Brand new Insight!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2005, 11:20 AM
Enthusiast
Default Brand new Insight!!!

Hi all; it finally arrived in Seattle, WA from Japan. Yesterday I got my 2005 red 5 speed, WITHOUT a/c !! (it saves 38 pounds) This is the 3rd Insight I have purchased new, the other 2 had a/c. At the dealer, the FIRST thing I did was inspect the car carefully. I verified it had all the VIN's in the right places, and they matched. I checked the miles (5). I looked for ANY scratch or damage; it was perfect. I verified the rubber strakes under the front bumper were stuck on properly. Then I sat with my salesperson and bought the car. Then the F&I office, to pay for the car, and reject the extended warranty ($2,750 is too high; I will buy one on-line).
When finished in the F&I office, I politely asked the service dept if I could use their air hose. With my own gauge, I inflated all 4 tires from 34 lbs, up to 51, in preparation for my immediate 255 mile drive home. Boy, is this car beautiful; bright red with beige interior.
Driving home, the outside air temp averaged 70 degrees, so I knew I could get decent mpg. I managed 94.2 mpg over 255 miles; not too bad on an engine not yet broken in. I drove between 50 and 68 MPH, depending on the slope and grade. (I-90 over the cascade mtns) I received several looks and thumbs up from other drivers.
I plan to use this car ONLY on highway trips, and also I will display it @ weekend car shows all spring and summer. My modifications are already underway: remove both outside mirrors, replace with video camera system. Tinted glass. Remove rear wiper. Remove from hood "H" emblem for that CLEAN look, also NO front licence plate. Install high-end SONY head unit, with 4 excellent speakers and amplifier. Remove emblems from rear glass panel. And finally, have a black graphic design hand painted, then have the entire car painted over with an expensive urethane clear coat system, then wet sanded up to 3000 grit, then buffed with 2 grades of compound to the highest shine.
I hope to maintain an LMPG of 85-90, and keep the car meticulously clean, underbody and all (concours de' elegance) and have already been invited to give some forum presentations at 3 energy expo fairs, speaking about maximizing fuel economy. Should be lots of fun! Billy.......

Old 03-09-2005, 11:44 AM
Contributor ($)

94.2 right off the showroom floor! That has to be some kind of record. You also achieved the record for the quickest changeover to higher tire pressure. Way to go!

I look forward to seeing those, "extra shiny" Insight photos. You have given me some food for thought about other mpg modifications as well.

What's your thoughts on the "warm air mod" for Insights?

Old 03-09-2005, 11:48 AM
Site Founder

Billy,
You sure sound like a hypermiler! You've got the statistical/analytical brain and the passion to do great things with your new car. Enjoy it! I look foward to hearing what you can do.

Old 03-09-2005, 12:02 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Hypermiler

Hi Billy!

Congrats on the new car. I wanted an insight, but my wife wanted a family car.

I am curious -- what happened to the other two ?

Old 03-09-2005, 04:36 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks........the warm air mods are the way to go for sure. For many years I have dealt with aircraft cowlings, baffling, downdraft cooling, etc. The tightness of a cowl is critical........I believe the Insight has much untapped mpg potential, if the engine bay is somehow closed up a bit. Sculptured foam to close part of the front air intake (below the bumper) would sure help. And a tighter bottom engine cover would be nice. The idea would be to substantially close & insulate the engine compartment; more in colder weather, and a bit less in warm weather. A side benefit would be aerodynamics. Did you see the Nascar Nextel Cup qualifying at Daytona last month? The cars had a TINY opening in the front, that's all.
I admit I'm an Insight nut. My 2002 (silver) now belongs to a buddy of mine. I sold it after putting 62,000 highway miles on it in 1 year. I also sold my 2003 to a friend, who saw how clean I kept it for car shows. It had an LMPG of 85.7 over 31,000 miles. This is my first red one. I keep buying new ones, for fear they may be discontinued. There is one more 2005 red 5-spd with air, in my area that just arrived brand new from the factory. Let me know if anyone is interested in buying it. Later, Billy.....

Old 03-10-2005, 11:39 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Hi Billy6:

___Excellent news indeed! I can’t wait to here what your lmpg will be after a few thousand miles of break in. Can you say 95 - 97 lmpg!

___By the way, I will be driving to Kissimmee on Thursday/Friday of next week and plan to be in Sebring on Saturday morning. I have your Cel but I want to make sure you will be there. On the way back I am thinking about hooking up with Hot_Georgia_2004 or Stevo in Georgia for a late lunch get together if they are available?

___Enjoy the new ride as I am sure the way you take care of it, it will be a beaut for at least 10 -15 years to come

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___Waynegerdes@earthlink.net