First Drive in 2005 Insight

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2005, 06:03 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default First Drive in 2005 Insight

This past Thursday, Goodson Honda North in Houston called to inform me that they received the '05 silver 5-speed that I held with a deposit.

So, took the day off Friday and drove to Houston from Baton Rouge to go pick up the new Insight. Drove my '98 Dakota to do the trade-in thing. Got 19.8 mpg with the truck on the trip over.

Got the car after doing all the paperwork and drove it around Houston during Friday night traffic, and then Saturday to go to the rodeo parade downtown. Was still getting used to the car, but managed 59 mpg around town.

Midday Saturday we took off to come back home, traveling the 610 loop and then I-10 into Baton Rouge. This is where is got fun.

What a blast to drive!
I have read most of posts from this site and InsightCentral, so I was wanting to see, hear and feel what it was like on a long road trip. Yes, it's a small compact car, you feel all the road imperfections. The sound system isn't great, but it works fine for me (after years of being around jet engines, my ears aren't the same). Wish the CD player would handle WMA's. It was still plenty comfortable, stopped for a meal in Lafayette. Good to stretch out the legs.

Once up to speed on the interstate, it was easy to see the FCD show the lean burn, and see/feel the purge cycle. At first, the most mpg I could get while staying anywhere close to the speed limit was about 61 mpg.
Then a tandem trailer 18 wheeler came up slowly behind me, cruising slightly faster then me. When he passed me, I picked up the pace to match his speed, but stayed about 3-4 car lengths behind (could still see his side mirrors). By this time, the mpg's went to 70-75 with a speed of 63-65 mph.
We stayed together for the majority of the trip.

I was very impressed with this first drive in the car, it's mpg capabilities. I'm even more impressed with some of the other hyper-milers I read about, I now know what it takes to get these big MPG numbers (80-90-100).

Have to wait and see how she does on the daily 30 mile commute to work, mainly backroads.

Things to do:

Order floor mats
install the stainless steel dead pedal plate
Pump up tires to 45 psig (dealer set them according to sticker inside the door)
go buy all the 0-20 mobil 1 that I can find

Really considering the Husco armrest, that would add to the comfort level.

I'm new to the hybrid driving experience, but I think I'm gonna like it!
Thanks to everyone for the driving tips and sharing your ideas.

Don

Attached Thumbnails First Drive in 2005 Insight-insight.jpg  
Old 02-26-2005, 09:20 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Hi Don:

___Welcome to Greenhybrid! It is indeed a pleasure to have another Insighter to post with as we are far and few between around these parts.

___In regards to the accessories, the rear cargo mat cuts down road noise better then anything else you might consider installing. The underlayment for the Jim Holmgren Dead Pedal is an absolute must have given how cool it looks when installed. I have a Red/Black theme that adds a nice touch of class to the gray interior. Do get those driver/passenger mats down as the regular covering will wear quickly unless protected. I have seen pics of Insight’s with as little as 20K miles where someone’s right foot has worn right through the floor covering! The Husco arm rest? I will give you a week and you will find that it is the one must have item that Honda should have included with our little beauties. The Gray Husco was a great color match for the 00 - 03’s with the black/gray interior and hopefully they have a beige match for your 05. It really adds a lot of comfort for the longer drives but its cup holder capabilities are a bit on the slim side …

___Great job inside of your first tank … As soon as you hit 5K miles, dump the Moly loaded junk and get that 0W-20 in there. 45 #’s? I ran 60 cold on the attempt and normally run 53 - 55 #’s now. The rest of my normal stable runs 50 + including the Ranger and Corolla whereas the MDX is running just 36.5 - 40#’s. Most Insighter’s run 50 + given the extra FE it helps achieve. Hmmmm, what else. Slow down and enjoy the ride. Read, read, and read some more. There are a ton of tips and tricks so take your time with the details and practice. You are already pushing Hypermiler stats in a brand new Insight so it shouldn’t be long for another member to be recognized. You will find out what that means soon enough When I do take her out, I drive without shoes as the pedal feel in that condition is a lot better then with. Not every time of course but any of my longer drives is a must for me … Have you ever heard of the Insight warm air mods? Even in temps as high as 60 degrees F, the 2 warm air mods can really help out on the highway. You have to be very careful with the radiator block around town in temps above 32 degrees F but out on the highway, you are good for upwards of 70 degrees if you are really really easy on the accelerator in lean-burn. Make sure you learn about “Driving with Load”. Drafts will get you into low to high 90’s with a slow mover and a very tight straight draft but the 100 - 110’s come from slower speeds then most usually drive while using the “Driving with Load” technique. The 110 + runs are usually wind aided and when they arrive, enjoy them to there fullest! A safety tip … when really pushing the FE envelope, place your right front on the white line in the far right lane. It will give a small warning to those behind and it will smooth out your ride a bit as you are actually running the right tires to the right of where most cars and trucks normally track and the left’s are riding on the centerline where no tires ever run except when changing lanes. The pavement really is smoother in that position. Or just throw all of this out the window while driving like most do and you can still achieve hypermiler status! Oh, and don’t forget to build buffers in traffic and around town. This is very important in traffic jams and can save a tank if you are careful. The FE tools you have in your Insight are the most advanced of any automobile made so learn to use them at a glance and you will be surprised with how great the Insight is in short order … I can tell you have already found this out

___And finally, enjoy your new ride as it is indeed a spectacular Hybrid. As John Travolta said in the soon to be released movie, Be Cool, “It is the Cadillac of Hybrid’s” and I think you know why

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___Waynegerdes@earthlink.net

Old 02-27-2005, 05:54 AM
Contributor ($)

Don,
Glad to hear about your new ride! 70 mpg is pretty darn good for a first ride! Congrats. I, too, would encourage the warm air mod, following the tips that xcel has laid out. It certainly can increase the mpg a bit more. Your other item on your to do list are right on track as well.
Happy Insight motoring!

Old 02-27-2005, 07:55 AM

To follow up on my first thoughts, I pumped the tires to 50 psig.

After hearing from excel, I feel that window tinting will be needed. Searching the web, I found some ceramic based window film from Germany... it's supposed to have better thermal properties. A local tint shop is familiar with it, have to go take a look.

I do park in a garage at home and luckily we have a covered parking lot at work. The car won't be baking in the sun. If I do park out in the open, the windows cracked open tip sounds good.

Regards,

Don

Old 02-27-2005, 04:35 PM
Contributor ($)

You must have been reading a lot! Good for you! I wish I would have had read some of the tips before purchasing my Insight. I had at least 3 months of less than optimum performance only because I did not search for and implement the strategies you are aware of.

Old 03-11-2005, 07:47 AM
Default Almost two weeks

After driving the Insight for about two weeks now, I'm getting better at my trip MPG avaerage, it's bouncing between 73 and 74 mpg, depending on how much traffic I hit. And I'm really enjoying the car.

Last week the windows were tinted with a ceramic window film made by Huper Optiks. Supposedly will give good thermal protection. Have to wait for the summer to find out. The windows are just slightly darker, does not create a night driving problem.

I installed the Husco armrest, no problem with the installation. Very easy.
This adds so much to the comfort of driving, highly recommended.

The floor mats ordered online came in two days ago, put them in before I beat up the carpet.

Looked at this Reflectix insulation at Home Depot, had an idea about installing it. The insulation looks like bubble wrap with a reflective covering. So I pulled up the cargo area carpet and cut two sections to size to fit under the carpet . It was an attempt to cut down on some of the road noise coming from the rear.

Also ordered new speakers for the doors from Crutchfield, hope they are delivered for the weekend. Turned off the rear speakers with the fader, it sounds better to me.

I was worried yesterday morning, Autostop appeared to stop working. Later on the drive home, it was working again. Must have been the cold morning.

Side note: What's up with InsightCentral? I can see the forum, but nothing else.

Regards,

Old 03-11-2005, 12:31 PM

I'm getting Insight envy all over again.

Old 03-29-2005, 05:38 AM
Enthusiast

I've noticed mentions of 0w30 oil helping MPG. Does this apply to any car, or only to an Insight? The same with tire pressure?

I am still shopping for a hybrid, and trying to decide between the models. I drove a Prius, but it was a beat up demo that made funny grinding noises that the saleman was clueless about. I haven't been able to find an Insight to drive in SE Michigan.
I love the feel of the Accord hybrid, but I am drawn to the incredible MPG reported by Insight drivers.

p

Old 03-29-2005, 06:33 AM
Default 0W-30 does help MPG....

Originally Posted by tdmsu
I've noticed mentions of 0w30 oil helping MPG. Does this apply to any car, or only to an Insight? The same with tire pressure?
I can comment on the 0W-30 oil from years of experience...I use the Amsoil Series 2000 0W-30 full synthetic, and have seem MPG increases in every car I put it into. And the tire pressure applies also to any car...higher PSI means less contact with the road and less friction, both which help MPG....
Happy Motoring !!!

Old 03-29-2005, 07:14 PM

Hi Tdmsu:

___0W-30 will help in the winter at initial light off when the oil and block are absolutely stone cold but as your ICE warms up to operating temps, that 30W will kill its FE capabilities vs. just about any other 20W out there. Even Amsoil’s 5W-20 has a higher 0 degrees and 100 degrees C Kinematic viscosity vs. Mobil1 0W-20. If you can find any Mobil1 0W-20 anywhere, buy it. The new Pennzoil - Hybrid 0W-20 is an unknown and until it is available for analysis or Pennzoil posts the kinematic viscosities, we won’t know if it is any good for maximum FE and protection or not? Its minimum pour point has been released IIRC but the devil is in the details …

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___Waynegerdes@earthlink.net

Quick Reply: First Drive in 2005 Insight

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands