Car wash left me motionless!

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 07:57 PM
Enthusiast
Default Car wash left me motionless!

So I went through a touch-free car wash today that I have used about 5 times before in my TCH. Everything seemed fine as I was coming out at the end going through the dryer. The driveway at the end of the wash goes downhill right to the main road so (still in EV mode) I just coasted all the way out onto the road.

After turning onto the road I pressed down on the accelerator only to find out I was not accelerating at all. There was no warning or abnormal indication on the MFD. After a few seconds of panic I pressed the power button and the car turned off. I moved the gear shift to Park and started the car back up normally and drove off right as traffic was closing in from behind.

Why did this happen? Was it likely from the car wash? Why was there no indication of a fault?

EDIT: OMG I feel so dumb. I just now realized what I did. I was still in Neutral. DUH!
Mod, you can delete this.

Last edited by Mystifier; 05-06-2008 at 08:07 PM. Reason: Realized I was dumb
Old 05-07-2008, 02:06 AM
Engineering first
Thumbs up Re: Car wash left me motionless!

Dave,

Welcome to the human race. If you really want it deleted, please hit the "!" triangle and your friendly moderators will make the posting and this thread 'go away.' The red "!" triangle is the best way to get our attention and it is perfectly OK to report your own postings.

It is your call but stuff happens. I think you've pointed out that in "N", the ordinary car response, a racing engine, doesn't happen. So you can easily miss the "N" cause. It is unique to our hybrids and I admire and respect those who offer 'lessons learned.' Still, your call.

Thanks,
Bob Wilson

Old 05-07-2008, 06:12 AM
Contributor ($)
Default Re: Car wash left me motionless!

I say ;eave this up. Not to embarrass the original poster, but to share with others the possibility of doing the same thing. I'm certain the poster is not the first to do this, and will not be the last. Better that we acknowledge this possibility, than pretend it never happened.

Old 05-07-2008, 06:49 AM
Active Enthusiast

I agree with leaving this up. Although I have never had this happen, I can certainly see how it could very easily. I know I would be able to manage to do it. I think it is a good check point for hybrid drivers to ensure they are in the proper gear.

Old 05-07-2008, 07:38 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I left my car on and went into a friends house.
These cars keep you on your toes!

Old 05-07-2008, 08:00 AM
Driving in stealth mode

I think it should be left up. I just learned something from it. I didn't know that if in neutral tha hitting the gas wouldn't race the engine.

Old 05-07-2008, 08:42 AM

A question that comes to me is: Why did you put the car in Neutral rather than Park? Was it one of those washes that pulls the car along (which really always give me the hee-bee jee-bees)?

Old 05-07-2008, 05:52 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rmorrow
A question that comes to me is: Why did you put the car in Neutral rather than Park? Was it one of those washes that pulls the car along (which really always give me the hee-bee jee-bees)?
Yes, it was one of those washes that pulls you along in neutral.

Ok I guess we'll leave the post up.

Old 05-08-2008, 11:29 AM

Somewhat related - I drove a manual before this car, and I find that I tend to play with the shifter when I'm sitting at a light. I put it in neutral without realizing it and had a minor scare when the light changed and nothing happened when I put my foot down. I've got to learn to stop doing that!