maintenance required

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2007, 11:06 AM
Enthusiast
Default maintenance required

At 5000 miles the maint. req. light came on. I've heard that this had happened on other Prius cars. Any experience?

Old 01-23-2007, 11:08 AM
Engineering first
Default Re: maintenance required

The NHW20 Prius has a reminder feature for getting the oil changed. It sounds like you've hit that mark.

I don't have the instructions handy but if you search the web and messages, I think you'll find how to turn it off.

Bob Wilson

Old 01-23-2007, 01:52 PM
Dazed and Confused

If it is like the TCH, you set the trip screen to trip a, then turn the car off. Then while holding down the reset button, you turn the car back on. It will reset the maintenance interval, but also resets the trip A.

And it indicates when you need oil changes. It starts indicating "maintenance required soon" at about 4500 miles.

Old 01-23-2007, 02:42 PM
Engineering first

Is this found in the owner's manual?

Bob Wilson

Old 01-23-2007, 03:36 PM
Banned

Is this something the dealer should do after an oil change?

Old 01-23-2007, 05:05 PM
Engineering first

Originally Posted by bparsons
Is this something the dealer should do after an oil change?
Yes. Of course all bets are off for the quickie lube places.

Bob Wilson

Old 01-23-2007, 07:12 PM
Eco Accelerometrist

hummm... Not that I am close to that figure, but isn't 4500 miles too low a figure to trigger the reminder? I confess I did not research this prior to buying my 2007, but I expected a much higher mileage between oil changes.
Oh, well...

On a second thought, does the Prius actually evaluate operating conditions as inputs to the "maintenance warning" notice?

Cheers;

MSantos

Last edited by msantos; 01-23-2007 at 07:15 PM. Reason: ommission
Old 01-23-2007, 08:21 PM
Dazed and Confused

Keep in mind this is for the TCH, but the mileage minder is only a mileage based indicator, and not an engine load based indicator such as is found in some GM vehicles.

I don't think the reset procedure is in the manual, nor is the mileage the maintenance minders are triggered. I am at approximatly 4,000 miles on my current oil change, and should trip the first level of the maintenance minder this weekend or early next week. I will keep an eye on it.

Since I am running full synthetic, I would like my oil change intervals to be 7500 to 10,000 miles, but unitl I hit 36,000 miles I will do as Toyota recomends. On less thing to fight about if there is a warranty issue.

Old 01-24-2007, 01:32 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by bwilson4web
Yes. Of course all bets are off for the quickie lube places.

Bob Wilson
Thanks

Old 01-24-2007, 06:09 AM
Active Enthusiast

Reminder lamp comes on when you first start the car between 4,500 and 5,000 miles. After 5,000 miles it stays on constantly. To reset make sure your odometer is on total miles, NOT trip A or trip B, turn off car, hold down odometer button, start car in ready mode (brake depressed, press start button), the odometer reading will show a series of dashes, when all 5 dashes are gone release button and it's reset.

Wayne

Quick Reply: maintenance required

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands