Filling Up - Do You Top Off?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2007, 11:51 PM
Enthusiast
Default Filling Up - Do You Top Off?

I've filled up 4 times and was able to put in an additional .5 gallon each time. When calculating my MPG, it is much lower than what is says on the Energy Consumption screen (by 3 or more MPG).

Do you top off when you fill up? Does it make a difference in accurately calculating MPG?

Old 01-18-2007, 09:19 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Filling Up - Do You Top Off?

Topping off is an environmental no-no. I had no idea until I did the research myself.

Here's a Trivia Fact of the Day for you:

The Honda Civic GX (natural gas engine) can drive from Washington DC to Los Angeles and it will pollute less driving all those miles than the pollution created by spilling 1 teaspoon of gasoline on the ground.

True Fact.

Old 01-18-2007, 10:23 AM
Banned

holey mackerel!! are you serious?

Old 01-18-2007, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by Marmaduke
holey mackerel!! are you serious?
I am absolutely serious. Here is a page which references the clean aspects of the Civic GX:

http://www.metafilter.com/mefi/42884

Look about 1/4 down or search for teaspoon in the text. I read that a coupld of years ago on another Civic GX site and that has stuck with me.

Old 01-18-2007, 10:44 AM
Banned

That is truely amazing. I am sure it will stick with me too and get worked into conversations with others when I am campaigning for green driving.

edit, I just read that link and I see the the statement they make is:

If driven from California to Washington, DC, the Honda Civic GX natural-gas vehicle would emit fewer reactive hydrocarbons than that released by spilling a single teaspoon of gasoline.
are you sure that reactive hydrocarbons are equivalent to total polution?

Last edited by Marmaduke; 01-18-2007 at 10:49 AM.
Old 01-18-2007, 11:07 AM
Active Enthusiast

THAT was an amazing little tidbit! I've gotta read that link!

Old 01-18-2007, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by Marmaduke
That is truely amazing. I am sure it will stick with me too and get worked into conversations with others when I am campaigning for green driving. edit, I just read that link and I see the the statement they make is: are you sure that reactive hydrocarbons are equivalent to total polution?
Actually, no I'm not 100% sure about that. The original page I saw two years ago or so said "pollute less" but I cannot locate that page. I will look for it again.

Old 01-18-2007, 11:48 AM

From a Honda page:
Driven from California to Washington, DC, the Civic GX emits fewer smog-producing hydrocarbons than what would be released by spilling a single teaspoon of gasoline.
So it looks like the "pollution" referred to in my statement is the "smog-forming pollution" component, which I suppose is the hydrocarbons.
The page:
http://164.109.30.201/info/news/arti...=2001051738720

Old 01-18-2007, 12:12 PM
Engineering first

Originally Posted by silver surfer
I've filled up 4 times and was able to put in an additional .5 gallon each time. When calculating my MPG, it is much lower than what is says on the Energy Consumption screen (by 3 or more MPG).

Do you top off when you fill up? Does it make a difference in accurately calculating MPG?
I put the pump on the slowest fill rate and when it clicks, I do one more 'click.' I want to avoid filling so much that the carbon cannister gets flooded.

Bob Wilson

Old 01-18-2007, 12:39 PM
World's First Hybrid

Originally Posted by bwilson4web
I put the pump on the slowest fill rate and when it clicks, I do one more 'click.' I want to avoid filling so much that the carbon cannister gets flooded.

Bob Wilson
Ditto...

Quick Reply: Filling Up - Do You Top Off?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands