Luke AFB. Since he's a veteran, we did his flag folding ceremony and played taps at his funeral.

I was only asking if anyone knew him because this is a thread for us Phoenician hybrid drivers.

AZReporterSeeksEnthusiast 01-13-2006 10:03 AM

Hey guys: my name is John Dickerson. I've emailed some of you about a lifestyle story i'm writing about hybrids and their drivers. If you don't mind, I'd love to meet up with all of you on the 21st (once time and location are nailed down). In the mean time, I'd really enjoy chatting with some of you about you hybrids. I'm looking to interview a lot of hybrid drivers, but I'd especially like to find an Insight driver and also a family man who drives an Accord or larger hyrbrid. I'd also love to hear stories about comparing your MPG to friends' Tahoes, other gas guzzlers. Thanks for letting me butt in. JOhn Dickerson (www.scottsdaletimes.com) 480.348.0343. John@Scottsdaletimes.com

bar10dah 01-13-2006 11:13 AM

We'd love to have you along! :)

Rick 01-14-2006 09:53 AM

Hey Guys, the Harlem Globetrotters are playing at America West Arena on the 21st. I'm not sure how big of a crowd this is going to draw, but it's right next door to the ballpark.

I guess we need a roll call here, it's only a week away already.

bar10dah 01-14-2006 10:25 AM

See Post #17 for list of attendees. :)

Should we change the meeting location?

AZMerf 01-15-2006 06:32 PM

I was wondering if we would have an issue like that. If we don't want to meet at the Pavillions, how about another mall parking lot like Scottsdale 101 or Desert Ridge? It will preclude the electric vehicles (do they always have to be plugged in for the ride home?) but the reporter wants to see an Insight anyway.

John, I'll give you a call this week and hopefully we'll see you on Saturday.

Rick 01-15-2006 07:27 PM

I honestly don't think we're going to be able to get anywhere near the Pavillions this weekend. The reason is because the Barret Jackson car auction is going on and it always makes the Pavillions a huge crowd. I'm willing to go there, but finding somewhere we can all park together won't be easy (or necessarily anywhere near the location).

Desert Ridge works, but I was thinking a more centralized location might be better for everyone. No the EV doesn't have to be plugged in, but I'm limited on range. If our reporter wants to see an Insight I can bring my IMA-less wounder that's still awaiting a new battery pack.

AZMerf 01-16-2006 11:48 AM

OK, the Pavillions is out and so is Desert Ridge. That whole area by the Civic Plaza is mess. How about Fashion Square in Scottsdale (althought there is a lot of parking and it might be difficult to ensure everyone knows where to go)? There is the strip mall on Camelback and 24th Street (with the Best Buy). There is Arizona Mills and the Fry's on Baseline. Anybody think of any place else?

Do we want to move it to another weekend when there is less going on in and around the Ball Park?

billy6 01-16-2006 02:46 PM

OK....I think I've got it. I made many phone calls, and have found out that Applebees at Camelback & Cental has quite a large parking lot. The manager said it's actually 2 lots. Lets meet there at 4:00 pm sharp on Saturday, Jan 21. I am flying in from Seattle and would enjoy meeting lots of you. I can reserve a table for 25 or so? for 4:45 pm, so we can have salad or desert or even a meal. Bill..........

bar10dah 01-16-2006 03:51 PM

Table for 25? I think so far, between this forum and the Insight forum, we have 7 people committed. Anyone else going that hasn't spoken up yet?

I'm working as a judge for a JROTC event that day. I think we should be done by 3pm. I may be late, but I'll be there!

Rick 01-16-2006 06:47 PM

I'm thinking maybe 15 max. I had a few yes's from insight central, I also got us posted on the Phoenix EAA's web site and an email sent out to all members so we might be a few from that.

At this point, I think we should just roll with whatever because we'll end up throwing ideas out there until saturday morning when no one knows what's going on. I can't guarantee I'll be there right on time, but I'll do my best.

AZMerf 01-17-2006 07:12 AM

I think Applebees is a good choice at 4pm on Saturday the 21st. Count me in!

bar10dah 01-17-2006 07:30 AM

http://www.speedextreme.com/keith/smileys/letseat.gif

billy6 01-18-2006 06:04 PM

Update: Several Insights will be showing up at Applebees parking lot (Central & Camelback) at 4pm. (Insightcentral.net) Any more high FE enthusiasts out there in the Phoenix area?? It will be great to meet everyone! Bill......

AZMerf 01-19-2006 01:19 PM

I think a quick bite after sounds good.

Rick 01-19-2006 02:59 PM

Mmmmmm, boneless honey barbeque chicken wings.

bar10dah 01-20-2006 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by billy6
Update: Several Insights will be showing up at Applebees parking lot (Central & Camelback) at 4pm. (Insightcentral.net) Any more high FE enthusiasts out there in the Phoenix area?? It will be great to meet everyone! Bill......

This Applebees?

UPTOWN PLAZA
2 East Camelback
Phoenix, AZ 85012
http://www.applebees.com/storelocato...dottedLine.gif
Phone: 602.266.3330
Fax:

I'll be coming from a JROTC event so I may be late, but I'll be there! http://www.speedextreme.com/keith/smileys/letseat.gif

AZMerf 01-21-2006 09:57 AM

This Applebees?

UPTOWN PLAZA
2 East Camelback
Phoenix, AZ 85012
Phone: 602.266.3330
Fax:

I'll be coming from a JROTC event so I may be late, but I'll be there! http://www.speedextreme.com/keith/smileys/letseat.gif

I am pretty sure that's the one I am thinking of. I don't know the address but it's just east of Central on the north side of Camelback. There is a Sweet Tomoatoes just east of that in the same parking lot. See you all there.

AZMerf 01-22-2006 08:53 AM

What a great time we had last night. There was a connection made with InsightCentral so we had a nice gathering. We met at about 4pm on Saturday, January 21st in a parking lot at Camelback and Central. We spent about an hour and a half meeting each other, talking, and taking test drives. We were even treated to a live demostration of biodesiel. In total, we had just under 20 people of all types and models. It was a very diverse group of people.

John from the Scottsdale Times was there taking notes and talking to everyone. Bar10dah even allowed him to take a test drive of his Accord. I told John to emphasize the lack of a plug and the green nature of the purchase over the tired discussion of ROI in his article.

After, we all had dinner at Applebee's and spent another 2 hours talking about various things including several non-hybrid topics. Applebee's was a great host and even treated us to some complimentary appetizers.

I took a couple of pictures of the parking lot that I uploaded to the gallery. If anybody else took picture, let me know and I can upload them too. Thanks to everyone (thanks Billy6 for organizing the dinner) for a great time. Hopefully, some good friends have been made and that we can do this again sometime in 2006.