Left car running

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2007, 05:10 PM
Pams_Red_Prius
Default Left car running

I stopped by Walmart on my way home yesterday, and ran in for just a few minutes. Turns out I was in there a good 30 minutes. When I got back to my car, I got in and it was still running. Not sure how I forgot to turn it off. I did put it in park but never hit the power button, and of course I didnt hear it running. So here's my question (other than how can I be such an air head??) Why was the car still running when the key was not in the ignition nor was it near the car. It was in my pocket and went shopping with me.
Thanks

Old 06-13-2007, 08:00 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Left car running

Originally Posted by Pams_Red_Prius
I stopped by Walmart on my way home yesterday, and ran in for just a few minutes. Turns out I was in there a good 30 minutes. When I got back to my car, I got in and it was still running. Not sure how I forgot to turn it off. I did put it in park but never hit the power button, and of course I didnt hear it running. So here's my question (other than how can I be such an air head??) Why was the car still running when the key was not in the ignition nor was it near the car. It was in my pocket and went shopping with me. Thanks
That is an issue with the Toyota "smart key/FOB" system used on their hybrids.

As to WHY: The car was still running because the Power button was not pushed.

As to WHY IT DOES NOT TURN ITSELF OFF when the FOB is out of range: Good question for Toyota engineering.

Old 06-13-2007, 05:40 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Left car running

Originally Posted by lars-ss
That is an issue with the Toyota "smart key/FOB" system used on their hybrids.

As to WHY: The car was still running because the Power button was not pushed.

As to WHY IT DOES NOT TURN ITSELF OFF when the FOB is out of range: Good question for Toyota engineering.
As to why the car doesn't turn itself off when the FOB is out of range: Imagine being on the Interstate or out in the boondocks (a la the movie "Deliverance") and the FOB battery finally dies. The car sees FOB "out of range" -- (KEY IS NOT DETECTED), and the car system stops. Not good.

I will say that a few times I have gotten out of my Camry Hybrid (TCH) and forgotten to hit the POWER button. Luckily, when I get out of the car with it still in "READY", it gives three beeps along with the red flashing triangle with exclamation point ( ! ) flashing (letting me know I did SOMETHING wrong) and I cannot lock the car with the outside door handle button.

I do wish that it would have a voice warning (heard inside and outside the car) "Hey, dummy, how about turning the engine off?" (or even a 30 second display on the large MFD) letting you know what the problem was.