need screws for wheel covers

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2006, 12:48 PM
Enthusiast
Question need screws for wheel covers

Anyone know where I can get ahold of one of the screws used to attach the wheel covers? The dealer wants $20 for ONE and I know I've seen similar screws elsewhere. Trips to local hardware stores come up empty as expected.

I don't know what they're called to do a Google search but I'd call them something like "slotted quarter or half-turn screw" since they have a small notch cut out on the bottom tip of the screw such that they only need a small turn before they lock. I can probably rig up a regular bolt and nut but for now, would like to see if I can find the real thing.

One of mine popped out last Monday as I was driving a twisty road and I heard this awful scraping sound. I thought a rock flew up and hit the car but since this is a 1 lane road with very few turn offs I couldn't pull over for about 2 miles. It turned out that the entire wheel cover was hanging from the back-most screw and had twisted itself such that it was inside out and had been dragging on its tip the whole while. To my amazement, virtually no damaged occured to the wheel cover, no scratches, or dents. The back screw held very well but the piece it's attached to (on the body) is slightly bent. I think it'd be easy to bend it back in place so the panel fits flush again. It took quite a while for me to unscrew it and I placed the panel in the back of the car. It felt weird driving w/o that panel and I'm sure I got more stares than usual as I drove it the next 15 miles to the dealer.

For now I used two thick tie wraps on each end to re-attach the wheel cover. It's worked fine for last 5 days although it's not a perfect fit (some gaps between the cover and the opening but that's due to the bent attachment point for the back screw).

Found this good pix on InsightCentral (which I think is dead since no replies to my request to join the list in last 6 months). It shows the screws although now w/the newer model, the problem he says of them rusting doesn't happen (mine are already black so assume coated properly). http://www.insightcentral.net/owners...fasteners.html

Thnx,
Deb

Last edited by debdeb; 02-19-2006 at 01:15 PM. Reason: want to add URL
Old 02-19-2006, 01:24 PM
Banned
Default Re: need screws for wheel covers

I just broke down and paid the $20. That's bad, but you could have to replace a $225 wheel cover like I did.

There might have been someone at that other forum suggesting you could find something at the Home Depot, etc. but did not find it (although you might....).

This is one of the few things I dislike about the Insight.

Old 02-19-2006, 01:35 PM
Enthusiast

Yes I am lucky the cover is just fine . I did more searching just now and now know the name of those things "Dzus" fastener pronounced doh-zoo and they're quick release quarter and half-turn screws. They seem popular on motorcycles and I found some here at www.racebolts.com (do a search for 'dzus') for less than $6 as well as a few other site. Still it irks me to pay that much but as you say, that's what we get for a very low volume car (not that car dealers don't already make most of their money on parts and used cars as I've been told many times). Actually, the fat tie wraps work quite well - just have to bend the other piece back and no one will know (until I forget it's there and need to put air in the tire or replace it) *ha*

I was wondering how much those skirts are, $225 yikes, glad mine is ok. The error is all my own fault as I took the skirt off when I was washing the car and apparently did a good job with the rear screw but not the front one. I'll never remove it again. I was really mad at my carelessness. It was so much work to get it back on I didn't bother removing the one on the other side (thank goodness).

Thnx, Deb

Old 02-19-2006, 09:08 PM
now Insight, had an HCH

I've heard these mentioned many times on the Honda-Hybrid group on Yahoo. Not sure if any of the people that have gotten them are on this site. I've heard of many people zip tying them such as you've done for security purposes. Lowes has an awesome bolt section too.

I remove my skirts about every 8 washes to thoroughly clean up in the wheel wells (I regularly drive on dirt roads though. I did the same thing as you the first time I removed them except I found my screw later on. (in the driveway)

Old 02-19-2006, 09:25 PM
Enthusiast

Good to know I'm not the only 'tie-wrapper' in the group. Unfortunately Home Depot dominates where I live (closest Lowe's is 65 miles) but I just saw a new Lowe's under construction with a Now Hiring sign displayed. It's closer to where I work (about 40 miles from home) so they should be open in a few months I'd guess. The one time I went to that far away Lowe's I did like their selection better than HD. I'm leery about taking those skirts off again, I'll let my husband do it so I can blame him if it happens again

I'll look through the Yahoo group but I now know what they're called (Dzus fasteners) and can find them online if desparate. Lesson learned.

Thnx,
Deb

Old 02-19-2006, 09:34 PM
Enthusiast

You mentioned that Honda Insight Yahoo list and I found it and that's the one I've been trying to get for last 6 months. I have never received a reply to join from the moderator. I thought the list was dead but see recent posts. Too bad there's no other way for me to contact the moderator and ask why I can't join (maybe it's run by an ex-boyfriend and he's avoiding me *HA*)
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/honda-insight/

Last edited by debdeb; 02-19-2006 at 09:36 PM. Reason: fix typo
Old 02-19-2006, 10:06 PM
Enthusiast
Thumbs up Re: need screws for wheel covers

I did a search on that Yahoo group you mentioned and even though I can't join the list, I was able to do a search and found a few posts about those screws (Dzus as they're called). One poster mentioned a company called Southco, http://www.southco.com/landingpages/dzus/ but after reviewing their site, they only sell through distributors.

I looked through their distributor list and as luck would have it, there is one just a few miles from where I work!! I'll stop by this week with my Dzus in hand and see if they'll sell me a few. (Hopefully they sell to individuals and not just businesses in quantity.) If I find they will sell me a few (I want some spares), I'll post again so that others can know where they might find some.

Hopefully they're much lower than the dealer's $20.

Thnx, Deb

Old 02-20-2006, 10:23 AM
Enthusiast

Ok here's an update.... no luck with finding the right screw. I went to the distributor listed on Southco's site as mentioned in another post and a) they only sell in quantity, b) they don't have those kind of screws for automative parts. The salesperson pronounced the screw as "zoo" not "doh-zoo" which I got from InsightCentral. I'll assume this distributor knows how to pronounce their name since she works in this field and that type of screw (Dzus) is common in other applications too (to temporarily hold panels in places for quick removal).

I think I'll just use a regular bolt and nut, not much harder to remove since I still have to use a screwdriver to remove it anyway. The tie-wrap is working fine for now but I'll do a better job this weekend.

Thanks all who replied, maybe others will have better luckk when and if they lose their Dzus

Deb

Old 02-20-2006, 01:31 PM
Enthusiast

Hi Deb; this is a subject I have LOTS of experience with. First, I always tell Insight owners to practice installing and removing the spats (wheel skirts) several times, over and over. I have owned 3 Insights, and have NEVER had a problem with the fasteners coming loose. After lots of practice, you get the "feel" of the half turn bolt. But just in case, I keep 3 or 4 spares on hand. Presently, you can purchase this item for $11.12 from Majestic Honda in Providence, RI. (hondaautomotiveparts.com) Just pick type of car, year trim, etc, and you will get a long list of parts categories. Choose "moldings" and it shows a drawing of the wheel spats. Part illustration #14 is the "fastener, wheel spat". I order alot of parts from this site, and keep spares of lots of items on hand. My own rule of thumb is, always replace the spats MYSELF, never let anyone else, especially a Honda dealer, do it. I hope this helps.......

Old 02-20-2006, 01:32 PM
Enthusiast
Smile Re: need screws for wheel covers

I found a supplier for those pesky screws!

http://www.directhondaparts.com

The part number from the dealer is "74434-S3Y-013" and they were selling them for $17.78 each + tax. The sales rep for this site said that Honda sells them to the dealer for $8.89 each. This site sell them for $11.86. This is a 33% markup, not the 100% markup from the dealer. They have no restocking fee (in case these turn out to be the wrong ones) and he said returns are no problem at all even if opened. I paid less than $5 for shipping FedX Ground, no tax. They were very responsive, answered my email about the part very quickly and I called them up to confirm that they had what I really needed. The person I talked to was the one who replied to my email and he was very friendly and helpful.

So that's not too bad, but it's nuts that Honda Motors charges their dealers almost $9 for a screw. Hopefully my investigative efforts will help others who get into the same situation and need to replace the screws (of course, just a regular nut/bolt with a washer would work too but slightly harder to remove).

Thnx,
Deb

Quick Reply: need screws for wheel covers

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands